Author Topic: Harley Mufflers on my '05 C10  (Read 13375 times)

Offline dhidaka

Harley Mufflers on my '05 C10
« on: June 14, 2014, 04:18:55 PM »
I wanted a little more personality when riding my C10 so I added a set of Harley mufflers. An easy installation with a few mods. My particular mufflers are off of a FXD1450 Dyna Superglide. Other mufflers might also easily fit. Mufflers are straight through glas-pac design and gave my C10 much more "exhaust tone personality." Not too loud, just mellow going down the road. I think it looks good and sounds good to boot. No carb adjustment required. Performance or gas mileage improvement? I don't know. Total cost less than $30.

Mufflers are almost free on Craigslist, as the first mod that Harley owners do is to take off  the exhaust for something that looks cool and makes a lot of noise. Harley dealers probably have a pile of new take-off mufflers in back of the shop that they would almost give away.

(You might not notice it from the pictures but I lowered my C10 1 1/2 inch by extending my factory dog bones 1/2")

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Harley Mufflers on my '05 C10
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 04:41:30 PM »
Those actually look real good. Nice job.

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 05:08:37 AM »

Kudos to you! Yes, they look pretty good!
   Any chance of what they look like w/ the stock bags on the bike?  How 'bout a sound bite too?
AND.....
wait for it....
do you find yourself stopping at the bar more frequently?   ;D   sorry, just had to ask....
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline dhidaka

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:19:58 AM »
Kudos to you! Yes, they look pretty good!
   Any chance of what they look like w/ the stock bags on the bike?  How 'bout a sound bite too?

do you find yourself stopping at the bar more frequently?   ;D   sorry, just had to ask....

Thank you for Kudos

I don't drink . . . anymore.

Sorry. My stock bags are in my attic as I don't use them but once or twice a year. I use soft bags around town.
Sound bite? Cannot do.

Harley mufflers give my C10 a nice "rumble" at idle and "roar" under acceleration. Barely noticeable cruising down the highway. Remember, Harley mufflers must past EPA noise restrictions, but they are definitely not as quiet as stock C10 mufflers. Up close it looks like a clean factory installation. Less weight than factory too.

I can explain the procedure I used with my particular mufflers, but with different models I don't know. I think most all mufflers have the same inlet size and you will have to work around that. Harleys are slightly larger. Fabricating a hanger bracket will be different with different models too. Close fit on the drive shaft side.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 10:37:20 AM »
Nicely done!

I must admit the thought came to mind when I had my C10...they are dirt cheap...and, the stock mufflers are so...stock... ::)

Good job!
'02 C-10

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 11:16:09 PM »
Good grief!! >:(

Of all the stupid ideas Ive ever heard of.. :nuts:

I mean really.....but... well....hey....that um, looks pretty good actually.....

Yeah - heck, that almost looks better than original....

Dang....I like it!  :yikes:
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »

I mean really.....but... well....hey....that um, looks pretty good actually.....

Those were my thought also.
I showed those pics to my boss and he offered the set he took off his ride for free.
I'll try anything for free.

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 10:34:07 PM »
Do you have to constantly blip the throttle at stops now?

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 05:53:38 AM »
Do you have to constantly blip the throttle at stops now?

YEs - and there's velcro on the bars to prevent waving....
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline dhidaka

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 07:05:42 PM »

Yeah. I am Japanese. Installing HD mufflers on my C10 makes me feel like committed the ultimate by betraying the Motherland. The guilt of selling out is overwhelming. I hope I should not have to save face by committing Hari-Kari. It would be hard to enjoy riding and being dead!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 12:41:20 PM »
..... The guilt of selling out is overwhelming. I hope I should not have to save face by committing Hari-Kari. It would be hard to enjoy riding and being dead!

we wouldn't be that drastic, but you may have to wear "14 ribbons of shame"... 8) ;D ;)

just joking.... those pipes look extremely good to me, I think you stumbled upon a winner!!!

Now we'll see how fast they all dissapear from e-bay... :rotflmao:
I'm looking right now to make sure I don't get left behind...

thank you for sharing!!

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 06:33:15 PM »
I wanted a little more personality when riding my C10 so I added a set of Harley mufflers. An easy installation with a few mods. My particular mufflers are off of a FXD1450 Dyna Superglide. Other mufflers might also easily fit. Mufflers are straight through glas-pac design and gave my C10 much more "exhaust tone personality." Not too loud, just mellow going down the road. I think it looks good and sounds good to boot. No carb adjustment required. Performance or gas mileage improvement? I don't know. Total cost less than $30.

