Author Topic: tire pressure  (Read 6863 times)

Offline buzz

tire pressure
« on: October 11, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »
My just rebuilt 2000 is running fine, got a 200m ride done on Saturday. Was able to enjoy the bike for first long ride.
One thing I did notice is this bike seems to wander quite a bit at hwy speeds, 65+mph. I understand the Connie has a bigger profile and would be subject to cross winds more than my old , heavy V-twin. Bike has Dunlop StreetMAx tires front and rear, both with lots of tread. They are rated for max 42 psi. I was running 34 in the front and 38 in the rear. Any chance the pressures need adjusting, up or down? Open to any other suggestions to get the connie more firmly planted on the road.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Summit670

Re: tire pressure
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:05:06 PM »
The manual for my 1987 says 42 rear and 36 front so I'd check your manual psi and try that first.

Many people recommend 40 in front to reduce cupping on some tires.   

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 06:32:27 AM »
The manual for my 1987 says 42 rear and 36 front so I'd check your manual psi and try that first.

Many people recommend 40 in front to reduce cupping on some tires.
Yup I have pretty much ran 40 front and 42 rear in every tire that i have put on the ol girl
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:43:35 AM »
Same here. Many of us run 40 front and 42 rear.
Of course what you dont know is that you want a fork brace,   stiffer front springs and  cartridge emulators and a C14 rear shock.
You will really  like how well planted it will feel  both on the corners and in turbulent winds
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 01:52:23 PM »
It seems like some think the brace is helpful and others don't. I was/am thinking of one. I currently have stock springs but the bike came with some progressives. Hmmmm, springs and emulaters first or a brace?
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 02:37:14 PM »
It sounds like the low tire pressure (mainly the front) is your primary issue, but ....

You could always cut 4-5 inches of the soft (tighter coiled) section of the stock springs and add an equal length spacer back to stiffen up the front end.  Drain and replace the fork fluid with 15w or 10w.  Most use 15w.  I did it to mine and it made a big difference in firmness and tracking.  No more meandering.  The stock springs give a nice older Cadillac style ride (floats along), not a nice and tight sport ride which sounds like what you are after.

You may also want to check the steering bearing for tightness and the swing arm pivot bolt for correct torque.  The foot scoops can also mess with you at higher speeds near other vehicles.  That large fairing can easily be pushed by a side wind also - especially if the bike is unstable to begin with.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline buzz

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 03:41:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Will definately boost the air pressure F/R and see if there's improvement. Work on the forks will need to wait for later in the winter.
Buzz

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 05:25:34 PM »
Read the FAQs:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=583.0
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=572.0
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=27.0

Please remember, one owner's wobble is another's wiggle. It's all subjective. The "cure" for one might not fix your bike. Try all the free stuff before throwing money at the problem.

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 12:36:21 AM »
Try all the free stuff before throwing money at the problem.

+1
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline buzz

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 03:32:15 PM »
Pumped up both tires, 38 frt, 40 back, put 25 psi in the rear shock and set preload at # 3. What an improvement. Wandering in the lane about 90% gone, was still quite windy today, but the bike felt much more stable and tracked a lot better.
Thanks for the advice! Still want to work on the forks this winter.

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
I didn't find a fork brace of any real help -- tire pressure, steering bearings, and a hint from SiSF to make sure the swing arm bearings are properly lubed and pre-loaded make significantly more difference.

Offline roadrunner322

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 08:00:31 PM »
I admit I don't know a bunch about bike suspensions.  However, a small part of this "problem" I think is the geometry of the front suspension.  My other two street bikes have the front axle in front of the forks instead of in line with the forks.  Having the axle in front of the forks decreases  "trail" and improves the tracking in a straight line.  The C10 front geometry is set up for cornering more so than other "street" bikes.

My ZN700 also has a little more "rake" which further improves straight line tracking.
Currently Own
1985 Kawasaki ZN700

Offline goatmar

• Go where God wants you.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 07:49:43 PM »
Running 42 in both tires. front 130/70/18 E3, rear 180/60/17 roadsmart
Dave Muzzey
COG#7957
'01 Connie "BLUE"