Author Topic: New 2015 'praying mantis' home. Have some questions and comments  (Read 36832 times)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: New 2015 'praying mantis' home. Have some questions and comments
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2015, 06:25:03 AM »
How is the fiberglass screen gonna protect your radiator from taking a hit?
Soft rocks?
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

sailor_chic

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2015, 07:09:34 AM »
Soft rocks?

These must be the "new" rocks that I have heard about.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2015, 08:06:38 AM »
Kinder, gentler rocks.  Rock on!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

elp_jc

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »
How is the fiberglass screen gonna protect your radiator from taking a hit?
It's pretty darn tough man. So far, in over 2 decades of protecting every car and bike, never a hole in it. Removing bug carcasses is a breeze with a tooth brush (and even easier with water, but I avoid spraying my bikes with water unless caught in rain and a mess). Besides, on the bike, you're very unlikely to get hit by a rock... although it's certainly possible. The main reason is to protect radiator from bugs (yes, those suckers definitely bend the fins), but also for the piece of mind of knowing with 99%+ probability I'm not going to get stranded by a pierced radiator. Keep in mind ANY radiator cover has bigger holes (and wider metal) than the small fiberglass screening, so chances of a small rock going cleanly thru them is larger than with my approach. But as long as you have something, it's better than nothing. And again, yet another case of to each his own ;D. Finally, with all the sports cars I've owned which gives you the precise coolant temperature (not buffered, like most cars and bikes), never ran any hotter, even in the intense TX summer heat. Attached are photos of what I had to do with my newest toy (now I have TWO 2015 GTRs 8)), since it's a royal PITA to remove the bumper to do it from behind the grille. I could remove the upper one, but not the lower one. Spent some time with the cutting, but ended up perfect. And nothing gets past the bumper. Just have to be careful with the safety wire on the lower one; that's why I like doing it from the inside, where running a toothbrush doesn't affect anything (I just have to do it carefully).

Offline Conrad

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2015, 06:11:29 AM »
It's pretty darn tough man. So far, in over 2 decades of protecting every car and bike, never a hole in it. Removing bug carcasses is a breeze with a tooth brush (and even easier with water, but I avoid spraying my bikes with water unless caught in rain and a mess). Besides, on the bike, you're very unlikely to get hit by a rock... although it's certainly possible. The main reason is to protect radiator from bugs (yes, those suckers definitely bend the fins), but also for the piece of mind of knowing with 99%+ probability I'm not going to get stranded by a pierced radiator. Keep in mind ANY radiator cover has bigger holes (and wider metal) than the small fiberglass screening, so chances of a small rock going cleanly thru them is larger than with my approach. But as long as you have something, it's better than nothing. And again, yet another case of to each his own ;D. Finally, with all the sports cars I've owned which gives you the precise coolant temperature (not buffered, like most cars and bikes), never ran any hotter, even in the intense TX summer heat. Attached are photos of what I had to do with my newest toy (now I have TWO 2015 GTRs 8)), since it's a royal PITA to remove the bumper to do it from behind the grille. I could remove the upper one, but not the lower one. Spent some time with the cutting, but ended up perfect. And nothing gets past the bumper. Just have to be careful with the safety wire on the lower one; that's why I like doing it from the inside, where running a toothbrush doesn't affect anything (I just have to do it carefully).

I hate to burst your bubble but I can say with 99%+ probability that if your radiator takes a hit from a rock that's large enough to cause a hole that your fiberglass screen isn't going to stop it and there's a 85.76% probability that you will be stranded. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

sailor_chic

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2015, 06:24:55 AM »
Why risk it? Here is an example of a small $55 purchase that could greatly reduce your percentage of damage possibilities.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-ZX14-06-14-C14-Concours-GTR-07-14-Radiator-guard-/121571838266?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c4e3f093a&vxp=mtr

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2015, 06:25:44 AM »

I heard what you said and understand the logic behind your thought process, however, wouldn't it be better to have BOTH the metal AND the fiberglass ?    Just curious.  ::)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2015, 06:31:17 AM »

I heard what you said and understand the logic behind your thought process, however, wouldn't it be better to have BOTH the metal AND the fiberglass ?    Just curious.  ::)

Might that not be a bit flow restrictive?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2015, 06:33:36 AM »
>93,000 miles, many off them long LONG gravel roads at speed, and I've never bought any type of radiator protector products.  No issues to report  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2015, 07:02:49 AM »
>93,000 miles, many off them long LONG gravel roads at speed, and I've never bought any type of radiator protector products.  No issues to report  ;D

That's because you're always in the lead ;).