Mufflers are almost free on Craigslist, as the first mod that Harley owners do is to take off  the exhaust for something that looks cool and makes a lot of noise. Harley dealers probably have a pile of new take-off mufflers in back of the shop that they would almost give away.

(You might not notice it from the pictures but I lowered my C10 1 1/2 inch by extending my factory dog bones 1/2")

Please post pictures of your extended dog bone project. Also tell us how you did it.

"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline jim-d

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 01:14:41 PM »
They look great & you are right about the cost.  I see like new sets on eBay for $45.
Did they fit right over the Kawa exhaust?  Looks like they are straight back, no kink up like the stock exhaust.

Great idea?

Offline dhidaka

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 01:15:33 PM »
They look great & you are right about the cost.  I see like new sets on eBay for $45.
Did they fit right over the Kawa exhaust?  Looks like they are straight back, no kink up like the stock exhaust.

Great idea?

Save yourself some shipping. Take a look on Craigslist first.

My Harley muffler inlets were larger in size (1.750"OD) vs C10 exhaust pipe 1.720"ID??). If memory serves me correctly, HD was about .030" larger. I hand expanded the HD inlet to be about .060" larger than the C10. I then used some exhaust gasket material (ordered from O'Reilly's), cut into a short strip (approximately 1 1/4 x 5 1/2") and carefully placed it inside the muffler. It was a very snug fit to start, but I then tapped the muffler onto the pipe to gain a 1 1/4- 1 1/2" overlap. This process of deciding what to do and getting the initial fit was the toughest part of the whole job. Once the muffler is on, you can wiggle it around on the pipe to "unsnug" the connection.

On final install, after I figured out how I was going to "hang" the muffler, I smeared a little exhaust gasket sealer to tightly seal the fitted area. I bought a pair of stainless steel t-bolt exhaust clamps on eBay for $6.00 to secure the connection. You might be able to find some t-bolt clamps locally, but make sure you can find the widest possible and will have a tightening range to clamp over a 1 3/4- 2" pipe. Of course, how to hang the muffler depends on the model of muffler you choose. I do have some exhaust gasket material left over. PM me and I will send you enough to do your installation. Or, you can look up on O'Reilly's website and get your own supply. There are two thicknesses. Get a sheet of the thinnest material available. I can get their part number if you like. 

Offline dansidecar

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 01:21:15 AM »
Scanning the forum and finding what will be my next farkle i came upon your post. I decided to go your route and won the bid ebay for harley 1340 dyna exactly like your set up $50 out the door  bought t clamps 2 for $6. Doing the exhaust gasket minus the sealer. Excited to hear the tone output. Ehh i did the punch the hole thing on stock but i need  more tone out. Thanks

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 03:28:50 PM »
This might be a good time to ask if anybody has a set of Connie mufflers laying around for a frugal price. ;)

Send a PM, please.

TIA.

Later.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline dhidaka

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 06:51:53 PM »
I decided to go your route and won the bid ebay for harley 1340 dyna exactly like your set up $50 out the door  bought t clamps 2 for $6. 

Dansidecar,
When you get your Dyna mufflers you will notice that they are held on by 1/4" bolts. Plus, the holes bottom out and are only about 3/8" deep. Use one of the holes to mount some sort of hanging strap to your foot peg. But, here is the problem. That 1/4 " size bolt is not enough to hold the muffler securely in place. You don't want it to fall off while riding down the road. So, I drilled one of the holes to fit an 8mm bolt (or you can use 5/16" grade 5 NC thread bolt). Drill out the 1/4" hole all the way through the muffler so you can run a tap to use a longer bolt. This will in no way affect the muffler. I started to make a complicated bracket, but this turned out to be simplest way to make the installation. Works fine. Hope this helps. I know you will love the sound.
David
Wichita, KS

Offline dhidaka

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 07:07:45 PM »
Drill out the 1/4" hole all the way through the muffler so you can run a tap to use a longer bolt. This will in no way affect the muffler.

Sorry, I hope you understand not to drill "all the way through the muffler." Bad wording. Just drill out the 1/4" bolt hole in the thick mounting bracket so that it penetrates through the outer shell if the muffler too. This will give you enough perch so that the larger threads will hold. A small part of the end of the bolt will end up poking through to the interior of the muffler. Works fine.

PS: I used a carpenter's T-square measured off of my luggage bracket to make sure the tips of the mufflers were of equal distance off the ground when I constructed my hanging brackets..

Offline dansidecar

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 02:24:47 PM »
Thanks for info did you make threads in the thick mounting bracket for the extra mount or use a simple bolt and nut setup

Offline dansidecar

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 02:29:46 PM »
Can you show pics on backside of your setup thanks