Author Topic: Might need o move to a different bike...  (Read 3218 times)

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
Might need o move to a different bike...
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:26:32 AM »
Ok, I've been riding the Concours over 7 months now, and it's juts getting worse.  Not the bike, that runs great.  But the elbow/shoulder pain and the butt numbness.  The bike already has peg lowerers, and bar risers.  The only way to get higher bars now would be to get a tubular bar adaptor, ne bars, which might also mean new cables and hoses.  Also, a new seat mgith help with more and better foam, but that would raise me up pretty much ensuring I'd need new hoses/cables for bars to reach me.

Now I got the bike prett cheap, so I'm not averse to putiing some $ into it.  But I'm wondering how much before I've crossed the line of diminishing returns and the bike still might not fit.

On the other hand, I test rode a ZG1200 Voyager this weekend.  And while I'm not in love with the bike, it's certainly a nice ride.  it needs some work as well; mostly maintenance things - cleaning, fluids change, tune up and maybe a front tire.  It's a VERY smooth ride and has a ;ot of standard features.  Form what I've read, it's pretty reliabe and is likley to get better mileage than my Conc.  The price is OK, but there's negotiating room.

I ride my Conc about 40-45 miles one way on my commute, and by the time I get home, my butt's sore or numb and my elbows hurt and sometimes my right hand is going numb.  So something has to be done.  I realize I'm supposed to be holding myself up and not leaning on my arms and wrists, but unconsciously I relax into that position all the time.  My previous Conc - some 6+ years ago - was one of the comfiest bikes I'd ever been on.  Not sure if it's my age or the bike, but this doesn't seem to be working.

I'm not really asking for advice or decisions, so much as a different viewpoint.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline koval68

Re: Might need o move to a different bike...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 06:40:57 AM »
If the glove don't fit, you must quit...
Sounds like this bike was a wrong choice from the beginning, it's time to move on and start enjoying motorcycling once more! Good luck to you!
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 07:35:47 AM »
Like Tom said.....and give the VStrom a look.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »
Voyager is a nice bike for an old man...at least that's what my wife kept saying to me while I owned one.  Ride is pretty comfortable and the bike is reliable.  No performance at all, unfortunately, with it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wahrsuul

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 04:38:28 AM »
That's pretty much what I came up with on it.  A nice smooth ride with nice smooth power.  Not the kick-in-the-pants I get when twisting the throttle on the Conc.  Although I have to say, it would have been nice to have this weekend.  The wife can't ride on the Conc (back issues) and the weather was great.  Thats one more reason the Voyager would work, but I'm still not feeling the love I guess.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »
If the glove don't fit, you must quit...
Sounds like this bike was a wrong choice from the beginning, it's time to move on and start enjoying motorcycling once more! Good luck to you!

uh-huh but the saying was "If it (the glove) doesn't fit, you must acquit"
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 01:36:22 PM »
GL1800... real nice smooth ride, throne for the Queen... with a bit more kick in the pants.  8)

If that's out of the budget, see if you can find a Valk.  ;)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Online Stasch

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »
The only way to get higher bars now would be to get a tubular bar adaptor, ne bars, which might also mean new cables and hoses. 

In case that's still an option you are considering, you really only need to get a longer brake line unless you have some super long / high miniape bars.  I've done 2 different Storz with 7/8" bar conversions and only really needed a longer brake line down to the splitter.

You can reroute all electrical, choke and throttle calbes to gain a lot of additional slack.  The hydraulic clutch line can be bent (carefully) to provide a lot of slack as well. 

This worked great for me, as my initial thoughts on changing bars meant hundres of dollars for longer cables and lines.  I did it for $115 for Storz adapter (used), $60 for a dual braided line kit for front brakes, and $20 for 4 different 7/8" bars from a salvage yard.  Not cheap but not hundreds of dollars either.  It made my C10 a serious long distance option for me.  Before, not so much. 

Of course there was the seat, lowered pegs and windshield change as well to go with it.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 07:39:46 PM »
I have a possible solution. Post up a Ride To Eat, both here and over on COG-online forum. Throw out the incentive of a free lunch to the person that has the most comfortable bike, you being the judge. Most of us are frugal enough to think about riding 500 miles for a free lunch.

Aside from that, do some reading on vibration attenuation, loose motor mounts? It's surprising how much one or two irritants can make things really ugly in different areas of the rider. A 45 mile commute shouldn't be killing you, obviously.

I use an "homemade"(a one-off from SiSF) adapter to mount a set of Yamaha ATV bars. Most folks that sit on my bike really like the new ergos. New brake and choke lines/cable. Throttle, electrical and clutch were tight, but it worked.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline koval68

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »
uh-huh but the saying was "If it (the glove) doesn't fit, you must acquit"
Sorry, I must have sneezed while typing... 8)
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline wahrsuul

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 04:36:31 AM »
Yeah, and 1800 would be the solution, but it is out of the budget at the moment.  I've owned a Valk before, and it's a great bike, but I'd need to find an Interstate model for the wife's comfort.

Good to know most of the cables can be re-routed, for the moment that looks like the way to go.  Thanks for the info.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 03:47:32 PM »
I have a possible solution. Post up a Ride To Eat, both here and over on COG-online forum. Throw out the incentive of a free lunch to the person that has the most comfortable bike, you being the judge. Most of us are frugal enough to think about riding 500 miles for a free lunch.

I'd do that for a beer and a free lunch and that's with using premium fuel as well.  Which reminds me, I think I need to throw a ZG/GTR barbeque this summer at some point.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.