Author Topic: NASA will crash GRAIL spacecraft into Moon on December 17  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Walker18

• Arena
NASA will crash GRAIL spacecraft into Moon on December 17
« on: December 14, 2012, 09:33:51 AM »
http://www.gizmag.com/grail-crash/25391/pictures
Scan through the pics by the 'Prev/Next' upper right of the pic..

At a press conference today, NASA confirmed that its two Gravity Recovery and Interior Laboratory (GRAIL) Spacecraft will crash into a lunar mountain next week. The controlled impact will occur on Monday, December 17 at approximately 5:28 p.m. EST (22:28 GMT). The impact area is at latitude 75.62° N, longitude 26.63° E near the lunar North Pole in the vicinity of Goldschmidt crater.

Launched in September 2011, the GRAIL spacecraft have been in polar orbit around the Moon, flying as low as 11 km (6.8 mi) to map lunar gravitational anomalies. The data from these measurements allowed NASA to create the highest resolution gravity map yet made of any body in the Solar System. The extended science mission will end on December 15 when the spacecrafts’ experiments are switched off.

The nature of the GRAIL mapping mission required a great deal of orbital correction by the two craft, with engines firing three times a week. Now the two orbiters are running out of fuel, and NASA will send commands tonight to target the polar mountain for impact. The first craft, Ebb, will make a controlled impact on Monday at 5:28:40. The second, Flow, will hit 20 seconds later. They will be traveling at 3,760 mph (6,051 km/h).

Impact zone of the GRAIL spacecraft (Image: NASA/GSFC)
The impact area was chosen to avoid affecting heritage sites where American and Russian spacecraft have landed, and as an opportunity to learn about the composition of the impact area with an eye on detecting the presence of volatiles such as water. Before the impact, NASA will order the two craft to start their engines one last time to burn off any remaining fuel so that NASA engineers can determine how much was left in the tanks.

Because the impact is occurring during a new moon, no images of the impact will be available.
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: NASA will crash GRAIL spacecraft into Moon on December 17
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 09:37:25 AM »
They're up to something.  Usually they're all over this stuff like white on rice getting pictures out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 09:48:40 AM »
They're up to something.  Usually they're all over this stuff like white on rice getting pictures out.
In a rush to beat the 21st. ;D ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 10:09:23 AM »
It's got something to do with that mini-me space shuttle flying above our heads as well.  Something's afoot methinks and it isn't good for us.  It never is.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 10:11:23 AM »
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/13dec_grail/

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's all animation.  Nothing real.  I think they found aliens and they're going to try to off them...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 10:17:18 AM »
Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's all animation.  Nothing real.  I think they found aliens and they're going to try to off them...

So that's how the beginning of the end starts eh?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline red2000

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:14:06 AM »
Are they holy GRAILS?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »
So that's how the beginning of the end starts eh?

Possibly.

Are they holy GRAILS?

I would sincerely hope so.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 11:54:15 AM »
It's a cover up.  They had another one of those Metric-to-English conversion mistakes.   ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 12:19:56 PM »
It's a cover up.  They had another one of those Metric-to-English conversion mistakes.   ;D

I hate when that happens.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »

Damn, that means they have no idea what it's slamming into.. Keep an eye up on the 17th..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'