Author Topic: First Ford Pictures  (Read 9915 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
First Ford Pictures
« on: January 13, 2012, 05:20:12 AM »
This thread will be about your first Ford.  Please post them here with some commentary.  I've got to step out for a bit and then hopefully find a picture of mine.

It was a 63 Ford Fairlane with fins.  It had a 64 Fairlane grill so it must have been late in it's model year and they ran out of the 63 grills.  It had a 170cid engine with a 2 speed automatic.  I paid $300 for it, put a 100k miles on it, and sold it for $150.  Very easy to work on.  It had a road draft tube that sucked vapors out of the engine and into the atmosphere.  It had a generator and not an alternator.  It also had a manual choke that worked extremely well.

[smg id=197]  [smg id=198]

The 68 Mustang was my future wife's first car.   We kept it until we had our second child.  Ran out of room in it.  It was a good car and got 20+ miles per gallon (289 auto).  I hated selling it but we needed something bigger.  I really wish I had it now.  I can still see it today from US58 in VA...nose thrust up in the air at an old farmhouse between LaCrosse and Lawrenceville.  It hurts to see it that way.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:15:59 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
Re: First Ford Pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 05:34:06 AM »
My first Ford :-)  2004 F-250 Super duty.  She's a Lariat edition, 6.0 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, with close to 600 pounds of torque.  I'm getting her ready for some "super duty" towing, as I'm planning on buying a mobile home toy hauler in the very near future.  With the help of my bud who is tons smarter on this stuff than me, we're going to break the engine down and do lots of bullet-proofing that hopefully will take her well past the 150,000 miles she has on the ODO now.

Will

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:12:08 AM »
Grew up in a Chrysler family, so my first Ford was fairly recent. 2004 F150 Super Crew with the 5.4 V8. We bought it as a tow vehicle for our camper. The camper has been sold, and the truck followed shortly after. We still camp, but now we have a class "C" motorhome and a trailer to take the bikes along with us. This was more economical for us than getting a toy hauler and a new truck to pull it. I still have a truck, but it's a Ranger I paid cash for which handles most of my truck needs.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:57:20 AM »
This was my first Ford, even though I have been a fan since I leared to drive on a 1980 Ford F250 up in the snow. My family still owns that truck. Since this car I have owned two more fords, a 2003 Expedition and my current 2007 Mustang.

Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:40:59 AM »
My first, and only, Ford was a Mercury. Not that I have/had anything against Fords.

It was a 1979 Mercury Capri RS Turbo 4-speed. It was my first brand new car and my first manual. I bought it while I was putting myself through college (with the help of the GI Bill). I loved that car! It wasn't all that fast (but when the turbo spooled up it sure sounded like it) but by the time I got done tweaking the suspension, it handled like it was on rails. I never had any problems with it except when the turbo bearing went out. Man did that thing smoke! It looked like one of those mosquito foggers going done the road. I replaced the turbo and all was well again, till some dipsh1t took a left in front of me and totaled her in 1992 with almost 200k on the clock. She was garage kept nearly her entire life and didn't have a spot of rust on her.   :'(

I have some pics somewhere, the pic below is what she looked like, except I had a spoiler, different wheels, and it was lowered . The wheels were called TRX and only ONE tire was made to fit them, Michelin TRX tires. They were low profile and had a special bead or something. Great tires but pricey. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_TRX

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:47:42 AM »
Good ol' fox body. I worked in a grocery store for years and my PIC (person in charge) had a 1985 or '86 Mustang GT. (Can't recall if it was FI or Carb) I used to detail it for him and he would let me borrow it for the day. That car is what made me really fall in love with the Mustang. I'm sure I will always have one in the garage until I die.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »
I've never owned a Ford but my Dad started with a 1964 Mk1 Cortina, then a 1968 Mk2, then a 1969 Corsair 2000E.

Mk1 Cortina

Mk2 Cortina

and finally the Corsair (large image, hence the link)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Ford_Corsair_2000E_1996cc_Jan_1969.JPG

Just thought y'all may be interested in some non-US Fords.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 11:00:36 AM »
1962 Galaxy 2 Door Sedan. Big 6 with a two speed automatic that would do 60 in low given enough time and road.

Red with grey cloth seats. I painted the dash and all the interior metal pieces in flat black then did a gold tape pin stripe with a Play Boy Bunny sticker in the middle of the dash. Wasn't a fan of 8 tracks so had one of the first cassette decks available along with a reverb box that I wired in direct and killed the battery.

Never had to use the back seat as the front would push so far back that even at six foot tall and long arms I couldn't reach the controls easily.

Did an engine overhall in the back alley by packing in snow then scooping out between the tires and laying in blankets and using a trouble light for heat. Head had cracks and what I thought was a rod knock turned out to be loose wrist pins.....see 60 in low above.....

When our family moved I drove it 500 miles to the middle of no where and continued to make use of that front seat....amazing how atractive a big city boy looks to the girls who live in the middle of no where.

Did one of those 60 in low tricks on the highway coming back into town one night and things started to knocking and the oil pressure light came on. Crap

Pulled it all apart and found some broken piston rings, those knocking wrist pins and a rounded shaft that goes from the bottom of the distributor to the oil pump.

Old mechanic showed me how to fix it by cutting the piston ring lands double wide on his lathe and putting in two rings. Then he got out the babbit pot and  coated the wrist pins before driving them back into the pistons. He did a quick weld job on the shaft by welding it into the distrubutor and we buttoned it all back together and I ran it for another year and many miles.

Sold it and bought a 1969 Toyota Corolla 1100......had to get a room after that.....

Got to have a pic somewhere....but thanks for the memory jog

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 11:54:24 PM »
I don't have any digital pictures of it, because that hadn't been invented when I had it, but my first Ford was a 1974 T-Bird, 460, 4-bbl, bought it used in 1982 with 97,000 miles on it, drove it until 188,000, traded it in on a 1984 T-bird.   White with white vinyl top, red leather interior.  My friends called it the Pimp-Mobile.  I put steer horns on it as a joke and nearly got fired from the real estate office because they thought I was an A-hole.  It got 8 MPG, every 200 miles I put in 25 gallons of regular and a quart of oil.   What a barge!
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 12:25:14 PM »
Don't laugh!!!!!! ::)

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 01:22:54 PM »
Is that you in the passenger seat?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 03:26:55 PM »
My first ford, and my last.  Never again. Although I gotta admit, she's a lot of fun when everything's working.  There's only about 5 ford parts left on her, and 3 of them are broken, 1 being the crank  >:(

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:35:03 AM by Uglydog56 »
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 06:37:33 PM »
Don't laugh!!!!!! ::)

Sure hope not!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 10:50:39 PM »
Friends don't let friends drive Fords.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 06:44:58 AM »
Found On Road Dead (got that one from a VA State Trooper)
Fixed Or Repaired Daily
First On Race Day
F***** Over Rebuilt Dodge

These days I wouldn't touch a Chrysler product with a 10 foot pole.  The only GM product I could bear to buy is the Camaro (would do it in a heart beat), and Ford would be the only American company I would consider these days.  I like the way they are managing themselves and their products are continually improving. 

If I had to buy an American made care it would be Ford.  Unfortunately for them, I like Toyotas, Hondas, and Kwaks, not necessarily in that order.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:10:27 PM by VirginiaJim »

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 09:45:01 AM »
I've had 40-50 cars through the years and no reported Fords. I've had a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis that was close enough. It was a good car, but kinda boring.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 10:38:44 AM »
GM "government motors" is an abomination to the automotive industry......they suck!!!!!! :doublepuke: As for Fords, they are the only American car company I more than likely would ever own, and currently I have 2 in the driveway that have been nothing but 100% reliable.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 01:21:44 PM »
This is my first truck.  And first Ford.  I was supposed to get a 2004 4.0 Ranger from my grandpa, but my dad bought it and I was handed down a 1993 F-150 XLT from a great-uncle that had just died right after my 16th birthday (I've slept in the back of that truck when we would go camping on a number of occasions, unaware that it would be mine in a few years).  It's got the bulletproof 302 motor, 4 speed E04D automatic tranny and it's all electric stuff (windows, locks, mirrors, seats, etc).  It's got 2 gas tanks and is rather depressing to fill both tanks back up, but for some reason, I've only met like 2 people who didn't like it.  I think between the Ranger and this, I got the better end of the deal, and I think it's because it's got character, something most cars just don't have, especially from the 90's.  It's old enough to be super simple to work on (Example: it has 2 throttle bodies and a for fuel injection instead of fuel injection for each cylinder, the vacuum chamber is still in the shape of a juice can, just like on old trucks, and it's the last generation of F-150's to have a motor that uses push-rods.), original enough to be cool, and nice enough to not be a pile of crap.

This was 2 days after I picked it up, by then I'd taken off the tubes for the bike rack off the front bumper and washed it, waxed it, ordered a mirror for it, took the chicano-style tail light covers off, polished the classy aluminum rims and cleaned the inside completely out.

Then I took the fender skirts off:

And tuned it up (simple stuff like plugs, wires, cleaning the throttle bodies, adjusted the idle), dumped the exhaust, took the camper, window sun visors and bug catcher off and slapped a tool box on:

And that's my ride.  It's on it's 3rd starter (got one after the one I had on it went out, 9 months later, the replaced one went out.  luckily, I have a lifetime warranty on it.), and the only other problem it's had is once it refused to start because some junk got in the fuel lines (easy fix) and the belt tensioner pulley's wheel spun off the bearings (I can show pictures if we need to).  It's only got 128,000 on the clock, 23,000 or so of those miles have been mine.
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 01:39:12 PM »
Found On Road Dead (got that one from a VA State Trooper)
Fixed Or Repaired Daily

First On Race Day.  Never heard that one?   :o
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »
First On Race Day.  Never heard that one?   :o

Actually, no, but I'll add it.  Thanks.