Author Topic: Continental hunt  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Conrad

Continental hunt
« on: November 29, 2013, 06:35:59 AM »
Yesterday at Thanksgiving dinner my brother (Mark) was telling me about a 'continental hunt' that some wealthy friends of Mark's boss invited him to. Mark had never heard of a continental hunt (nor had I) before and it was all free to him, he just had to bring his shotgun, so he accepted the invite.

For the 'hunt' all the ammo you might need is provided along with the dogs that retrieve your kill. They also provided all the free booze and food that you can hold as well. My brother said that most of the guys were pretty much already drunk by the time they got there.

Mark then described how the 'hunt' worked.  :o

All the rich guys stand in a line and evenly spaced from each other. Then some flunky releases caged pheasants, one at a time, (250 for this 'hunt') from a safe area in front of the 'hunters' and these birds fly directly towards the 'hunters' while the drunks blast the **** out of the birds and the dogs pick up what's left of them.

Are you :censored: kidding me? I was embarrassed to hear about this kind of ****. How very sporting of the rich.  >:(

Mark took home bags of fully cleaned birds ready to cook. These birds weren't even from their 'hunt' but from the 'hunt' that occurred before theirs!

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Continental hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 06:48:04 AM »
 >:(   Was this in Ill-inois?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 07:05:08 AM »
>:(   Was this in Ill-inois?

Yep.

It sounds about like shooting fish in a barrel! What a challenge...    ::)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 08:13:55 PM »
I found myself invited to a hunt exactly like this a long time ago in southeastern Virginia. The poor cage-raised birds were so stunned, one of them wouldn't light and got trapped on the ground in the jaws of one of the dogs. The "gamekeeper" pried the bird free of the dog , which flew up only to be blown away by about three gunners at less than 15 yards.

Disgusting. I felt nauseous. It was a slaughter.

Never again. This type of bastardized version of the old English walking hunt, with beaters in the field, is a sick money-fueled joke. At least all the hunters go home happy with some game, right? ::)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:02:20 AM by Tarheelbob »
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 03:45:21 AM »
What would you say if these people didn't have money?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 06:05:01 AM »
The "gamekeeper" pried the bird free of the dog , only to be blown away by about three gunners at less than 15 yards.
I've got this mental picture of the bird flying free and the 'gamekeeper' in a bloody pile on the ground.  ::)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 06:44:01 AM »
What would you say if these people didn't have money?

What does that have to do with anything? I'd say the same dammed thing! It's shameful and disgusting!

Anyways, if you didn't have money you wouldn't get to pretend that you're a real hunter in this way.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 07:51:29 AM »
Pigeon shoots are conducted the same way. As a hunter, primarily an archery hunter, I don't see that as hunting at all. It's really a shameful practice, and I have nothing but contempt for those who would disgrace the word "hunter". Steve

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 08:22:58 AM »
You wouldn't find me anywhere near a bunch of drunk people shooting regardless of what kind of "hunt" it was.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 09:20:17 AM »
You got that right!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 09:22:34 AM »
What does that have to do with anything? I'd say the same dammed thing! It's shameful and disgusting!

Anyways, if you didn't have money you wouldn't get to pretend that you're a real hunter in this way.
That is exactly what I was asking due to the "rich guys" and "money fueled" comments.

The entire concept is BS.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 02:28:53 PM »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..