Author Topic: Re-use of old car names  (Read 2944 times)

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
Re-use of old car names
« on: August 31, 2021, 07:25:35 AM »

Ford has done it again.   I saw they are re-using the Maverick name for a small truck, which is a hybrid Ranger.    I thought they were pushing it with using the Mustang name for the Mach-E last year.  Pontiac LeMans is another.  What are your thoughts on this?  Can't they be a little more creative and come up with some new names?   

Offline sport rider

Re: Re-use of old car names
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 09:34:45 AM »
I don 't mind them reusing names as long as they do justice to the original namesake.  Lord, when they made the Nove again in the 80s, I puked.

Offline timdow

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 10:57:47 AM »
I would really prefer that if they are going to recycle a name, that they make it the same style of car/truck.  The Ford Maverick to me is a mid-sized 70's car, not a truck.

If you want a laugh, take a look at the the "Ranger" and "Suburban" cars, and the 50's version of the "Fiesta."

Offline dboogie2288

• Beginnerbikers.org
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 05:48:05 PM »
I agree its kind of annoying. Chevy reusing "Trailblazer"....the original TB was a legend and a massively popular car with function and form and the whole platform was successful. Now the new TB is just another stupid looking crossover with no real interesting characteristics. Did you know the original TB had a tow rating of 6200# for the little inline 6cyl?!!!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 09:20:20 AM »
I don't like the reuse of old names unless it's a reboot of the same vehicle and even then it perturbs me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 04:55:53 PM »
This is not a Mustang.... :pukeface:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 06:14:27 AM »
Is that a Mustang II variant?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 03:06:41 PM »
unfortunately that's what they called it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 05:37:54 PM »
We had a 74 Mustang II with a 4 cylinder in it.  POS.  1974 was about the worst when it came to emissions plumbing.   Made the car undriveable at times.  Had Firestone tires on it which had issues and it left us more than one time FORD (Found On Road Dead).

However, many car rebuilders still use that front end on cars now.  Don't know why, but there's something about it they like.

Offline cra-z1000

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 11:20:35 PM »
The Plymouth "Volare Roadrunner" always comes to mind for me on this subject 😂😂

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2021, 04:01:19 PM »
There is obviously marketing value in classic car names. That it works for decidely "unlassic" product says a lot about the average customer.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 03:28:55 AM »
Marketing, or the art of selling stuff to people who actually don't want or need it.  ::)

The reuse of branding is a common thing as people like the familiar and will often get very upset when someone disses their chosen brand.
It's also easy/cheap for the manufacturer as they already own the brand and have existing logos to draw upon.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 06:16:36 AM »

I do not like what they call the new Bronco, ugly.   The old full-size model was much better.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 09:47:30 AM »
Nitpick, the new Maverick is NOT a hybrid Ranger, totally different platform using unibody construction similar to the Honda ridgeline, not body on frame. I believe it may be based or share platforms with an Australian version which the Ranger does with it's platform. And, something good does come out of the Junkstang. The front suspension and rack and pinion steering units are THE hot set up for early model hot rods and such.   
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 04:36:26 PM »
Meh. I think people have an issue when the name is dropped, then comes back. No one is mad that the current Silverado looks nothing like the original. Even Camaro fanboys got over it. I get far more upset when someone new I meet has the same name as someone else whom I despise.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2021, 07:25:43 AM »
new maverick doesn't bother me name wise.  I've owned 2 mavericks, a 72 and a 75. Both hot rods, and a few smaller rangers over the years (which was also a re used name fwiw). I would have bought a new Maverick IF it had a full sized, at least length, bed. they def lost me there.

How about kawasaki reusing the H2 name? the originals were a derivative of the H series, and they literally just regurgitated it for the new one with zero lineage aside from it being fast for the time.  Doesn't bother me much and i have owned a few 'original' h2's over the years. 
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2021, 10:33:25 AM »
The new Maverick is more closely related to the old Ranchero, why not use that old name? I think it's based on the current Australian Falcon.

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2021, 01:02:14 PM »
pretty sure the aus falcon line ended in '16.  however, they should bring the utes to the us, its stupid they didnt. same with gm. I'll never understand that. But yeah ranchero would have been better, i have to agree there.

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2021, 01:49:09 PM »
GM did try, remember the ill fated new GTO, and, the Chevy also based on the Holden Commodore?

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2021, 01:51:49 PM »
none were utes though, thats my point. My GF has an '18 Buick tourx, which is a holden model. its fantastic, too.