Author Topic: Irene  (Read 7458 times)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Re: Irene
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 01:08:46 PM »
For those that may be wondering, my Yoda is fine, I actually got in, started her up and drove her out of there because I was afraid the water might actually rise more.

:offtopic: If you haven't already, change the oil in 'Yoda's differentials. Water most likely got in through the breather tubes, it turns to steam when it heats up and does bad things. It also basically just pollutes the gear oil.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline DaveO

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 07:25:38 PM »
getting a lot of rain for last 6-7 hours here just ne of philly.
40-50 mph wind and even  heaveier rain gets here after midnight.
The rain has me a little worried about flooding.
I am ready for power outages . Picked up a nice generator about a year ago and now nice to know i can have lights and a pot of coffee if i want.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 08:01:50 AM »
Well, lots of rain here in upstate NY.  Some wind, but no more than in a typical thunderstorm.  I'm sure all the usual spots around here that flood with every major thunderstorm are already flooded, or will be soon.  Around here (Hudson Valley/Catskills) the streams vary by 15+ feet after a storm.  But the floods don't do a lot of damage, because people don't build in the flood areas.

Lost power at around 7:30.  Got the generator up and running, so I've got lights, water, and everything.  I like this generator that I got from Harbor Freight - electric start makes things really nice!  What I don't like is that the wheel kit is sold separately, and I haven't gotten it yet.   :-\  Guess I know where I'm headed this week.

This is an old dam (Woodstock Dam) near me in normal weather:

And this is it after a big storm last year:

I'll swing by it today and get a pic to see what it looks like with this storm.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 08:07:13 AM »
Jersey shore-some big branches down - got my fence but missed pool and toyhauler by a few feet.  Not bad but most around me are w/o power.
Hope everyone is safe

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 08:15:38 AM »
All those people without power is going to mean a lot of flooded basements. Years ago after my sump pump failed I installed a back up battery powered sump pump that has more than paid for itself over the years.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 08:40:35 AM »
All those people without power is going to mean a lot of flooded basements. Years ago after my sump pump failed I installed a back up battery powered sump pump that has more than paid for itself over the years.

Didn't know they made those.  What does it use for a battery?  And is it a 12v (or whatever) pump, or a 120v with an inverter?
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »
Didn't know they made those.  What does it use for a battery?  And is it a 12v (or whatever) pump, or a 120v with an inverter?

It uses a 12v deep cycle battery that is on a smart charger along with a 12v pump. The float switch gets mounted higher up in the sump than the regular pump so that it doesn't get activated normally. If the power goes out and the water in the sump gets up above the normal level it turns on and pumps.

Here's the brand that I have.

http://www.basementwatchdog.com/

And this is the model.

http://www.basementwatchdog.com/basement_watchdog_emergency.htm

Like I said, it's saved me several times in the past.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »
In laws comming to live in the toyhauler for a couple days. They are w/o power and were told it would be days before restore over on the bay island.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 03:55:42 PM »
Next time the weather's nice, I'm going to this spot and marking the railing with a paint marker so I can get my camera in exactly the same spot every time.

And this is the same dam after Hurricane Irene:  30 second Video Link.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 04:46:43 AM »
Whoa!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 07:34:10 AM »
Whoa!

Yeah.  Granted, that's a spot where the creek narrows down, but it was about 20 FEET over where it usually runs.  I saw other, wider areas of that same creek, and it was still 15 feet above normal.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 08:58:30 AM »
Well, I see it's down to a Cat 1, with wind speed down to 85mph.  Whole lot of hype...

Next hurricane that rolls up the coast thru Va, I'll extend an invitation for you to come visit, as will anyone here in Va....
and we'll see how fast you eat those words. ;) and make a hasty retreat back up north.
We are finally back up on power and such north of richmond.
Tree damage is severe here.

The funny part is the "hype" was the fact that some spots got hit during DAYLIGHT, so people could go out and shoot videos, and put them up.....
we got hit in the darkness, and never saw it till morn, other than opening the door, and watching 90ft trees bending completely to the ground, befor snapping like toothpicks....argggggggg

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Son of Pappy

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 09:01:39 AM »
All I gotta say is I would have enjoyed the company but I'm happy no one was forced to take me up on the offer, which is still on the table BTW.  Be safe out there,

Chet

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 01:33:56 PM »
Next hurricane that rolls up the coast thru Va, I'll extend an invitation for you to come visit, as will anyone here in Va....
and we'll see how fast you eat those words. ;) and make a hasty retreat back up north.

I've been hoping to correlate vacation time with a hurricane that heads for the Outer Banks for several years.  My folks have a condo there, and I really want to ride out a storm there.  Although the storms seem to be attracted when my parents are vacationing there.  They left, mostly because my brother kept nagging them about how worried he was.  They were planning to ride it out.  They've been down there a couple of times over the years when there have been mandatory evacuations, but this one wasn't.

Power was out for two days here.  There are still a lot of areas around with none.  Flooding has gone down in almost all areas.  (The geography here makes for quick, fierce (sometimes flash) floods that are gone the next day.)  I didn't even lose any major branches off any of my trees.  (I have two dead ones that wouldn't hit anything if they fell, and even they stayed up.)

Because of the Nor'easters and winter storms we get around here, a lot of people are prepared for this kind of weather.  My generator runs my well pump, hot water, lights, computers, fish tanks, refrigerators, etc.  About the only things I avoid using are the dishwasher, washer, and dryer.  (Washer and dryer can be run if I'm careful about what else is being used) 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 02:04:10 PM »
been thru 3 hurricanes, and one tropical storm, and by far I believe there were more deaths and damage during the tropical storm (here) Gaston.
i'm sure if you google you will find all the photos and such of Richmond totally under water.
I'm just glad there was only damage this storm, as I think people in Va have gotten the messege that they need to be prepared. I would never want to ride a storm out on the O/B's, it is always a gamble there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gaston_(2004)

http://www.richmondcitywatch.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 04:07:47 PM »
Well, a nice motorcycle ride to Harbor Freight today got me a wheel kit for my generator.  (They had two wheel kits and no generators)  I can't believe it's an add-on kit, and doesn't come standard.  One closed state highway on my return trip let me wander around and find a couple of nice roads to ride.  The wheel kit would have been a lot easier to install if the generator wasn't full of gas, so it took twice as long as it could have.  Now I've got to get my older generator fixed so I can loan it out for the next storm.  (I think it might just be a stuck low-oil-shutoff)

Of course, a Harbor Freight stop wouldn't be complete without some impulse buys...  Also came home with an automatic battery float charger ($4.99 with coupon - Hey, I need to be sure the battery is charged on the generator, right?), a new switch for my Conc's driving lights (Hey, I lost the knob somewhere between the National and home.), and a nifty solar battery charger ($6.97 on clearance - can charge 2 AA batteries, and has voltage settings for 3, 6, 9, and 12 volts - a whopping 50 mA at 12V!)