Author Topic: PET PEEVE  (Read 1464 times)

gpineau

PET PEEVE
« on: September 13, 2021, 07:13:09 AM »
You probably already know this but nearly 10% of all ads on Facebook Marketplace are total scams.
I did an audit for the last 3 days and uncovered multitudes of scams.

First clue.. The price is about 5 to 10% of fair market value.

Second clue.. follow the ad to the posters profile. You will find the same item listed many times in different cites all over America.  In this post is a Truck for sale for $800. A ridiculously low price.

In the photo I attached you can see the same truck for sale in 72 different cities thousands of mile apart. OBVIOUS SCAM.
Help Me stamp out fraud.  Report the ad AND the seller to Facebook as a SCAM. Facebook will take the ad down in about 12 hours, sometimes immediately.
SHARE THIS ! Facebook wont police their market place lets do it for them.  I feel better now.

Offline dboogie2288

• Beginnerbikers.org
Re: PET PEEVE
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 06:43:31 PM »
this should go in open forum\

Offline Bagger John

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 08:26:56 AM »
And Facebook should go in /dev/null.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 07:06:42 PM »
I moved it from the C10 but sent it to the wrong place, and now can't move it from here because I'm not a moderator on this group. Oops!
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 03:58:12 PM »
And Facebook should go in /dev/null.

+1

I have never even obtained a login on it.  Nor Twitter.  Nor Instagram.  When BBSes died, hello USENET.  When it [essentially] died, it was straight to forums.  As for buying stuff online, it is either Amazon or direct to vendor.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 03:27:30 PM »
That didn't take long. I think Holley recently posted pictures of that truck on their FB page.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 05:19:04 PM »
That didn't take long. I think Holley recently posted pictures of that truck on their FB page.

I am confused.  What didn't take long?  Who is Holley?  And who are "they"?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 05:55:53 PM »

The vehicle pictures have to come from somewhere. Holley is an automotive parts place. Scammers (they) will pull them from various places.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline cra-z1000

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 07:02:26 PM »
Some damn good deals to be found on Facebook marketplace though . You just need to be savy about it . The op has the right idea by examining the posters profile , etc . Very similar to the practice of checking reviews for....just about everything everywhere these days . It's actually pretty easy to tell a fake if using the tools readily available right at your fingertips . I find it amazing that so many folks are so easily scammed or conned these days . It's a playground for scammers .

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 01:50:32 AM »
Not just Facebook Marketplace but also eBay, Amazon, and just about any other "marketplace" in the world has it's share of scammers. Even the reviews are often part of the scam. Amazon will refund you if you get scammed as will Paypal and most Credit cards, but the onus is on YOU to prove it was a scam.

I see the large numbers of scammers as proof that the human gene pool needs more chlorine. Either that or else our educations systems are not fit for purpose due to not educating the masses about scams and scammers, and due to not teaching ethics to prevent people from becoming scammers/thieves.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 06:01:11 AM »

Back in the day, 70's, Holley was renowned for their carbs.  It was a performance company.  Having a Holley carb was the cat's pajamas.

www.holley.com
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 12:38:13 PM »
still pretty relevant in certain circles.

my 66 Galaxie sports one.  :D

And, like most things, the scams are pretty easy to spot on platforms. always look 2x. If its too good to be true, it most certainly is. Just like ebay, cl, old newspaper ads, etc.

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 04:49:37 PM »
Holley is still very relevant. Thinking about putting one of their 1 barrel EFI systems on my '84 Goldwing project.

Scammers are everywhere. My folks are looking for a place and people even set up bogus rental homes.

Karma needs to kick some of these people in the teeth.