Author Topic: pop rivets for saddlebag lids  (Read 1917 times)

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
pop rivets for saddlebag lids
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:53:33 AM »
  Afer my accident I am considering replacing the plastic myself and had a question about what pop river gun to buy to install new saddlebag lids.  I assume you drill out the old pop rivets.  Any help or suggestions would be welcome.
  Also need to replace the tupperware upper and lower  on the right side, should I order new fasteners there?
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: pop rivets for saddlebag lids
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »
You'll probably need to order everything that goes with said tupperware.  Remember, when you order a piece of bodywork, nothing, absolutely nothing comes with it.  Heat shielding...no.   Well nuts.......no.  Nothing.  So either you can scavenge the attached bits or buy them new.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 03:40:26 PM »
You'll probably need to order everything that goes with said tupperware.  Remember, when you order a piece of bodywork, nothing, absolutely nothing comes with it.  Heat shielding...no.   Well nuts.......no.  Nothing.  So either you can scavenge the attached bits or buy them new.

That is true, you need to order everything. Including the pop rivets
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline G-Mazz

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 10:48:58 PM »
An easier and likely much cheaper alternative than purchasing rivots from Kawasaki would be to purchase 4mm hex bolts and nylon lock nuts.  I purchased mine at Lowe's in hardware dept.  They have a section with large pull out drawers.  I think I used 10mm long bolts. 

Pretty cheap fix and no messing around trying to get the head of the rivot gun in those tight spots.
Good luck with your repair, Gary

'08 C-14

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 04:09:28 PM »
An easier and likely much cheaper alternative than purchasing rivots from Kawasaki would be to purchase 4mm hex bolts and nylon lock nuts.  I purchased mine at Lowe's in hardware dept.  They have a section with large pull out drawers.  I think I used 10mm long bolts. 

Pretty cheap fix and no messing around trying to get the head of the rivot gun in those tight spots.
Good luck with your repair, Gary

Wouldn't security be an issue with that?  ???