Seriously some bikes are more vulnerable to radiator hits than others. I think the Concours 14 is relatively well protected but I do have a home made metal screen on mine.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

elp_jc

« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2015, 01:41:56 PM »
I hate to burst your bubble but I can say with 99%+ probability that if your radiator takes a hit from a rock that's large enough to cause a hole that your fiberglass screen isn't going to stop it
Aside from your sarcasm on your last statement, make it 100% in the one above. But that also goes for whatever grille you have. And if a rock is large enough, it'd wipe you and your bike out as well ;). We're talking REASONABLE protection. So far haven't had a problem in over 2 decades, but it can obviously happen. Having said the above, I also NEVER follow people too close, especially on gravelly roads; some common sense goes a long way to avoid such potential issues. You never know when an idiot wants to pass you on such roads, peltering your car/bike with stones; that's why I always prefer to ride all the way back. Oh, and you don't want a grille AND fiberglass screening; too much restriction. And yes, any aftermarket grille will be more flow-restricting than fiberglass screening. And it doesn't prevent bugs from going into your radiator... and you can't brush them off either. I like when bikes have large, plastic grilles, because I simply attach the screening to it. But the Kawi doesn't have any. So ordered a frame only (no logo, black powdercoated, no laser holes, no grille) from ProjektD, but will have to make in China until their next batch, arriving middle of March. I ordered their $10 fender extender, since it's smooth like the Pyramid FendaExtenda, but also smooth ABS. I didn't like the crinkly finish of the longer MotorcycleLarry.com one, so that's the best option. With the tire being so close to the chin spoiler, I don't think pebbles from the front tire would hit anywhere above the spoiler. On my 2015, the tire only clears the spoiler by an index finger. But it will surely help if I catch rain. However, I see myself having to 'plasti-dip' the painted area behind the front wheel eventually; no fender extender can save it from that. Have a good one folks.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2015, 04:26:43 PM »
elp_jc,
Do you recall if there was ever any specific numbers given for the new gear ratio for 1st in any of the literature you got with your new bike?
Thanks.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2015, 06:51:07 PM »
....any specific numbers given for the new gear ratio for 1st ......?

Quote from: 2015 C14 Owner's Manual
Primary Reduction Ratio 1.556 (84/54)
Final Reduction Ratio 2.036 (14/22 × 32/10)
Overall Drive Ratio
3.402 (Top gear)
Gear Ratio:
 1st 3.538 (46/13)
2nd 2.412 (41/17)
3rd 1.900 (38/20)
4th 1.545 (34/22)
5th 1.292 (31/24)
6th 1.074 (29/27)

Quote from: 2014 C14 Owner's Manual
Primary Reduction Ratio 1.556 (84/54)
Final Reduction Ratio 2.036 (14/22 × 32/10)
Overall Drive Ratio 3.402 @Top gear
Gear Ratio:
1st 3.333 (50/15)
2nd 2.412 (41/17)
3rd 1.900 (38/20)
4th 1.545 (34/22)
5th 1.292 (31/24)
6th 1.074 (29/27)

elp_jc

« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2015, 12:19:50 PM »
Do you recall if there was ever any specific numbers given for the new gear ratio for 1st in any of the literature you got with your new bike?
Nothing Pilgrim, and I read the entire manual. And service manual is not out yet, as far as I know. Where did you get the info Fartymarty? I bet from the press introduction, right? The only thing I can tell you is the difference is minimal. Didn't feel any from a 2014 bike to mine. Remember reading it was done for fully-loaded bikes (2-up with luggage). I just got a 2015 because the 2 'new' 2014 bikes I attempted to buy supposedly from the crate, both had been serviced long ago, and had test-ride miles on them, along with scratches/scuffs everywhere. The changes were very few, and most can be upgraded easily. What makes the 2015 more attractive is its reduction in price, rather than a typical increase. The bad news is it's only available in black and green. Got the green to please the wife (anything but black... for my safety), but it sure as hell wasn't at the top of my list ;D.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2015, 12:46:04 PM »
 :popcorn: Gotta love it when a thread goes south....

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2015, 01:16:16 PM »
:popcorn: Gotta love it when a thread goes south....
   :rotflmao:

Nothing Pilgrim, and I read the entire manual.  Where did you get the info Fartymarty? I bet from the press introduction, right?
  'jc, reread manual, and/or notice what references I quoted in my previous post.  ;D

elp_jc

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2015, 12:35:05 PM »
Thanks buddy. You need both manuals to catch the difference ;).  Well, fighting for my life with an acute pneumonia and the rare hairy-cell leukemia diagnosis (cause unknown) after being healthy as a horse all of my 53 years. But can't wait to get out of the freaking hospital, get on with chemo, and ride again. Hope ALL of you are having a better weekend than me. Ha ha. Have a good one.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2015, 12:53:32 PM »
Well, fighting for my life with an acute pneumonia and the rare hairy-cell leukemia diagnosis (cause unknown) after being healthy as a horse all of my 53 years. But can't wait to get out of the freaking hospital, get on with chemo, and ride again.

Sorry to hear you are having a heath battle :(   Get well soon so you can enjoy your new Concours.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2015, 01:03:27 PM »
Get well soon. The road awaits......
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2015, 07:47:25 PM »
JC,, I just saw this.  arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

REALLY sorry to hear your ill!
I thought you weren't posting, because you were on he road to Big Bend.

Keep us posted on, how your doing!!

Ride safe, Ted