Author Topic: Air Filter  (Read 12493 times)

Offline olie

Re: Air Filter
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 04:00:21 PM »
I just installed this filter and I'm very happy. Those pictures don't do it justice....they look quite restrictive and it's not.

My bike is running perfectly.

+1
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline smokin

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 07:58:24 PM »
+2,    and as I said before "Same Hi flo filter is recommended for a ZX14,which has a higher CFM rating than a C14/GTR1400.I have fitted one to the GTR1400 covered a few miles no different than the OEM filter in terms of performance. Don't think the smaller holes in the metal panel makes any difference in performance".

SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline smokin

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 08:03:16 PM »
Interesting air filter general comparison is terms of the amount of dirt some filters allow to go into the engine.: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:55:01 PM by smokin »
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 09:28:21 PM »
Interesting air filter general comparison is terms of the amount of dirt some filters allow to go into the engine.
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Linky no worky.... it hink the extra colon punctuation threw it wonky..
Try again?

Click the modifed link I have above, after making it correct...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 05:08:12 AM »
I stopped using K&N and Amsoil oiled filters after I started using more oil in my vehicles over time.....more than what I was used to in owning Toyota vehicles.  I now use paper disposable filters.  As far as the bike goes, I didn't see any oil consumption issues on either the C10 or the C14 when using K&N (I think I used it on the C10...memory is lacking).  However, once I made the choice to stop using oiled filters, I stopped it on all my vehicles.  This was my personal choice based on anecdotal non-scientific evidence.  I don't regret making the switch back to paper.  I did not perceive nor notice any power or mileage per gallon increases using oiled filters.  YMMV
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:47:18 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2016, 08:52:50 AM »
I had a K&N on my last bike, installed by the previous owner.  I never totally trusted them but didn't have any evidence for or against.  I know I didn't like the cleaning and re-oiling procedure.  Just more dirty work to do when servicing the bike vs. just throwing out the old and installing the new.  Also, knowing how much oil was enough vs. too much or too little was a guesstimate.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2016, 10:38:22 AM »
I look at it like this: to the best of my knowledge, there are exactly five air filters available for the C14... OE, Hiflo, Bikemaster, BMC, K&N. The first two are disposable paper; the last three are washable/oilable. The last three all say they flow more air AND trap more dirt. IMO, that's not possible. I will stay with the first two.

OTOH there are about 100 oil filters that fit, so if I want to get creative, I can (and have) play with these.

I had another thought. The washable filters are marketed as "race" filters. If you are actually racing and tearing down an engine every race, and have a setup that can benefit from big air, then one of these washable, oiled, hi flow filters might make sense. The more open area and oil should flow and trap more. But it won't last a typical daily rider / commuter maintenance cycle.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline Freddy

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2021, 11:47:09 PM »
Wise words ^

I checked over a friend's bike while doing a valve adjust at 200,000km.  Inside of airbox that had a K&N almost from near new, which was serviced as per manufacturer specs (K&N). 

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 06:34:47 PM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2021, 05:39:53 AM »
Wise words ^

I checked over a friend's bike while doing a valve adjust at 200,000km.  Inside of airbox that had a K&N almost from near new, which was serviced as per manufacturer specs (K&N).  [pics of lots of contamination]

Wow.  I wonder if that mess is FROM the filter, or stuff that got through it?

I replaced my stock filter at 43,500 miles with a Hiflofiltro HFA2916.  The air box was very clean.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2021, 06:00:50 AM »
It's what went thru - look at the crud in the 1st pic.  Here's a pic of the left side of the airbox.  Note the accumulation of crud in the crease, where it collects when on the side stand before dripping into the catch-can along with a bit of oil blown up there from the c/case breather tube. The c/case breather tube and catch-can tube are located immediately below that small rectangular piece at the bottom of the pic.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 06:38:32 PM by Freddy »

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2021, 08:15:14 AM »
Freddy - It might be my monitor, but it looks like the dirty rag and the liquid in the catch can are both very red, which is the color of the K&N filter oil that you spray on the filter after cleaning. I think that's what drove Maxtog to ask, " I wonder if that mess is FROM the filter(?)" (Maxtog, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2021, 03:03:07 PM »
Freddy - It might be my monitor, but it looks like the dirty rag and the liquid in the catch can are both very red, which is the color of the K&N filter oil that you spray on the filter after cleaning. I think that's what drove Maxtog to ask, " I wonder if that mess is FROM the filter(?)" (Maxtog, please correct me if I'm wrong).

That is, indeed, what I was thinking.  Of course, the amount of liquid captured is pretty gross, too.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2021, 06:39:11 PM »
Yes, probly over oiled which helped to 'wash' some crud out.

Here's a pic of my bike's airbox at 110,000km, having used only stock or HiFlo filters.  Clean as a whistle.   :chugbeer:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 06:39:20 PM by Freddy »