Author Topic: Weather Radio.  (Read 3118 times)

Offline Tele130

Weather Radio.
« on: February 04, 2013, 03:24:20 PM »
Does anyone use one during their X-Country rides?

If so:  Which one?

I'm looking at this Radio .  But It just seems to be "Over Kill" because I use my iPhone (With the Magellan GPS app) as my GPS and music source.  I also use a Samsung Bluetooth receiver for my ear buds.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Weather Radio.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 07:02:24 AM »
Yaesu FTM-10R ham radio.  Does the weather channels and scans them in the background.  If there is a severe weather alert, it interrupts whatever else it is doing and gives the weather channel audio.

"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:04:20 AM »
I use a Droid Razr Maxx HD with a Sena smh10. Got weather including radar maps with WeatherBug, got music with google play, Pandora etc. When it rains I pop it off and throw the phone into the glove box. Added conductive thread to my gloves so the touch screen works with gloves on.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 10:05:54 AM »
I also use TuneSync to sync Play Music with iTunes.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:06:37 AM »
WeatherBug also gives me weather alerts for my current location.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:13:59 AM »
Maybe I just need to checkout the Weatherbug app for the iPhone.  I'd really like the weather alert to automatically come on when the watch/warning is issued.  I have a pair of deerskin "Touchscreen" gloves from Aerostich.  I just don't like messing with it while underway.

Thanks.

Doug Colton

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:23:56 AM »
Maybe I just need to checkout the Weatherbug app for the iPhone.  I'd really like the weather alert to automatically come on when the watch/warning is issued.  I have a pair of deerskin "Touchscreen" gloves from Aerostich.  I just don't like messing with it while underway.

Thanks.

I try not to mess with it much while underway also. You have to have a good mount to be able do it at all. The Sena allows me to answer the phone, get text to speech and fast forward/rewind on music without touching the phone. Unless I know who it is and I know it is important I don't generally answer the phone either. If I get a weather alert I pull over to read it, look at weather radar etc. The touchscreen gloves just let me do it without taking the gloves off. This allows me to do it while stopped at a light as well.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 08:19:06 PM »
  I find when the windshield is wet I do believe it's raining! :o
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Tele130

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 09:16:31 PM »
  I find when the windshield is wet I do believe it's raining! :o
;D
So true. And when your teeth start to chatter it's getting cold.  :rotflmao:

Ill be riding through "Tornado Alley" (Kansas City to Boulder CO).  I lived in Omaha for 12 years and those sneaky little boogers can creep up on yea before you know it.  :o ;D. I'd like to have the warning pop up before a State Trooper is telling me to clear the highway because of the approaching storm.  (Yea, done that one too) ???

Doug Colton