Author Topic: Mad Max in NYC  (Read 8580 times)

Offline blue14

• Arena
Re: Mad Max in NYC
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 06:49:31 AM »
http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/10/run_over_mass_biker_has_long_criminal_record

Edwin Mieses, 32, never got a driver’s license in the Bay State, the Registry of Motor Vehicles said, but he was frequently nabbed behind the wheel, and even sentenced to jail for driving without a license, court records show. Mieses has a pending case out of Lawrence District Court for driving suspended, subsequent offense, said Carrie Kimball Monihan, spokeswoman for the Essex County District Attorney’s Office. Mieses also has 15 guilty findings for criminal offenses including distribution of cocaine, possession of a firearm without a permit, knowingly receiving stolen property, resisting arrest and several motor vehicle violations, court records show. - See more at: http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/10/run_over_mass_biker_has_long_criminal_record#sthash.JdgPBGAV.dpuf

Edwin is also a member of Law-town Riders. 

We do our best to avoid these fellas.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 10:05:48 AM »
wow, don't hardly know how to respond.
It doesn't really matter what happened before the video started.  Maybe the SUV driver was an idiot.  Not relevant.  You (and 30 or your friends) cannot chase someone down, force your way into their vehicle, drag them out of their vehicle and then beat them half to death.  In the interest of full disclosure, I have wanted to do that to someone before, more than one someone.  However, I know that would be illegal and I would quite possibly end up in jail.  Vigilante justice is illegal in the country.

But it IS OK for some guy to run over some motorcyclists then flee the scene? And you think finding out the whole story isn't relevant?

Sorry, I was just pointing out that what you see in the news is slanted to increase ratings, and I'd like to know the true story before I condemn the motorcyclists.

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 10:56:57 PM »
See the above post. He was a real angel.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
All's I have to say is in my case, here in Texas, if some idiot came at me smashing my window with his helmet, well let's just they wouldn't be looking to find out who he was. They would have know because he would be in the hospital (maybe) due to lead poisoning.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 12:16:57 AM »
Smashing the window came after he ran over said human,
not sure what I would do If my friend just got RUN OVER
I would not run over a dog,
I wonder if they did a toxicology report on the Range Rover driver , We all know many are on  pills or coke these days ...

Time will tell

Saw several dirt bikers in the group of hellions , those guys are EVIL for sure ...     
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2013, 06:11:03 AM »
My statement is not a reflection on either the driver of the Range Rover or the Bikers. I am just saying that regardless of the situation, if somebody came up to my vehicle and smashed the window they would either be in the hospital or dead.

I am still waiting to find out all of the facts, but regardless of that, what the bikers should have done is follow him and call the police and have him arrested. I understand that the video is actually longer than what was posted. I think what it may show is what happened more at the beginning than at the end.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 02:15:17 PM »
Playing devils advocate here.  Would the SUV driver been in his rights to pull out a weapon and shoot the rider who initially slowed in front of him?  My opnion on this entire event is still mixed, I am certain that the actions at the end were wrong, a vigilante act without doubt.  I am also convinced that the SUV driver played a large part in what happened.  I am also confused as to how the ride itself was illegal, I would make a large wager the group committed illegal acts during the ride and I believe the driver was indeed in fear-after he ran over the rider who slowed in front of him, I also believe he committed an assault (first rider he hit, second time he was indeed and rightly so in fear of his safety) with a deadly weapon, no differant than the act the riders did once he was stopped.  The only innocents involved are the wife and baby in the SUV.  2 things happened, mob menatallity and a drivers false sense of security.  I apologize for the run on sentence, kinda rambling.  I just have a hard time pinning the blame on one side.  If we removed the child and wife from the scenario how would the collective "we" feel?  Remove the emotional response and please consider each act in the order committed.
If I were the driver of the SUV I would have NOT HIT the rider.  If the driver had NOT HIT the rider we have no idea would would have happened after.  I do know that if a rider took his helmet off and bashed in the window he would require medical attention or funeral home care.  Why oh why is the intitial action (as recorded) being ignored by the masses?  I am certain this wasn't the first vehicle this group passed or the first vehicle slowed down as these groups will do a rolling slowdaown so they can stunt on a clear road.  Illegal as all get out, but as has been said, who made either party judge, jury, and executioner.  IMHO I truly believe if the driver or his wife had made a call (after stopping) this never would have happened.  To restate, what occured at the end is wrong and the perps must be help accountable.  I also believe the driver should be held accountable for his actions as well.

So, what can we as riders do?  Become a mentor to younger riders, discuss these types of events openly and without bias.  If these younger riders want speed, encourage time at the track, if stunting is the goal locate a place free of cars, secure permission, and do it in a controlled manner.  I for one find dirt to be the best place for stunt type riding, maybe encourage more riders to the dirt where these acts are OK.

