Author Topic: Fan Direction  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Dan in Grand Rapids

Fan Direction
« on: April 29, 2012, 06:50:11 PM »
Hello,
Earlier today I went to a blessing of the bikes event and my concours overheated. I noticed that the fan did not come on, so I took the plastic off  and checked to see if the fan would spin and it would. I then took off the wires to the thermo switch and connected them and the fan came on, so the thermo switch is shot. For the ride home I just twisted the wires together. My question is with the direction of the fan. When looking at the fan with the radiator as a backdrop it is spinning counterclockwise. Is this correct? It looks to me like it should be turning the other way. Thanks in advance.

Dan
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Fan Direction
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 08:15:43 PM »
I dunno about direction, it should pull the air through the radiator from front to back
BTW, NAPA part number FS130 is the switch you need. And they are a bit proud of it, somewhere north of $20, still about half of Ma Kaw's price. As a bonus, you will find that this switch will engage at a slightly lower point than stock, and run until a lower point. It works fine with the 195* thermostat that I use, and should work very well with the stock 180* 'stat.

BTW, if you are quick, no need to drain the coolant to instal the new switch. Just do it on a cold engine and do not loosen the radiator cap. You should lose almost no coolant.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 08:34:22 PM »
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense about the fan. I did not know that it was supposed to pull air through the radiator, so that is why I was confused by the way it was spinning. Thanks also for the Napa part number. Bike bandit had it listed at $58. For now it is on a toggle switch until I get around to changing to a new switch.
Dan
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 03:03:38 AM »
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense about the fan. I did not know that it was supposed to pull air through the radiator, so that is why I was confused by the way it was spinning. Thanks also for the Napa part number. Bike bandit had it listed at $58. For now it is on a toggle switch until I get around to changing to a new switch.
Dan
Yer welcome.

I see you have the KLR/Connie combo, also. I was BSing at the dealer a few weeks ago, it came up that I have a Connie and a KLR. He made the comment about owning cult bikes. Works for me.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:15:03 PM »
The KLR/Connie combo is a great one for me, and it is nice to see others have similar thinking. Yesterday at the blessing of the bikes event (with 2400 bikes) I had the only connie, and I only saw one KLR.
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »
If you're still looking, there's a list of 'known compatible' switches over here:

http://www.randols.net/Connie/#_Toc276312914
http://www.randols.net/Connie/concours_common_parts.htm

Even if it's on the list, take your old one in and compare.  I looked at a couple while in the shop, and one that wasn't listed looked like a better match. 
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html