Author Topic: Last issue I hope  (Read 25171 times)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Last issue I hope
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2014, 05:30:37 AM »
The valves on a C-10 tick.  There are no shims.  They do not run "quiet" as they are not hydraulic.  When adjusted correctly the engine sounds like a sewing machine.  There is a saying that goes "Happy valves are tappy valves".  This pretty much applies to this bike.

This of course is not to say that your's are either in or out of adjustment, but rather what you are looking for.  Most people who adjust their own tend to set them on the high end of the scale as they will tighen up over time.  This would mean .007" for intake and .009" on the exhaust for a room temperature engine.  They will never be "quiet".  If they get quiet, they may not be sealing and you could be burning a valve.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2014, 05:47:46 AM »
Thank you. I think that I have right then.  The idea of the shims came from the dealer. So now it. Ones down to the little list above and some nice long rides through the mountains

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2014, 06:03:54 AM »
Thank you. I think that I have right then.  The idea of the shims came from the dealer. So now it. Ones down to the little list above and some nice long rides through the mountains

If the "DEALER" said shims on a 28 year old bike then find another one.... Dealer that is !!!
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2014, 07:19:39 AM »
That is now what I am thinking

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2014, 07:27:41 AM »
That is now what I am thinking

Not that some bikes did not use shims back then because some indeed did but a comment such as that proves he knows nothing about this motor or it's many bothers and sisters such as the ZX and ZL.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2014, 06:05:41 PM »
Understand, but the great things is when I asked about the cost of an adjustment the "depends on the shims" was an immediate answer not about checking to see if they had them or not/ Oh well thing to grow on

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2014, 05:31:34 PM »
New issue.  It was running great and then I let it sit for a week and now the throttle sticks. Checked the cables and the snap back as they should. Lost as to what would cause this new issue. I am thinking about just dropping it off at the shop with get this going and I've done all this and hand them the list ..... :'(

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »
NOOOoooooo , after all this you're going to take it to a shop? :_shudder_Emoticon

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2014, 06:14:27 PM »
Ok spoke fast but I want to ride more then fix and I am going to order new cables tonight and give that a shot and while installing them look at everything else

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2014, 07:43:56 AM »
Just ordered my replacement throttle cables and a cable lubricator so I guess I fight it out. The old cables were damaged at the adjuster so I guess it was just a matter of time before this happened. Better now then when going down the highway at 65...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2014, 09:12:45 AM »
 :thumbs: soldier on Mr. Gilbert

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2014, 09:36:36 AM »
Is there a diagnosis of motorcycle insanity? After all this I just placed an order with Snarf for the backoff kit. I had it plugged but I figured that after all this might as well go with the clean look as well. :o

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2014, 11:14:40 AM »
Yes..there is. And we can only treat the symptoms as there is no cure.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2014, 05:04:00 AM »
When adjusting your new cables, make sure there is a small amount of slack or "play" in them.  If you don't leave any play, they tend to bind.  They might operate smooth, but won't return on their own.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2014, 05:35:46 PM »
Thanks,

I have a few thinks that I will check while doing the cables. Now I am thinking about a paint job. I am thinking of candy apple red over a black base,,, I have my air brush kit that I haven't had the chance to use in a while. I am thinking of maybe some design, dragon, scorpion or something as well....  time will tell

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2014, 05:18:49 AM »
Not mine, just always thought it was pretty neat.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2014, 07:28:02 AM »
Looks cool but I am think of going with a hidden type design using transparent candy apple over black. One of those must look twice to what is there type looks.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2014, 10:10:33 AM »
I have been vandalized. My throttle was sticking over the past week and knew that something wasn't right. I also knew that I had to replace my throttle cables and figured that was the issue. Order a pair and went to put them on this morning and found that someone decided that the want to break stuff on the bike. I am happy that I did not start the thing as I found saw dust in the radiator hoses. I started to pull everything apart to fix this and a couple of cur wires and found that the must jammed something into where the throttle cables hook to the card because that broke that white metal hosing where the linkage is screwed to the carbs. The nipple that the screw goes into has been broke off the carb and was wondering if there is anyway of fixing this w/o buying new carbs. If that is the only option I think it will be sold as is as I think I am damned with this thing. I did at least pull, flush and install the coolant system

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2014, 01:20:01 PM »
Has anyone tried that JB Weld on parts like this? I and thinking of giving it a try.

Rad system is clean, flushed and soon to be filled
Fuel and vacuum lines replaces
Had marine 2 and 3 wire connectors so I have fixed the wires
Side cover will be fixed as I still have enough plastic fix for that

Carb - hope the JB Weld will do the trick .. open to ideas

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2014, 04:17:45 PM »
Decided to thy the JB Weld and the putty. Will let the weld dry for the next couple of days and then I will use the putty to reinforce the whole thing. I figured the I have nothing to loose as if it did not work then I will need to replace the housing. I may buy a game came to watch the place one this is finished.....