FWIW, I am kinda tired of all the attention this is getting in the media, yet so very little on the recent terrorist takedowns in Somalia and Syria.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 03:08:42 PM »
From what I've seen from pictures, video, and eyewitness statements on TV... the wife's window was smashed as well, she was being pulled from the SUV when a man came to her aid.  We have undercover NYPD that were part of the ride, but didn't participate in the rage... but did see things.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57606274/off-duty-police-officers-part-of-group-involved-in-nyc-motorcycle-road-rage-incident/
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2013, 04:50:08 PM »
The rider who slowed down in front of the suv and got hit was not the one run over. That rider had minor injuries. The suv pulled over after the first contact and was surrounded. The suv then pulled away and ran over a rider who stopped in front of him.  Just what I can see.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 05:15:17 PM »
The rider who slowed down in front of the suv and got hit was not the one run over. That rider had minor injuries. The suv pulled over after the first contact and was surrounded. The suv then pulled away and ran over a rider who stopped in front of him.  Just what I can see.
Agreed.  It is my belief that the SUV driver said screw it and hit the first rider out of road rage, something along the lines of "I aint gonna stop, screw it".  The second incident he was indeed in fear as he knew they were mad because he hit one of their riders.  Cause and effect.  Short of knowing what led up to the bikers slowing in front of the SUV it could be argued that the first use of force was the SUV driver, which quickly spiraled out of control.
All bits of fact need to be studied before any definitive conclusion can be made.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 05:40:04 PM »
We don't know if the suv driver was looking straight ahead to see the bike slow down or if he was looking side to side or checking the mirrors. The suv drivers actions do not scream road rage to me but panic and fear.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 06:33:43 PM »
And inatentive driving is still no reason for excuse.  Surely once he hit the bike he knew something had happened, yet he still left, surely in fear by now by his own action or lack of action.  This driver is not faultless and I still hold to the fact that everything must be looked at with clarity, not clouded with emotion.  Would this driver be held as an innocent if he had "accidently" shot the rider?  Deadly force is deadly force.

I am still playing devils advocate as I really do not have a solid opinion on this incident as I do not have all the facts.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 06:44:30 PM »
Is it inattenion to be looking for a way out of being surrounded by a bunch of hooligan bikers and not expect an idiot to swerve in front of of you and slow down?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 07:07:12 PM »
He was in the middle lane and the rider didn't do a sudden swerve or a hard braking.  The rider is clearly seen looking back as he applied his brakes.  In all that time surely the driver would have seen him.  Was the rider "acting stupidly" ( ;)) Yes.  Did this stupid move need to be countered with a bumper?  If I ran over every stupid person I saw on the street I would be in jail.  This is an emotional case because of the sheer number of riders and the reputation they have built for themselves, please believe me when I say I have no sorrow for them or for the rider who may never walk again, he got what he gave, IOW, Karma came a calling.  I also believe that the driver will get his own form of Karma, whatever that may be.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
well well well....
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2013, 10:53:16 AM »
the plot thickens....what a fine web we weave....

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/08/20870446-undercover-cop-seen-on-video-attacking-suv?lite

so tell me, if the undercover cop got run over, what the suv driver be guilty of assault on a police officer.... or even better yet, would they turn it into attempted aggravated homicide ??

yeah, betyerazz they would...

this cops days are numbered now.... along with the other 4 supposed undercover cops in the pack....

sweet.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2013, 11:06:20 AM »
And what does it say about these cops that they would be riding with what is essentially and outlaw group that likes to speed, terrorize other drivers, and pedestrians also like to go stunting, riding on sidewalks, passing illegally, etc.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2013, 12:15:33 PM »
The operative word is under cover. The question is how far do they go while under cover?
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2013, 12:50:24 PM »
As I understand it there may have been one person undercover, and even at that the question is whether he was actually undercover at the time or if that was his position outside of biking. I think it very doubtful that all 5, or however many there were, were undercover at the same time within that group.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 04:05:18 PM »
Did you read the posted artical?

May have?

Wow.

Seemed pretty clear to me, seeing as statements in writing are subject to legal action if  they are not true.... ::)

I suggest you turn on the news.... the cop has been charged.....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 06:23:26 AM »
I said may have because there was some ambiguous information at the time. It is constantly changing and there could have been more than one. I heard on the local news this morning that there may have been two undercover cops there, both of which were off duty.

Also, I listen to the news all day and watch it at night so I get plenty of information. Not sure why you are so snarky about it. Please let me know when we actually have ALL of the information, then maybe I can make an intelligent response in this thread that would seem to you that I have some knowledge.