Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 887803 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #2800 on: August 26, 2017, 03:15:27 PM »
The trip would have been a loss as the scrap yard is a good 40 mile round trip, but I was thinking ahead. I brought along a bucket full of dead motorsickle batteries  and sold them to a battery shop along the way. Another $4 just barely nudged me into the black. Momma didn't raise no fool...
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2801 on: August 26, 2017, 06:51:56 PM »
Oh man, there it is, laying there like a gauntlet, waiting to be picked up and mangled right into next week. But I ain't a- gonna' touch it, no Sir, not me.

This one day at some kind of a outdoor public event, we happened to meet a dog walking a couple of people leaving as we were arriving. So of course I stopped and talked with the dog for a bit- a beautiful female German Shepherd. Turns out, she was a former service dog, smart as the proverbial whip, and very exceedingly well trained. She just did not do any of the 'usual' dog stuff like chase food, even seem to notice other dogs, small animals (read: prey) and so on. But Mom (the woman of the couple with the dog) caught her a few times, laying down in the yard, just looking around when something like a squirrel would come into the yard and stop..... the dog looked at the squirrel and while she (the dog) thought no one was looking, slowly raised one lip in a very subtle snarl, then looked away. Now the dog did not even notice the squirrel, never mind even think about chasing it but apparently when she did notice the squirrel, she wanted the squirrel to know that she still knew she was a dog (predator) and would happily give chase, catch the squirrel and eat it for dinner..... had she not been so well trained that she did not notice the squirrel in the first place.  ;)  Just like me, too well mannered to even notice what Bob's Mamma may have or may not have done in the past.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

The trip would have been a loss as the scrap yard is a good 40 mile round trip, but I was thinking ahead. I brought along a bucket full of dead motorsickle batteries  and sold them to a battery shop along the way. Another $4 just barely nudged me into the black. Momma didn't raise no fool...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #2802 on: August 27, 2017, 08:41:20 PM »
Oil & filter.  Scraped off some bugs.

I cannot figure out why the pic shows up rotated in the post but is OK when I click on it to enlarge it.  What's the trick to getting pics to post in a less rotated manner?  I gotta know!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2803 on: August 29, 2017, 12:03:56 AM »
I cannot figure out why the pic shows up rotated in the post but is OK when I click on it to enlarge it.  What's the trick to getting pics to post in a less rotated manner?  I gotta know!

Can't tell you until you get 500 posts. :-X
  Be patient grasshopper, at 101 posts V'Jim sends you the secret handshake instructions and special decoder ring.  8)
But beware, if you post in the wrong section and max' has to move your post...its off to double secret probation for you! :(

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #2804 on: August 29, 2017, 12:55:18 AM »
  Be patient grasshopper, at 101 posts V'Jim sends you the secret handshake instructions and special decoder ring.  8)
But beware, if you post in the wrong section and max' has to move your post...its off to double secret probation for you! :(

I KNEW IT. Of course, the Secret Handshake with the classic Double Secret Probation penalty.  I shall be patient and learn from the Masters.  Many thanks for the enlightening words.   :)

Jon (aka Flounder)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2805 on: August 29, 2017, 08:12:36 AM »

No, I just deduct 100 points.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #2806 on: August 29, 2017, 10:50:13 PM »
Fitted a new PR4GT to the rear wheel, for the trip I'm about to take on Friday (1 September), being Spring day and all in the R of SA. I'll be doing about an 800 Mile round trip the weekend, attending the Eagle Rally in Worcester,  WC, RSA. (Yes, we have a town called Worcester in South Africa as well...... :D)

I ran with a Pirelli Angel GT before this, and it still had plenty of miles on it, but picked up something that cut it right on the edge of the tread groove. Had to double plug the tire to keep it inflated, and didn't trust it on the open road too much.

Rather safe than sorry, as one of my club members had the same thing happen recently. Difference is that he had to leave his bike and hitch-hike home on order to fetch his car and trailer to go and collect it again. That was a 274 mile round trip for him.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2807 on: August 30, 2017, 07:59:57 AM »

Rather safe than sorry, as one of my club members had the same thing happen recently. Difference is that he had to leave his bike and hitch-hike home on order to fetch his car and trailer to go and collect it again. That was a 274 mile round trip for him.

OUCH. And having never been to Africa myself, in my mind I'd be assuming the bike won't even be there when I get back.

Meh, nevermind, I'd think the same thing many places here in the US.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #2808 on: August 30, 2017, 11:43:36 PM »
OUCH. And having never been to Africa myself, in my mind I'd be assuming the bike won't even be there when I get back.

Meh, nevermind, I'd think the same thing many places here in the US.

The bike was parked at a small shop just outside of town, where the owner kept an eye on it for him. The condition was that he is leaving at 17H00 that afternoon, and the incident happened at 09H30 in the morning. He had to rush to get back on time with the trailer, otherwise the bike would've most definitely pulled a magic trick and disappeared.....

It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2809 on: September 02, 2017, 08:06:43 AM »
Repairing a broken fairing tab.

