Author Topic: starting problems.  (Read 3558 times)

Offline MiloMorai

starting problems.
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:49:49 AM »
for the past couple of days I've been having  a problem with starting my bike after it sits for awhile.  when i turn the key on and hit the start button it tries but doesn't catch.  I try until the battery get low then turn off the key and what bit.  Then turn the key on and try again it starts right up.  Sparkplug? gas feed?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

me

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: starting problems.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:06:58 AM »
What "doesnt catch"
Is the starter just spinning and the motor isnt turning over?
Is it turning over but not starting? You could have a vac leak going to your petcock and its not opening up right away.  Try turning the petcock to prime for a couple of seconds then thumb the starter.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline MiloMorai

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 01:08:39 PM »
motor isn't turning over.  It's like it's not getting gas.  I turned the petcock to prime this morning and wait a bit for the battery to gain charge and the it started right up.   Thanks for the reply

Offline julianop

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 04:05:22 PM »
Milo...

Don't continue to crank the starter motor until the battery is low! If the engine doesn't start after a couple of seconds, find the problem, or you will have two problems: your original problem AND a dead starter motor!

Next time you get the problem:

1: Stop cranking immediately
2: Turn the petcock to "prime"
3: Wait 5 seconds
4: Try to start the engine

If it starts immediately, there is a problem with either the vacuum shutoff valve in the petcock, or in the vacuum pipe that connects to it.

If the engine still does not start, there is another problem.

Tell us what happens, and we can make more suggestions.

Lastly:
Do NOT Forget to turn the valve back to "On". Don't leave it in the "Prime" position.

Explanation (in case you don't know this; forgive me if you do):
There is a gasoline valve which is part of the petcock inside the fuel tank. That valve is operated by a vacuum (technically,  only a low pressure - a mild suction) created by one of the carburetors. The purpose is to shut off the flow of gasoline when the engine stops. It takes only a second of cranking for the vacuum to develop and operate the valve to let gasoline through.

If the vacuum valve sticks closed, or if there is no vacuum fed to the valve (a leak/break in the pipe, or a disconnected pipe), then the valve won't open.

The "prime" position allows fuel to flow without operating the vacuum valve.

Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 05:47:34 PM »
My only problems with starting were related to high voltage ignition wiring. Between plug cap pairs (1 - 4, 2 - 3), you should read about 22 Kohms (2 x 5K resistors, 12K secondary resistance). If the resistance is infinite, there's definitely something wrong. Most likely wiring corrosion, less likely ignition coil.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline MiloMorai

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 08:09:32 AM »
yesterday I i primed it then tried starting and it worked.  today not even that is working.  and battery seems kinda low.  Also front brake lever is set at 4 and feels like 1.  it eventually get firmer.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 08:37:39 AM »
motor isn't turning over.  It's like it's not getting gas.  I turned the petcock to prime this morning and wait a bit for the battery to gain charge and the it started right up.   Thanks for the reply

What's the age of the battery?
Have you checked the water level in the battery?
Have you checked to make sure that the battery connections are clean, brite and tight?
Have you tried charging the battery to see how it stats afterwards?

From the general sounds of it you've got a weak battery.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 08:39:33 AM »
yesterday I i primed it then tried starting and it worked.  today not even that is working.   and battery seems kinda low.  Also front brake lever is set at 4 and feels like 1.  it eventually get firmer.

Again battery sounds weak/bad...

You've got air in the brake system and it needs to be flushed/bleed out...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline MiloMorai

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 10:03:09 AM »
I've had the battery on the charger since I last wrote.  Working on bleeding the brake line now.  Thanks

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 01:03:05 PM »
I've had the battery on the charger since I last wrote.  Working on bleeding the brake line now.  Thanks

I have to ask this...did you remove the battery and clean the connections before you charged the battery, and are you charging it on the bench, or are you simply assuming the connections are good, and clamping the charger clips onto a questionable connection while the battery is installed?

if you attempt to charge a battery with questionable terminals while in the bike, it may charge, but during the process you create further resistive coating in the actual connector interface. Remove-Clean-charge-reinstall/reconnect.

also, as Tony suggested, did you check the electrolyte level before doing a charge?

it is all to typical to skip these important steps, and doing so doesn't promote a good analysis.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MiloMorai

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 05:51:49 AM »
charged it on the bench(actually friend's bench :))Just wouldn't take the charge.  Tested again at the store.finally bought a new battery.  Thanks for the replies guys

Offline JDM

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 08:00:31 AM »
charged it on the bench(actually friend's bench :))Just wouldn't take the charge.  Tested again at the store.finally bought a new battery.  Thanks for the replies guys

I bet that fixed your problem.
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.