Author Topic: Motorcycle Superstore + Shinko Recall  (Read 11364 times)

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 06:58:25 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:06:15 PM by knight_mare »

Offline Crashcup

Re: Motorcycle Superstore + Shinko Recall
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 09:48:39 PM »
Lucky me... I'm 2 for 2 on Shinko delaminations now. The front 757 bubbled up pretty badly, like the picture earlier in this thread, before I noticed it.

Yesterday on the way to work, I noticed a bit of a shake at around 30 mph. Pulled off the road immediately and checked the tires - nothing obviously wrong - and looked for loose bolts or anything. Thought maybe it was my imagination. Then on the way home, more of the shake, so last night I checked the engine mounting bolts and front end, since I had recently finished some fork work. Everything was okay there, so I went ahead and rode to work today, after checking the tire pressures again.

On the way home today, again I felt a bit of a shake, and then even felt like there was something bumping the rear end of the bike to the left, and after about 20 miles, finally started to feel the "flapping" feeling, similar to what I had felt with the front, but not as strong.

Taking a close look at home, I could finally tell it was definitely the rear Shinko 757. I could see cracks in the bottom corners of the tread grooves, and in a few places could feel the tread give under hard pressure from my thumbs.

After taking the rear wheel off, it was really obvious from a few angles where the tire was clearly deformed. I had caught the delamination early.

What really sucks is that I had ordered a replacement from Motorcycle Superstore (under the Shinko exchange program), but it won't arrive before a rally I'm signed up for this weekend!  So I'm going to have to run around to pick up a replacement locally to get mounted before Friday. Then I'll have a spare arrive probably early next week.  ???

I've learned (1) Those were some pretty expensive cheap tires. (2) I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by customer service at Motorcycle Superstore.
2005 Concours - "Vanessa"
1999 VFR800 - "Stella"

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 12:05:03 PM »
Ordered the AV46 yesterday. Should be here by Wed. next week.

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 07:07:44 AM »
Motorcycle CRAPstore.   FIFY      old tires [3-4 yrs]are the ones on sale.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 10:03:07 PM »
I received my tire today. Looks like it was manufactured in 2010. I should get it installed tomorrow. Nice looking tire and I like the tread pattern.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 09:50:19 AM »
Motorcycle CRAPstore.   FIFY      old tires [3-4 yrs]are the ones on sale.

What should they do with them...?
'02 C-10

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 12:05:44 PM »
Went this morning to get the tire installed at Alamo Cycleplex. The cost was ~$51 (left the paperwork in the truck). It took them about 50 minutes to get it done. Now I will see if I can get it on tonight.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 06:41:23 AM »
Got it installed last night. I was too freaking hot, sweaty and dirty though to take it out for a ride. I just started the bike to make sure as best I could that the exhaust was on right. While I was at the stealership I also ordered a new exhaust mounting bolt and nut as the previous owner must have lost it and replaced it with something else. It worked okay but what really bugged me was that I had to use two different wrenches just for that one so more tools needed to do the job.

I rode into work this morning and it felt great. I will have to make another post for a different question though.