I had to first make the tab using the "modeling clay". Then I had to trim it more or less to fit where the tab is to be "affixed". Then you take more of that medium and basically "glue" it in position.

The photo was taken about 10 minutes after "gluing" the tab in position. I'll take my Dremel and shape it as needed, fill in any low spots, and when I'm done, I hope that fixes it. Fortunately no painting needed - this is all under the Tupperware.

Plastifix by Polyvance seems to be a pretty good fixer, provided you're willing to do a little sculpting, dremeling (it's that even a word?) and sanding.

Helluva lot cheaper than new Tupperware - especially that particular piece, which I didn't even bother to price knowing it was going to be several hundred dollars more than the Plastifix.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2810 on: September 02, 2017, 11:08:18 AM »
Plastifix by Polyvance seems to be a pretty good fixer, provided you're willing to do a little sculpting, dremeling (it's that even a word?) and sanding.

Just wondering how strong it could possibly be for such things.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #2811 on: September 02, 2017, 11:23:21 AM »

I had to first make the tab using the "modeling clay". Then I had to trim it more or less to fit where the tab is to be "affixed". Then you take more of that medium and basically "glue" it in position.

The photo was taken about 10 minutes after "gluing" the tab in position. I'll take my Dremel and shape it as needed, fill in any low spots, and when I'm done, I hope that fixes it. Fortunately no painting needed - this is all under the Tupperware.

Helluva lot cheaper than new Tupperware - especially that particular piece, which I didn't even bother to price knowing it was going to be several hundred dollars more than the Plastifix.
Been there done that.  Used a SS fender washer reamed a tad to accept the well nut while being snug.  That washer will tuck in behind broken tab and large enough to grab more plastic.  Anyway, it worked for me. 
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2812 on: September 02, 2017, 03:52:23 PM »

That's the same one I got that crumbled......among others.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2813 on: September 03, 2017, 05:51:22 AM »
Been there done that.  Used a SS fender washer reamed a tad to accept the well nut while being snug.  That washer will tuck in behind broken tab and large enough to grab more plastic.  Anyway, it worked for me.

I considered that, or something like it, but there wasn't enough of the perimeter to support the washer. Plus, I wanted to "build up" the tab with more plastic material, just to add some strength.

Mama Kawi got that design completely wrong, IMHO.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2814 on: September 03, 2017, 10:57:53 AM »
.... dremeling (it's that even a word?)....

Yes according to Google.....but so is Googling according to them. If it's still here in 50 years then we'll know for sure...about both words.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

That fix looks pretty good Eupher.  :thumbs:

The upper one is more difficult to reinforce but the lower one can be supplementally supported by a DIY metal bracket from the
mirror mounting bolts. I think (hope) that this takes some of the strain off of the upper one.  I have supports attached to the upper ones for the
dash shelf on mine but I think the strain is transferred through the top cover down to the metal reinforcement, as so far the uppers haven't deteriorated
any further than the initial cracks. The upper well nuts are cranked pretty tight in my set up to keep the dash shelf from flexxing on bumpy pavement.
I suppose that a thicker and longer piece of steel could be made to reinforce both well nuts,...... someday.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2815 on: September 05, 2017, 02:56:19 PM »
Yes according to Google.....but so is Googling according to them. If it's still here in 50 years then we'll know for sure...about both words.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

That fix looks pretty good Eupher.  :thumbs:

The upper one is more difficult to reinforce but the lower one can be supplementally supported by a DIY metal bracket from the
mirror mounting bolts. I think (hope) that this takes some of the strain off of the upper one.  I have supports attached to the upper ones for the
dash shelf on mine but I think the strain is transferred through the top cover down to the metal reinforcement, as so far the uppers haven't deteriorated
any further than the initial cracks. The upper well nuts are cranked pretty tight in my set up to keep the dash shelf from flexxing on bumpy pavement.
I suppose that a thicker and longer piece of steel could be made to reinforce both well nuts,...... someday.

Hey, I like that setup. Seems much more secure than ... plastic.

In the event this sort of thing happens again, I'll take a look at it from your angle.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2816 on: September 05, 2017, 02:58:15 PM »
In other news, rode 200+ miles from the Mississippi Delta to Little Rock, AR, where the Connie will set up permanent residence.

The bike will be much more entertained with the Ozarks beckoning nearby.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2817 on: September 10, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »
Replaced the 2025 battery [cell] in the active transponder fob.  It seems to always last about 2 years (ironically, just like my car one).  Considering how big/thick the active fob is, it is strange/annoying they didn't use a more standard 2032- that would probably last 3 years and yet add almost nothing to the weight or size.  Oh well.

Last weekend my Zumo started freaking out, giving me strange errors when in the base, then it stopped charging/operating from the base.  Today I cleaned ALL the connections and checked the powerlet outlet is actually supplying power (it is), so not sure what to do now.  Yeesh.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline TAL2013C14

« Reply #2818 on: September 10, 2017, 07:34:40 PM »
Installed T-Rex lowering links & replacement kickstand, and handlebar risers.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2819 on: September 10, 2017, 10:02:10 PM »
Also need to lower the front, to equal the rear height.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:53:36 AM by connie_rider »