Author Topic: Thieving mechanics  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Gitbox

Thieving mechanics
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:46:44 AM »

No, not MC mechanics, but I'm sure there are plenty of them also. This is a recent experience with my daughter's car.

She took it to a shop for a squealing noise coming from one of her wheels. A big chain repair shop gave her a $600+ estimate for front rotors, calipers, and pads. Another estimate from a different independent shop was $500+ for the same. She asked if I would take a look. All I found was the right REAR wear indicator rubbing on the rotor. The front brakes were in perfect shape. One of the rear pads wore down prematurely due to improper installation - the pad nubs were not in the caliper grooves so it was tilting the pad. I replaced the pads and rotors for her for less than $100.

Both shops said they thoroughly checked her entire brake system to determine the cause. Complete bull****!

THIS IS WHY I DO ALMOST ALL OF MY OWN MECHANICAL WORK, ESPECIALLY ON MY MOTORCYCLES. (sorry for yelling)

If you ever find an honest mechanic, cherish him (or her). Bake him some cookies and send him a Christmas card. If I ever do, I will.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Thieving mechanics
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 09:13:53 AM »
Unfortunately its the same with heating/air folks, plumbers, electricians, dentists, doctors, lawyers etc etc etc

Services sector of America is incredible these days.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »
THIS IS WHY I DO ALMOST ALL OF MY OWN MECHANICAL WORK, ESPECIALLY ON MY MOTORCYCLES. (sorry for yelling)

+1 They can even screw up something as simple as an oil change. Twice I have had quick oil change shops strip the drain bolt.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »
...and then the tire monkey puts the impact driver on the lug nuts to the aluminum wheels.  :banghead:

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 12:37:31 PM »
Way back when I had to take my company vehicle to Jiffy Lube for oil changes, I watched a guy ahead of me listen as the clerk rattled off the things they checked on his car. He stopped him when he heard "we checked your battery." He said "No, you didn't." The Jiffy Lube guy stuck to his story until the old VW bug owner mentioned that the battery was under the back seat and he never saw anyone remove it. There were a lot of people in the waiting room at the time that heard the whole exchange. I bet they lost some customers that day. :-)

2008 Yamaha FJR1300A

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 01:55:54 PM »
He checked the battery when he hit the key and it started.

;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 03:12:20 PM »
He checked the battery when he hit the key and it started.

;)

or hit his crack pipe
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
Way back when I had to take my company vehicle to Jiffy Lube for oil changes, I watched a guy ahead of me listen as the clerk rattled off the things they checked on his car. He stopped him when he heard "we checked your battery." He said "No, you didn't." The Jiffy Lube guy stuck to his story until the old VW bug owner mentioned that the battery was under the back seat and he never saw anyone remove it. There were a lot of people in the waiting room at the time that heard the whole exchange. I bet they lost some customers that day. :-)

Just as well. "28 point inspection" is just code for "what else can we find to sell this guy".

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 05:41:09 PM »
... If you ever find an honest mechanic, cherish him (or her). Bake him some cookies and send him a Christmas card. If I ever do, I will...

Absolutely does not matter if it be an Auto Mech, HVAC Tech, Plumber or even a Dog Sitter....

Just try finding somebody that you TRUST to sit your house and pets while your away can be a real pain..... After finding out how much we would have to pay to board our pets while we travel I contacted our previous sitter and offered to double her pay in order to get her back in the house.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 04:47:38 AM »
Absolutely does not matter if it be an Auto Mech, HVAC Tech, Plumber or even a Dog Sitter....

Just try finding somebody that you TRUST to sit your house and pets while your away can be a real pain..... After finding out how much we would have to pay to board our pets while we travel I contacted our previous sitter and offered to double her pay in order to get her back in the house.

Did she go for it?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 07:05:25 AM »
There is a segment (large segment) in the "repair" world that WILL take advantage of you given the chance.....especially to women......

I take my Jeep to the dealer , they do my oil changes and  fluid changes and checks......why...because I have been dealing with them for 14 years...I know the staff and the OWNER!   and they know me...by first name. I am ALWAYS greeted by everyone that knows me there.... And....I buy service packages that are cheaper than me doing it myself and having to climb under there to do a oil change..   They grease the fittings and change the oil and check everything.....they KNOW NOT to come tell me I need this or that unless I REALLY need it....and they know I will do it myself if its something I can do.   

I rotate my own tires....because...I have a friend with a place I can pull up and jack the jeep and pull the tires, rotate them, and TORQUE the lug nuts back on by hand! With a torque wrench  and I use a wheel guard to keep from scratching my custom wheels... Even the Jeep place won't do that....

My motorcycle "mechanic" is a small place that is operator owned and the mechanics are a husband /wife team and another mechanic (they do my tires and nothing else really)

My AC man is a long time friend and is married to my oldest dearest friend.

My plumber is me
My electrician is me
My "handy" person is me
My "mechanic" for the Jeep and Motorcycle is basically me too...for most any work...

It takes a long time to "trust" someone that isn't gonna rip you off....the problem is that the chain fixers "train" the people to do this and that and when they really don't give a flying F##K about your car/truck/bike that will dictate the kind of service you will get.   
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 07:41:45 AM »
Did she go for it?

Thankfully for our vacation to Sedona AZ this month yes she did so we are highly relieved; plus I've asked her if she will consider this a new permanent arrangement and she is contemplating it....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 08:54:01 AM »
I do all of my wrench work up until the point I run out of skill or the proper tools.
Then, depending on the type of help I need, I call one of two friends that have the right tools and talent.
Then I gratefully pay them for they're efforts.

My Dad's business had a relationship with an auto dealer for about 30yrs. My family must have purchased and serviced more that 50 vehicles there. They knew how to keep customers. Then they got bought out by a mega-car-dealer a number of years ago. You can guess what happened to my business dealings with the new owners.

Offline cmoore

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 05:35:52 AM »
+1 on doing your own wrench work. All general maintenance is just that general and easily learned. Learn to DIY to protect your wallet. I wish I knew something about heating and AC. Those guys are the biggest thieving sons of bitches around.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 05:43:21 AM »
I personally HATE thieving and INEPT mechanics. They make all mechanics "suspects" automatically. We're not all the same. Steve

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 05:58:23 AM »
I personally HATE thieving and INEPT mechanics. They make all mechanics "suspects" automatically. We're not all the same. Steve
So true, but you're all so damn far away.  ;)

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 07:22:30 AM »
We're not all the same. Steve

You're absolutely right on that. I owe you a Christmas card and some cookies.  ;D
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 04:06:02 PM »
So true, but you're all so damn far away.  ;)

I know, it takes me an hour and twenty minutes to get to his place, although sometimes I stop by in the worksux truck.

Some folks have built a vacation around visiting the Wesley Chapel Carburetion Spa and Skunkwerks.

I have a brother that flew down from MN to buy a used bike(1200 Wing, still performing nicely) from him on a fly and ride.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)