Author Topic: Vic Ray(VixFix Custom Performance). Rear foot peg extension installation.  (Read 7350 times)

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
I have tried to install a new set of Vic Ray rear foot peg extensions today. All attempts have been unsuccessful, so far.
Needless to say I, am feeling frustrated.  I have attempted to utilize the factory taper shim. That comes with the factory
rear foot pegs. Holding the shim I, have tried the varied ways to put in the Aluminum lowering part. Without the shim, it
fits very loose. There is about a 1/16" gap without the tapering shim. With the tapering shim in place. It is to tight to slip
the lowering part in to place.  So here I am, to ask for help from the members.  Has any of the forum members, successfully
installed a set of rear foot pegs on a Connie.  I'm open to all constructive replies.  I thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:57:49 PM by sf bay rider »
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
I have used thin stainless steel washers in my peg installs, mine were with a mix of Kuryakyn parts making passenger boards.

Offline sf bay rider

I have tried varied thickness of flat washers, but still to no avail. I even tried using a Dremel tool to grind down a nylon washer to help it fit. The tolerance is that close. It looks that I, may need to have the parts machined to remove a few thousands of an inch to allow the use of the tapered shim or flat washers to have the parts fit. For the $115.00 spent. This should be a simple install of bolting the pieces in place.  Instead of having to custom fit them. This is absolutely ridiculous. Thank you for your reply.

Vic Ray, has written me and suggested I, use a few washers to take up the slack and no one would know the difference.  Yeah Right! So much for a reasonable redress. 

Jack, those brackets vary from run to run according to where Kawasaki is buying them from. We have never used the tapering shim and have found the brackets vary from bike to bike. The play within the bracket won't hurt anything but if it bothers you you can use a couple of thin washers to take out the play. Kawasaki has those parts made from more than one vender so there is some  variance between bikes. One or two thin washers will work and no one will ever know it's there.

Kind regards
Vic Ray

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 07:29:19 PM by sf bay rider »
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Are you going to call the vendor Monday?

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Are you going to call the vendor Monday?
His name isn't Monday. It's Vic Ray.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Does he sell headlights?

Offline sf bay rider

G-pink, indeed I have contacted the vendor. His reply was way short of what I expected.  If I was the vendor (Vic Ray). I would offer to have the part returned and re machine the two aluminum parts. To match a mounting at the point of manufacture.  That would be used to proof the parts prior to shipment. I am willing to even remove and send my two brackets for the rear foot  pegs. To make absolutely sure. The fitment is correct. 
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
From what you're saying they blew you off?

Offline sf bay rider

Indeed, it does appear that way.  I have written Vic Ray with my proposal to send my mounting hardware for the rear foot pegs and his parts, to be re machined.
I do know mistakes can and will happen. What set manufactures apart. Is the willingness to correct and engineer a solution to a mistake. So far, absolutely no response, from Vic Ray.   

(Update): I am to contact, Vic Ray tomorrow and discuss a possible solution with him.  I shall update the forum pro or con. More as things develop.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:09:27 PM by sf bay rider »
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
I would think that a wave washer, available at most any hardware store, would be the answer. Or give the female portion a slight squeeze to narrow the gap. I prefer to fix problems like that myself, less drama in my life that way.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Texas Concours14

I put these rear foot peg extensions on my 2014 C14 about 3 years ago so I have forgotten the details but I do recall that I had to drill out one of the peg mounting holes a bit. It was worth the effort since the extensions work well but a bit surprising that they did not fit right out of the box. I did not have the shim issues the OP describes; extensions fit snugly on my bike.
2010 C14 ABS

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
I'm kinda thinking this is splitting hairs, 1/16" gap on that assembly should be no big deal, it doesn't bind up at least... if the slop is a big downer, simply find a thin rubber o-ring of the correct diameter, and slip it in there.... pretty simple.  No?

As noted I'm sure the casting dimensions can vary a bit...

Or, as mentioned, super thin wave washers, which have been used as OEM parts on many bike pegs from the factory, work well...
They are cheap also...
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-washers/=wmzr5d

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
I looked them up and they are out of southwest va.....Wise...in the middle of nowhere.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
am I the only one who find sf bay rider's use of commas and punctuation a bit crazy?  :o
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Maybe the only one who cares....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
am I the only one who find sf bay rider's use of commas and punctuation a bit crazy?  :o

Yes... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sf bay rider

Update.  I have spoken Vic Ray.  A simple solution of using a few thin strips of bicycle inner-tube rubber, placed in the recessed space. Where the foot peg would normally be. In turn, the rubber will rest next to the new part. Filling the gap and providing vibration dampening in one step.  I will do the installation this afternoon, then update the forum.  Thank you all for your suggestions. It is very much appreciated.

The new rear peg extenders are in and look great.  I ended up using a small 7/64" inch diameter o-ring.  Again, thanks to the forum members.

As for writing and grammar. I have always been marginal at best. Oh well, drive on.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:49:48 PM by sf bay rider »
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL