Author Topic: Cartridge emulator options  (Read 1799 times)

Offline red2000

Cartridge emulator options
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »
I've just replaced my rear shock with a Progressive 420 (which I'm very please with) and have done the stock fork spring cut and spacer modification.  I now have a KB fork coming that I should have installed by the weekend.  So the next logical thing to do is install emulators in the forks.  As far as I can tell I there are only two options, RaceTech and Ricor.  The Ricor apears to have the advantage of not having to drill out the holes in the damper rod, you just have to use the lower viscosity fluid.  Prices I found are $170 for the RaceTech and $180 for the Ricor.  I'd say the advantage goes to Ricor because of the simpler installation.  So I'm looking for some input.  Are these products pretty much the same thing?  They look like it to me but I'd be glad to hear from people with some experience with either or both of them.

Thanks,
Todd

Offline red2000

Re: Cartridge emulator options
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:27:49 AM »
Oh yeah.  We're talking about a C10 here.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 09:50:19 AM »
I have Racetech emulators and I've read about the Ricor ones.

With Racetech, you can adjust rebound (with the oil viscosity) and compression (with the preload screw) damping independently.

Racetech emulators have been used in racing situations.

The Ricor ones govern both rebound and compression damping and I don't know if you can tweak them independently. Haven't seen any reported use in racing conditions.

I agree the Ricor installation is simpler.

The Racetech emulators increased both comfort and road holding in bumpy road conditions. Otherwise the damping rod velocity-squared compression damping is punishing.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »
I am faced with choosing between the two types also.
I know I can get a pair of  RaceTech Emulators for about $130 plus the fact that they are very configurable, repairable and drilling holes in the tubes is really not difficult , just time consuming.
 I am pretty sure I will be going for the Racetech Gold Emulators. You can change out its spring release valve to different pressures too.
Go look at Amazon or Powersportplus to buy them.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle