Author Topic: My daughter is going on her first "date" tonight!  (Read 5033 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
My daughter is going on her first "date" tonight!
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:17:43 PM »
Where has the time gone?!!!  My 13 year old daughter is going out on a date tonight and I need to have a chat with her guy friend.  He has been to our house to have dinner before and seemed like a great kid.  Any suggestions to what I can do to scare the living ba'jeezus out of him with out coming off as a bully?  I am thinking about sitting down with him while I clean all my weapons and tell him that I am a really nice guy until I have a reason to act otherwise.  No threats, just the facts.  Thoughts?
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: My daughter is going on her first "date" tonight!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »
Cleaning the gun while having the sit down talk with him should help Jeremy.

My girls are 16 & 17 now, I remember those first dates as well, nerve racking for me but all went well. I would never let them date anyone that reminded me of myself as a teen if you know what I mean...  ;)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 12:33:04 PM »
Cleaning the gun while having the sit down talk with him should help Jeremy.

My girls are 16 & 17 now, I remember those first dates as well, nerve racking for me but all went well. I would never let them date anyone that reminded me of myself as a teen if you know what I mean...  ;)

I definitely know whatcha mean.   ;D  Same here!

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 12:40:01 PM »
Tell how much you love your baby and will do anything to protect her, and no one better ever hurt her or make her cry or there is going to be hell to pay.  Ask him if he understands and if he plans on being the same as a father.  As a personal added touch, I'd make that the last thing I'd tell him with a steely-eyed look, and when he nodded yes he understood, I'd shake his hand and say "have my daughter home by XXXX hours" , and walk away.  It'll be the last thing he remembers as he walks away knowing..."i better not flock this up."
Will

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »
I agree with casually cleaning a weapon while you talk to him.  Only the last things I would whisper in his ear is "I have no problem with going back to jail to protect my family".
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline yoman

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 12:51:49 PM »
Tell how much you love your baby and will do anything to protect her, and no one better ever hurt her or make her cry or there is going to be hell to pay.  Ask him if he understands and if he plans on being the same as a father.  As a personal added touch, I'd make that the last thing I'd tell him with a steely-eyed look, and when he nodded yes he understood, I'd shake his hand and say "have my daughter home by XXXX hours" , and walk away.  It'll be the last thing he remembers as he walks away knowing..."i better not flock this up."

This is exactly what I plan to say in the next few weeks.

Jeremy, I am sure that you have raised HER well enough that there will be no problems.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 01:25:37 PM »
I agree with all the above posts
When my eldest daughters brought boys around when they were in high school I asked them If they wanted to see my gun collection (what lad wouldn't).  By the time we got through the rifles they had an idea of what I might be getting at.  By the time the handguns were gone through I'm sure it was quite evident.
If I figured that wasn't enough we would go for a drive and when I clipped a running coyote at 300 yds they knew I wasn't just a collector.
Be sure to meet them at the door when they get home the first couple of times to let them know that you are looking out for your daughter, after that all it takes is the lights left on.
I don't think I intimidated these boys.  I think I convinced them of what I thought was important...my daughters.
It's better to be proactive as there are no do-overs.

Good luck.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline Cavediver

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 01:38:54 PM »
I started out telling them thier job was to keep me out of jail. Because I'd kill anyone that hurt my Baby. That along with the gun cleaning should do the trick.

Jack

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 01:52:44 PM »
Two videos with differnt points of view, but both are after the same thing.

Stay Cool When Your Daughter Begins Dating

WARNING, NOT suitable language for work! (but oh so funny) If you're offended by hearing the f-bomb, do not watch this video below.

Bad Boys II - First Date Skit

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 02:13:31 PM »
I raised 3 daughters. The oldest made good choices while in H.S. It was after she moved out the quality of boy went south. Today she is back with her ex -husband. 
Second daughter was rebellious. I told her dates I expected him to treat my daughter just like he would want someone to treat his future wife. On top of this there were a couple of boys who concerned me a lot. With the future bride talk I included the fact if there was any sex, I would show them an end of their member they had not seen before. (Words were slightly modified) A couple never came back. She gave us a wonderful grandson who is about to turn eight.  I missed the father as she was over 18 and not at home much with her job.  I don’t think highly of this bone head.
Third one didn’t date much but in H.S but would talk too all hours of the morning on her cell. She seemed more attracted to boys from other schools. She became boy crazy in collage and has not lived at home for some time.   

All of the boys who came to my house was aware of what I did for a job (LEO) and knew I shoot competitively. I didn’t have to clean guns, just display the trophies and medals.  Small collection it is. :thumbs:
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 02:22:31 PM »
Two videos with differnt points of view, but both are after the same thing.

Stay Cool When Your Daughter Begins Dating

WARNING, NOT suitable language for work! (but oh so funny) If you're offended by hearing the f-bomb, do not watch this video below.

Bad Boys II - First Date Skit

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 02:31:17 PM »
I do have some SRT and shooting competition mementos I could show him.........

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 02:50:24 PM »
Jeremy aren't you military?
What my Dad used to do with my little sisters boyfriends was to have them stop by for a chat.
He would set in his chair in full uniform and just talk with them.
(Nancy later told me they referred to the chat as a meeting with "the General").....
(Dad was actually a Warrant Officer)
They generally got the point....

Of course it probably helped that her 2 big brothers would let the guy know that if anything made Nancy unhappy,,,, her brothers would be "there".....

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 07:28:11 AM by connie_rider »

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »
  Both my daughters were taught about about birth control pills. Family doctor was told they had our permission to get them. Also how to prevent getting STD.
   I told them when they left the house they could do anything they wanted to do!! I would not be responsible if they screwed up. And THEY would  pay for it!! NOT ME!!
   Some people thought I was nuts.  But the reality is when they leave the house THEY can do anything they want to do.Just make sure that they know they will pay the price,not you. It's called responsibility. 

By the way that was quite a few years and they did do it right. Some times you get lucky!

A little P.S.  Tell a kid they can't do something and they will prove you wrong!!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 04:16:37 PM by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »
Yes, I am military.  Been in the Army for 12 years. 

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 06:49:14 PM »
He was just here and picked my daughter up. He rang the door bell and I opened the door and he said "Good evening Mr. Mitchell." I told him to come in since my daughter was still getting ready. I asked him what the plan was (to make sure we were on the same page) movie starts at 7:45 and he said he would have my daughter home before 9:45. I told him as long as she comes home in the same condition as she leaves it will be a great night for everyone. He said "Yes sir, thank you!" I talked to his mom for a minute and they were off. He was so nervous and that makes me more comfortable. Now we will see if he walks her to the door when they get back.........

Offline booger

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 08:02:19 PM »
When the boyfriends are of driving age, I used to ask them for their license and make a copy of it.  Then I would ask for their home phone number and parents name

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 08:07:47 PM »
10 Rules For Dating My Daughter

Rule One:
If you pull into my driveway and honk you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure not picking anything up.

Rule Two:
You do not touch my daughter in front of me. You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter's body, I will remove them.

Rule Three:
I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips. Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are complete idiots. Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose his compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object. However, in order to ensure that your clothes do not, in fact, come off during the course of your date with my daughter, I will take my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely in place to your waist.

Rule Four:
I'm sure you've been told that in today's world, sex without utilising a "barrier method" of some kind can kill you. Let me elaborate, when it comes to sex, I am the barrier, and I will kill you.

Rule Five:
It is usually understood that in order for us to get to know each other, we should talk about sports, politics, and other issues of the day. Please do not do this. The only information I require from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word I need from you on this subject is "early."

Rule Six:
I have no doubt you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls. This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter. Otherwise, once you have gone out with my little girl, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make her cry, I will make you cry.

Rule Seven:
As you stand in my front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more than an hour goes by, do not sigh and fidget. If you want to be on time for the movie, you should not be dating. My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process that can take longer than painting the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead of just standing there, why don't you do something useful, like changing the oil in my car?

Rule Eight:
The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool. Places where there are no parents, policemen, or nuns within eyesight. Places where there is darkness. Places where there is dancing, holding hands, or happiness. Places where the ambient temperature is warm enough to induce my daughter to wear shorts, tank tops, midriff T-shirts, or anything other than overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka - zipped up to her throat. Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies which features chain saws are okay. Hockey games are okay. Old folks homes are better.

Rule Nine:
Do not lie to me. I may appear to be a pot-bellied, balding, middle-aged, dim-witted has-been. But on issues relating to my daughter, I am the all-knowing, merciless god of your universe. If I ask you where you are going and with whom, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the house. Do not trifle with me.

Rule Ten:
Be afraid. Be very afraid. It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a chopper coming in over a rice paddy near Hanoi. When my PTSD starts acting up, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean the guns as I wait for you to bring my daughter home. As soon as you pull into the driveway you should exit your car with both hands in plain sight. Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car - there is no need for you to come inside. The camouflaged face at the window is mine.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 09:36:34 PM »
He dropped her off..............early!  They walked up the front steps and I happened to see them and met them at the front door.  I asked if they had good a time, and told the guy friend thanks for bringing her home before the predetermined time.  He told my daughter goodbye and that he would see her Monday at school.  I said goodbye and waved to his Mom.  Once we were in the house I asked my daughter about the movie and she gave me a complete rundown of the plot.  I am confident that there was no funny business.  When I asked her if he had the courage to hold her hand, she said "no he was nervous and kept asking if I needed any refill on her popcorn and soda."  Sounds like a good kid.  Maybe I'll take him and my daughter shooting sometime......

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 09:41:39 PM »
He dropped her off..............early! They walked up the front steps and I happened to see them and met them at the front door.  I asked if they had good a time, and told the guy friend thanks for bringing her home before the predetermined time.  He told my daughter goodbye and that he would see her Monday at school.  I said goodbye and waved to his Mom.  Once we were in the house I asked my daughter about the movie and she gave me a complete rundown of the plot.  I am confident that there was no funny business.  When I asked her if he had the courage to hold her hand, she said "no he was nervous and kept asking if I needed any refill on her popcorn and soda."  Sounds like a good kid.  Maybe I'll take him and my daughter shooting sometime......

He saved you a lot of trouble 

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine