Author Topic: another way to get injured/killed riding a bike...  (Read 6578 times)

Offline vman

another way to get injured/killed riding a bike...
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:34:14 AM »
like we need anymore nasty ways to get taken down on a bike?   death by kite string>?

"A motorcyclist was rushed to a Toronto hospital after slicing his neck on a piece of wire strung across a road on Sunday."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/08/29/motorcycle-string.html?ref=rss

:o

Offline Conrad

Re: another way to get injured/killed riding a bike...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:38:09 AM »
How strange, I had a dream about something like this last night...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 09:12:05 AM »
The son of Tom White (White Brothers was once one of the biggest m/c parts distributors) had this happen to him while trail riding. Caused significant brain damage and I believe he's still an invalid. It was an intentional criminal act. Someone strung a metal cable neck-high on an oft-used and legal off-road trail in California. I don't think they ever caught who did it.

Same type of asshat here, trying to ruin someone's life for no reason other than being a reject from the human race.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:19:42 AM »
So, when will Murph offer ape hangers for the 14?  I can hear it now, loud pipes AND ape hangers save lives.

If only things like this were preventable, sadly, there are way to many folks with the mob or me mentality. Sad, sad, sad.

Heal quickly rider,

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:29:54 AM »
The son of Tom White (White Brothers was once one of the biggest m/c parts distributors) had this happen to him while trail riding. Caused significant brain damage and I believe he's still an invalid. It was an intentional criminal act. Someone strung a metal cable neck-high on an oft-used and legal off-road trail in California. I don't think they ever caught who did it.

Same type of asshat here, trying to ruin someone's life for no reason other than being a reject from the human race.

If I had to guess, it was some environ Nazi extremist who didn't want motorized trails. Kind of like spiking timber. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:01:41 AM »
So, when will Murph offer ape hangers for the 14?  I can hear it now, loud pipes AND ape hangers save lives.

If only things like this were preventable, sadly, there are way to many folks with the mob or me mentality. Sad, sad, sad.

Heal quickly rider,

Do you remember the old Army Jeeps sometimes had a wire guard mounted on the front? It was to protect the folks in the Jeep from just this kind of thing. I can't remember what this thing was called. I googled it and can't come up with a pic. I was a serrated piece of angle iron, or something, and would catch the wire and either break it or cause the wire to go over the top of the Jeep.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 10:26:55 AM »
Something like this perhaps....   http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=574244
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 10:29:31 AM »
All crop dusters have them and a lot of helicopters have them as well.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 10:55:01 AM »
Something like this perhaps....   http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=574244

Although that's not exatly the mental image that I had, it does the same thing.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 12:18:35 PM »
Although that's not exatly the mental image that I had, it does the same thing.

Kinda like that, the one I had back in '82 was an M151A2, bumber #B9, ours was rather crude.  Some of the ones fit on some of the 1 RGR Bns souped up jeeps were very stout, but then again, they had a rather sturdy cage and a coupla extra gun mounts.  Biggest problem they had was the inline 4 was left virtually untouched.  Quite gutless.
Part of the lore behind the apehangers has it they were designed for couriers during WWII just for the purpose of wires accross courier routes and the vets brought the design home.  Some things shoulda stayed overseas :o

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 12:19:52 PM »
Yes, I have one on my restored 1945 GPW.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 01:20:23 PM »
Part of the lore behind the apehangers has it they were designed for couriers during WWII just for the purpose of wires accross courier routes and the vets brought the design home.  Some things shoulda stayed overseas :o

Biggest problem I see with that is, although it would work to protect you from the wire, it would undoubtedly cause you to crash as it yanked the handlebars in whatever direction it wanted.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 01:22:13 PM »
Biggest problem I see with that is, although it would work to protect you from the wire, it would undoubtedly cause you to crash as it yanked the handlebars in whatever direction it wanted.
Beats the heck outa loosing ones head ;)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Beats the heck outa loosing ones head ;)

Not if the resulting crash kills you anyway.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Stasch

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »
I've seen something similar for snowmobiles in case unseen barbed or other wire is run into.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
Yes, I have one on my restored 1945 GPW.

Damn, that's nice...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George