Author Topic: Where to eat (drink) in NC  (Read 6236 times)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Where to eat (drink) in NC
« on: July 23, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »
Ok here is a question to anyone who lives and/or visits the Hayesville, Franklin, Murphy North Carolina area; where do you find your most favorite eats? We are going to be spending an entire week at a cabin in Hayesville in late Sept and while there will be doing a lot of driving around so I'm wanting to know what and where did you find some good remarkable eats. We will be traveling out on day trips as far as Gatlinburg TN, Maggie Valley & Ashville NC, and south into Blairsville GA so be sure to give me some wide ranging prospects.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Where to eat (drink) in NC
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 08:08:32 PM »
http://www.jarretthouse.com/

Good place for home cooking.  I don't think there is much drinking there, though.  We always eat there when in that area of NC.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:55:17 PM »
Asheville, Tues drinks half price
http://www.bistro1896.com/
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:30:35 AM »
While your visiting Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum in Maggie Valley, go down the road just a little & stop @ Butts on The Creek. Good BBQ last time we were there. If you like barbeque you can't really go wrong just about anywhere there. IMHO.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 11:39:54 AM »
I can't remember the name of the place in Maggie Valley but it's on the S side of the road on the main drag. It's so close to the street you can barely park a bike between the building and the sidewalk. Fried grouper fingers are fantastic along with very cold bier.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »
Cook's Kitchen Restaurant Blairsville - Nice, honest people. Good southern style breakfast. Right beside the bridge over Hyw 515 (the only one in town,  btw).

The Dillard House, Dillard, GA on Hwy 441. Family style, southern cooking. Go hungry, it's all you can eat.

The Smith House in Dahlonega GA. Similar to The Dillard House.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 05:45:45 PM »
Iff'n yer gonna do the Cherohala Skyway, do Krambonz BBQ at the end of it in Telico Plains, TN. It's in the same parking lot as the Save a Lot supermarket. This place has become legendary in the motorcycling world.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 07:24:23 PM »
12 bones in Asheville is amazing. If you can get in there. http://www.12bones.com/
Let me know when you are around Aville, maybe I can show you a place or two.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 07:39:16 PM »
I remembered the name of the joint with the grouper fingers. The Salty Dog.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 05:21:03 AM »
While your visiting Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum in Maggie Valley, go down the road just a little & stop @ Butts on The Creek. Good BBQ last time we were there. If you like barbeque you can't really go wrong just about anywhere there. IMHO.

BTDT Twice.... Yum
Tony P. Crochet

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 05:23:28 AM »
I remembered the name of the joint with the grouper fingers. The Salty Dog.

Really old looking wooden joint with a big screened in place to eat in the back?
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 11:51:11 AM »
Hmm...never been in back. Always parked in front, sat in front. Verticle white stripes on front, IIRC.
Another neat place is the Bobarosa (like Ponderosa) on the French Broad river.  "Biker" oriented but cold beer and tbles along the river with table service.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »
Hmm...never been in back. Always parked in front, sat in front. Verticle white stripes on front, IIRC.
Another neat place is the Bobarosa (like Ponderosa) on the French Broad river.  "Biker" oriented but cold beer and tbles along the river with table service.

Yeah I don't really remember the name of the place but Salty Dog seemed to fit its theme. Place I'm thinking of was south off of Soco Road into Waynesville perhaps on 276 or 74 they had a really good seafood menu and a very relaxed and rustic atmosphere.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 04:37:52 PM »
Iff'n yer gonna do the Cherohala Skyway, do Krambonz BBQ at the end of it in Telico Plains, TN. It's in the same parking lot as the Save a Lot supermarket. This place has become legendary in the motorcycling world.

In fact I was indeed planning on the Skyway for several reasons. With the number one being that it was by far my big brothers favorite road and while he has been gone from this world for a few years he was known as "grocro" on the old forums and could ride like he was outrunning stink.... I like your idea of Krambonz BBQ, thanks!
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 04:51:30 PM »
The Dog is right up the street from Wheels Through Time.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 05:09:49 PM »
The Dog is right up the street from Wheels Through Time.

Yeah once I re-read your post I realized we where not even on the same road..... It's been since 09 that I was last there. I think that I recall the dog now that you mention WTT. Maybe the place I've got on my mind was called the Blue Crab or something like that?

I don't know for sure if we will visit WTT again but I know for sure that we will take a trip up Cove Creek Road to the Cataloochee Valley to visit with the wild elk herd again.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »
In fact I was indeed planning on the Skyway for several reasons. With the number one being that it was by far my big brothers favorite road and while he has been gone from this world for a few years he was known as "grocro" on the old forums and could ride like he was outrunning stink.... I like your idea of Krambonz BBQ, thanks!
You'll like it even more when you're waddling out. This is the real deal. I like the brisket, but everything's excellent. And really nice folks that run it.

Bon apetit

PS. I do remember your brother.

Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 05:10:07 PM »
If you go to Tellico Plains, stop in at the Tellico Grains Bakery.  Great little family run place with good bread, good sandwiches, and incredible canoles.  Very clean and the owners/employees treated us like family.  And I believe it was on old bank when built in the early 1900s. 

http://tellico-grains-bakery.com/

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 09:30:33 PM »
If you go to Tellico Plains, stop in at the Tellico Grains Bakery.  Great little family run place with good bread, good sandwiches, and incredible canoles.  Very clean and the owners/employees treated us like family.  And I believe it was on old bank when built in the early 1900s. 

http://tellico-grains-bakery.com/

Have plans on stopping at KramBonz for a plate full of BBQ and then on to the bakery for a sack full of sweets to eat at the roadside parks when we drive the Skyway.... Should exit the Skyway just as stuffed as when we enter it!

Thanks....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 07:15:56 PM »

And since you'll want to ride the skyway again hit the Telico Cafe second time around.  Across the Skyway pass the gas station take a right, it's on your right.