Author Topic: 08 front and rear weave or wobble... is this common?  (Read 12267 times)

Offline LandRocket

08 front and rear weave or wobble... is this common?
« on: September 28, 2015, 08:43:24 AM »
Did a 4 hour run yesterday with about 1 hour interstate time. Around or on 90 mph i could feel the steering start to slightly wobble and the tail weave. I was not loaded, bags on, suspension set at factory. Road as good and stock windshield all the way up.

I am 5,7 and at 165 pounds, slowing down would remove the weave. Is this common or do i need to tight up the front suspension or something?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: 08 front and rear weave or wobble... is this common?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:14:41 AM »
Front tire or steering stem bearing needs service.

Offline LandRocket

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:25:34 AM »
front tire looks fine but it does have a side groove in it. the tread looks good still. the stem feels fine but i have not really looked more into it. I will review this afternoon.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 10:30:39 AM »
How many pounds of air in the tires?  What brand tires? 
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline LandRocket

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »
39 - 40 PSI depending on ride time.
They look like michelin radial 2CT, just bought the bike around 1 month ago so its the tires it had on it.

front 120/70
back 190/50

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 11:06:41 AM »
Try 42/42...  I find that the C14 is a picky animal when it comes to tires and air pressure sometimes...     
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline LandRocket

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 12:27:27 PM »
I will try that.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 03:45:16 PM »
Also, the steering can get flaky/wobbly at certain points when lightly turning/cornering if you have a flat spot worn into the front tire.   Although it doesn't sound like that matches your situation, it is something to throw out there.

Like others said, low hanging fruit is to check tire pressures to make sure they really are at 42 PSI cold.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline LandRocket

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 06:36:25 PM »
I do have a flat spot on my tires,

i didn't think it was much of a worry as the tread is still there. So with the flat spot that alone should not warrant a new tire?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 06:45:26 PM »
If it's the cause of your ill handling I would think yes.

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 07:15:55 PM »

i didn't think it was much of a worry as the tread is still there. So with the flat spot that alone should not warrant a new tire?

I kept old tires on a 919 I bought used.  blah blah blah long story -- Will never waiver on a tire again.  Any question, it comes off.  Don't know you or your experience, but think I'm right on this. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 08:07:05 PM »

I got flats on mine but it don't wobble like a weeble.  Tires, wheel bearings, wheel balance or stem bearings can cause wobble.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 08:26:31 PM »
I don't know which terms fit what :)

When I develop a bad flat spot, the bike won't want to hold a light corner because it will try to ride on an angled part of the tread making it "squirrely".  It also resists starting to turn.  The unpredictability can be annoying.  It is one of the things people notice the most when getting a new tire- how easily, smoothly, and predictably it will turn/corner.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 04:01:48 AM »
It's a funny thing about tire wear.  I took my bike in for an inspection some months back and the service manager (Honda dealer) asked me if I was having handling issues with it.  I said no I'm not.  It handles just as good as it always has.  Maybe I don't run it like a GP rider, but I don't ride it like it's a cruiser either.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 05:42:57 AM »
It's a funny thing about tire wear.  I took my bike in for an inspection some months back and the service manager (Honda dealer) asked me if I was having handling issues with it.  I said no I'm not.  It handles just as good as it always has.  Maybe I don't run it like a GP rider, but I don't ride it like it's a cruiser either.

Not all "flat" is created equal.  HOW it is worn can matter a lot.  And that will depend on tire type, tire age, riding style, pressures, temperatures, road styles, and road surfaces.

Offline LandRocket

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 10:45:51 AM »
Oh so many variables,

i already had the front tire off as i did a rotor replace and checked the front bearings. the steering stem seams fine. Both front and back tire have the cup on the right side. i was not too worried about it but now since i have a trip coming up that will take about a 6 hour ride and burn through some mountain roads, i am wondering if it would be best to just get new tires so i won't have not cornering issues or un-predictability.

what is the worst that wobble can turn into, tank slapper? I have been riding since the 90s so i am no expert but also never experience this before.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 11:40:07 AM »
Tank slapper for sure...  Easy enough to get new tires.  In fact, that may be a good idea as you don't know their past history.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 12:47:08 PM »
Oh so many variables,

i already had the front tire off as i did a rotor replace and checked the front bearings. the steering stem seams fine. Both front and back tire have the cup on the right side. i was not too worried about it but now since i have a trip coming up that will take about a 6 hour ride and burn through some mountain roads, i am wondering if it would be best to just get new tires so i won't have not cornering issues or un-predictability.

what is the worst that wobble can turn into, tank slapper? I have been riding since the 90s so i am no expert but also never experience this before.

New information here. Redo the wheel installation procedure.

Offline LandRocket

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 02:43:30 PM »
I could redo the install but what is it i am looking for? the install went smooth and to my knowledge i did not miss anything.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 04:11:51 PM »
Up to you on what you want to do but I'd replace the tires first.