Author Topic: Storing windscreens?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Lodogg2221

Storing windscreens?
« on: July 16, 2011, 07:18:27 AM »
Hi guys.
Ive seen a number of threads about windscreens for Summer vs Winter and just wondered, how do you guys store them so they stay scratch free?

I know I can buy a storage bag for a windscreen, but they are pretty pricey, and there has to be an easier way, right?

Say what?

Offline beilts

Re: Storing windscreens?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 07:57:26 AM »
I just wrap mine up an old blanket and put it on the shelf.

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 10:00:32 AM »
I just wrap mine up an old blanket and put it on the shelf.

+1  ;)
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »
My "spare" is wrapped in bubble wrap and on a shelf in the garage, although I keep thinking "hooks on the wall or ceiling."
2014 C-14 Red

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 01:54:19 PM »
WOW I really must be lazy :-\ I just keep the summer shield on my 86 and the winter one on my 02.
Just kidding, coffee cup hooks and they just hang on the wall; we don't need no stink'n bubble wrap.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »
 ;)  Not my idea actually, but it's kind of an interesting part of the story of this bike. Long post off the subject, but it might be interesting.

The bubble wrap bit came from the PO who was self-declared "anal" about stuff. He wrapped the original 'shield up when he put the Rifle set up on. He also had the antler covers wrapped in the same stuff with the factory original labels (still on there in my storage tub). The air filter element installation was dated on a piece of tape attached to the spacer bar thing when it was installed in April 2004 when there were ~4,000 miles on the bike (I bought it last fall with 5,300- now has 9,874). I recently put a K&N in there. 

I didn't quite believe the miles but the bike was spotless and I took a chance.. A number of guys who've looked at it agree that the miles were real. No  paint overspray, no drop indications (please no..close calls twice now), etc. It was basically a museum piece that was ridden a little bit each month as he said. I DID have to run SeaFoam for a couple  of tanks and pull the petcock when I drained the tank. He stored it full of gas - always with Stabil. No rust when I drained it.  Maintenance has been valve adjust, carb sync, tires. Soon moving on to fluid flushes and brakes. So far, so good.

Interestingly, he had the cleanest shop I've ever seen. All the storage boxes were the same size and type, all the labels turned the same direction. The boxes made a perfect square of about 10 wide and 10 high on a wall.  He also had a "Wing", a Burgman, and a Sportster.  All spotless. The Sportster had 115,000 on  it and he said he just rebuilt its engine. At the time, I could not figure out why he didn't ride the Connie more (he lived in FL) until summer came. Then I realized why the bikes without windshields and fairings were his favorites. He moved from Virginia after visiting in the winter and didn't realize how  hot N.Fla can be. He was the second owner, I'm the third. The first one was in the Navy in Va Bch (Connie still has the base sticker up inside the faring on the fork cover - another story). I can only suspect he was deployed or at sea a lot. He kept the bike two years. The second bought it and retired and moved to FL and brought this bike with him with a small fleet of others. 

There was a aluminized sticker on the inside of the bottom fairing with his name and address  on it, on so on for theft identification I guess?. One of the tires was the OEM tire (yes, the new ones are Avons). The other was a "new" Dunlop but  both were cracked, hard, etc. and had to GO.  That sort of attention is why my 2000 looks like it came out of a museum. Not one scratch or mark anywhere on it anywhere that I can find. <shrug> Like Fox news, I report, you decide. :-)

Ron
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 03:23:55 PM »
I have akways put a fresh coat of wax, that I do not rub off, and store on a high shelf in my garage. When i am ready to put it on, I put fresh wax on, it softens the previous, and do the rubbing thing. It protects from scratches, and really cleans the shield well. The setting wax does a great job filling the extra fine dust scratches all shields get from the wind.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 04:25:12 PM »
A good cleaning with Pledge or Plexus, wrapped in a thin sheet of white foam, double garbage bag that is then hung in an out of the way spot on the garage wall.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 05:26:28 AM »
I slip mine in an old t-shirt and set it on the shelf.
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.