Author Topic: How the Duke Engines increases the efficiency of the internal combustion engine  (Read 6403 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

I would like to hear it run!!  I wonder how it will be gyroscopically speaking?

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
No different than a radial engine in an aeroplane. Once it's spooled up...

In a scooter, different story.... maybe. Depends on how the crank is oriented in the frame.

Cool concept though, very cool.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Actually, very different than an aircraft radial.  Radials have a conventional crankshaft with a single (for a single-row engine or more for multiple rows) crankpin and the conn rods are connected to the master rod knuckle so they all go around at the same time.  (Not to be confused with the original rotary engines that had the crankshaft bolted to the airframe and the whole engine rotated around it.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_engine#Distinction_between_.22rotary.22_and_.22radial.22_engines

This Duke "axial engine" is actually a form of "wobble-plate" engine, the design of which has been around for decades.  Very simple, very powerful for size.

Their difference seems to be that the pistons circle around inside the case, where a regular wobble plate engine, the cylinders/pistons are in fixed bores and just go up and down.

https://www.google.com/#q=wobble+plate+engine

https://www.google.com/#q=dynacam+engine&revid=469752981

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:16:44 AM by Nosmo »
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Cuda

Wonder how it does on emissions ? in todays world very important,
I hope it works out, what they are comming out with today is soooooooo complicated in order to make power , low emissions and economy, very fresh thinking. 
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Top of the "cylinders slide past ports". How is that sealed and how long do the seals last?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Wonder how it does on emissions ? in todays world very important,
I hope it works out, what they are comming out with today is soooooooo complicated in order to make power , low emissions and economy, very fresh thinking.

Fusion power...quite simple.  Takes one shrimp per vehicle.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Right- what they are calling a 'wobble' plate is a swash plate as used on helicopter rotors, hydraulic pumps, etc.

There are some problems with that design, the first of which is that the port timing is interrelated and not independant from each other as nail valves are. In other words, one cannot control the timing as well but especially not the valve (port in this case) opening rate; a simple fact of life is that mushroom valves open and close very quickly and so spend most of their 'open' time very much open. Ports like this, also used in a Wankle design, are opened and closed at the rate the plate under them can pass by and the rates themselves are fixed. The second problem is that there must be some type of sliding plate, or metal seal above each piston; this is fine for intake but suffers on the exhaust stroke where there is zero lubricant on that seal. Again, a common problem that is shared with the Wankle and shows up as short seal life, and excessive oil consumption.

There really are sound physical reasons why a mushroom valved, reciprocating piston engine has been chosen as the powerplant of choice. Others certainly have specific benefits (two cycle engines are simpler and rev. higher, Wankles have an extremely high power to weight ratio, etc.) but in the end, the best overall performing engine is the one that goes back over two centuries. I know a lot of people think it is a conspiracy by someone / some entity, or that that really clever guy has not come along yet but physics really does rule the day here and what we have is about as good as it is likely to get for internal combustion engines.

Brian

Actually, very different than an aircraft radial.  Radials have a conventional crankshaft with a single (for a single-row engine or more for multiple rows) crankpin and the conn rods are connected to the master rod knuckle so they all go around at the same time.  (Not to be confused with the original rotary engines that had the crankshaft bolted to the airframe and the whole engine rotated around it.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_engine#Distinction_between_.22rotary.22_and_.22radial.22_engines

This Duke "axial engine" is actually a form of "wobble-plate" engine, the design of which has been around for decades.  Very simple, very powerful for size.

Their difference seems to be that the pistons circle around inside the case, where a regular wobble plate engine, the cylinders/pistons are in fixed bores and just go up and down.

https://www.google.com/#q=wobble+plate+engine

https://www.google.com/#q=dynacam+engine&revid=469752981
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
The simple way is nothing but very close metal fit between the cylinder and the outer shell that the ports are in (the video does not really show that intermediate part). A better way is a metal or ceramic ring, spring loaded to bear against the outer shell and fit into a groove in the inner, rotating member. Either way, lifespan will not be long due to the inability of that seal being able to carry any lubrication past the exhaust and power portions of the cycle.

Brian

Top of the "cylinders slide past ports". How is that sealed and how long do the seals last?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
Turns out they have a website, with a FAQ.

From the FAQ:
http://www.dukeengines.com/technology/faq/#type

WHAT ABOUT SEALS?
The Duke sliding seal arrangement is analogous in function to a ported 2-stroke or Wankel engine port sealing, allowing similar technologies to be applied.  The Duke uses sliding metallic seals operating on an oil film. Materials used are those found in production road vehicles.  The V3i engine has seals which are of a simple design and operate at modest contact stress and sliding velocities. Oil film calculations conducted support good nominal lubricating film thickness.

All V3i gasoline and Jet A1 testing to date (March 2012) has been completed with a single set of prototype seals which remain in good condition.  These seals will be reassembled into an engine for further testing without modification or repair.

Duke challenges in seal development are much less than in a 2-stroke or in the Wankel engine due to lower sliding velocity and a flat monoplane sealing surface (Wankel has 3 seal faces, 1 curved, that meet at a corner, seals).  So far, our sliding seal challenges are proving to be modest in reality.

The valveless porting comment is also interesting.  Essentially the 3 intake and exhaust ports are always open.  Not having to divert horsepower to the valve train should mean an increase in overall power output, IF they can control the mixture adequately.  They seem to think they can. 

The other question will be if it can pass emissions standards.  One of the reasons compressions were lowered in current gasoline powered vehicles (as I understand - premature detonation is another reason) was because of the complex molecule chains that are produced/emitted by gasoline engines at higher compressions.  Otherwise, we'd have higher compression gasoline powered domestic vehicles today.  More compression generally means more horsepower, which is why the 60's era muscle cars are more powerful than some of their later counterparts.

Duke is claiming a 14 to 1 compression ratio using gasoline with no detonation in the video.  The FAQ notes that a variety of fuels could be used.  I'd be interested to see their emissions numbers.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
Also, here's a fun link about axial internal combustion engines (also known as barrel engines):
http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/POWER/unusualICeng/axial-ICeng/axial-IC.htm
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline ManofManyGTs

Cool. Here it is running I think: Low vibration engine with lighter weight
2012 C14: Bar raisers, bag protection, magnetic tank bra, PCA rack and back rest, V&H slip-on, BMC race filter, and Guhl tune