Author Topic: Bike value/repair issues  (Read 2633 times)

Offline DonDDR

Bike value/repair issues
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:14:51 AM »

A good friend of mine has an 01 with 30k miles. Little or no maintenance in many years. Now it runs like crap and he wants me to get it to run so it can be sold. I will go thru the carbs and such to clean up the fuel system and make it run proper. So he wants 2500 or so for the bike after the carb work. I am not charging to help him with this. But what is it really worth? Its been out side and not really pretty, but not so bad. If I do fork oil, grease steering head bearings, valve adjust, final drive fluid change, cable lube, etc, is it worth this extra work so he can charge 3k instead of 2500? If I have to do the extra stuff Im gunna want paid. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Offline kzz1king

Re: Bike value/repair issues
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »
I bought my 01 last fall with 40k, fresh tuneup,new Shinkos, new Givi shield and genmars. looks great but had and undiagnosticed  oil leak that I was able to fix easily. I think I got a great deal. I paid $1750. Hope this helps
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 05:09:49 PM »
Got my 01, a year and a half ago. 15k, fresh rubber, always garaged , not running needed battery and cleaned piolt jets. Paid $1000. A really good deal, till it ate the cam @ 30k !

You can clean the carbs without kits. But replace all rubber in the petcock/fuel lines and I use the old dirt bike fuel filter {clear plastic} the 90* ones work best
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline paul1k

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 05:51:29 PM »
I have a '01 that i purchased in spring of '09 for under $500 with 5k. The PO hydro-locked and let it sit stored it outside under a tarp. So I had to replace a LOT of stuff. Little by little, I've been replacing rusty bits as I go. On my first inspection the guy who did my state safety check, asked if I rode it on the beach LOL!
However that being said my bike now runs like a top. 14k, new tires, brakes, all maintenance up to date. Its reliable and I would ride it anywhere!  Cosmetically now I would rate mine the same as your friends "Not that bad". I still have things that need powder coating.
As far as sale price goes. If i was to sell. I'd be happy to get $2000 for it.  $3000 is very optimistic in this economy, esp for a bike that has been neglected at some point in its life.
HTH

Offline works4me

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 01:15:01 PM »
It will never sell for 3,000 no matter how much you do to it.
Sell it as is for 1,500 but make the new owner fully aware
of what he's in for.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 02:32:08 PM »
It seems you want to add to the price for maintenance that already should have been done. The value of the bike is maybe 2g, 2500 tops, for a squared away bike with no issues, and maybe some farkling. Start subtracting for the "doesn't look too pretty", and lack of maintenance issues. Someone coming to look at it will see it has obviously been neglected, and view it's value accordingly.

Get your friend to pay for all the maintenance out of "all the extra money" he'll get for it cuz some(not all)  of the maintenance that was neglected finally got done. Three large is way above market for a neglected and non farkled C-10.

You didn't mention it, but I A$$umed it is mostly non farkled. Maybe my bad, apologies iff'n I A$$umed incorrectly.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:44:25 PM by SteveJ. »
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline DonDDR

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 03:41:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I guess he should of taken the $1900 he was offered last year. Doesnt sound like he is going to get that now even after I address the issues.

Offline DonDDR

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 03:43:43 PM »
BTW, Steve, what is farkling?

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 04:18:46 PM »
Farkling is the addiction we have to constantly add goodies to the bike and modify it. After market parts can help the value some. That is what I tell myself everytime I buy some more stuff for the bike 8)
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Stasch

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 11:29:59 AM »
After market parts can help the value some. That is what I tell myself everytime I buy some more stuff for the bike

My 2000 has 62,000 mi., nicely farkled - Corbin seat, Cee Bailey windshield, electric cruise control, driving lights, Shad trunk, SISF exhaust cam advance gear and carb jet kit, knee saver foot pegs, highway pegs, passenger floorboards, auxiliary fuse box, Storz bar adaptor with bars and longer braided brake lines and on and on.  Took me almost 9 years but its finally just how I want it.

The whole package could probably sell for around $2,500, maybe $3,000 - but I doubt it. 

Only a couple hundred less if I removed the hundreds (thousands?) of dollars worth of farkles.

I guess there can be such a thing as over building for the neighborhood . . . . just tell yourself that you can't put a price tag on some things - works for me !

Its worth far more to me than anywhere I could sell it for.  Its in tip top shape, ready to go anywhere, anytime.  Even has brand new tires.  Just asking for a couple hundred thousand more miles out of her.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1