Author Topic: Cal Sci "Wide"--problem or not? (opinions, please!)  (Read 5333 times)

Offline copdocpvd

Cal Sci "Wide"--problem or not? (opinions, please!)
« on: July 21, 2014, 09:03:59 AM »
After talking to a bunch of people and seeing the windshield, decided on ordering a Cal Sci.  I am definitely interested in the "wide" version, but have seen differing opinions on whether or not it interferes with full lock-to-lock steering--a couple members have said it is a problem, a couple have said it isn't.

I have and AST handlebar riser (2" up and 2" back), so am thinking it might not be an issue anyway.

I'm 6'1, 33 inch inseam, thinking either the regular or the wide in XL?  (I ride year long, and would rather have more protection for cold riding than less for warm weather--I can always put it in the lowest position or use the stock screen).

Any opinions would be very much appreciated
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline connie and me

Re: Cal Sci "Wide"--problem or not? (opinions, please!)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 06:53:18 PM »
I have one for the colder weather months I ride here in Mn.  It does NOT interfere with any steering, I also have ast risors, ( up 1.5"s and back 1") also wedges on top  of the risor's.  Its a big sucker though, when up all the way the bike is quiet as a church mouse! I am just over 6' and 34.5 inseam...
2012 Black

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 07:18:33 AM »
I have a C-Baily Ultra Tour Domed. No problems with any steering interference and really smooths out the air for me.

Offline petepro

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:41:30 AM »
After talking to a bunch of people and seeing the windshield, decided on ordering a Cal Sci.  I am definitely interested in the "wide" version, but have seen differing opinions on whether or not it interferes with full lock-to-lock steering--a couple members have said it is a problem, a couple have said it isn't.

I have and AST handlebar riser (2" up and 2" back), so am thinking it might not be an issue anyway.

I'm 6'1, 33 inch inseam, thinking either the regular or the wide in XL?  (I ride year long, and would rather have more protection for cold riding than less for warm weather--I can always put it in the lowest position or use the stock screen).

Any opinions would be very much appreciated

I have tried the cal-sci wide from here - it is in the try a windshield for free post.    I have risers that are 2 up and the levers hit the windshield.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=914.0

I wish they did similar things for the different risers, seats and lights.
2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987

Offline Buzzard63

• 2008 C14
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:50:33 AM »
I just installed a Cal Sci XL Tall on my 2008. I had 2" risers on, then removed them. No interference in either case. It is a big screen. I'm over 6' tall, I can get out of the air flow at less than full up. I like to run it at full down when it's hot out, good airflow. At full down, it is more shield than the stocker at full up. In cold weather it will keep my hands out of the air flow, and that's good. I will say that I looked at another riders V Stream shield, liked the looks of it better. But the Cal Sci certainly does the job.
Anything with two wheels and a motor is good.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 11:22:13 AM »
I have a CalSci that I use for Winter. If you want to have some fun with a CalSci I
suggest you set your display to  "Current MPG" and raise the windshield up and down
and watch what happens.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Buzzard63

• 2008 C14
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 01:37:21 PM »
I have a CalSci that I use for Winter. If you want to have some fun with a CalSci I
suggest you set your display to  "Current MPG" and raise the windshield up and down
and watch what happens.
Yes, on my bike, the average mileage went down by 1.5mpg with the shield raised. Of course, with the shield all the way down, it's still more shield than the stock one full up. Anyone with a V Stream have any mileage figures?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 05:18:41 PM »
I just installed a Cal Sci XL Tall on my 2008. I had 2" risers on, then removed them. No interference in either case. It is a big screen. I'm over 6' tall, I can get out of the air flow at less than full up. I like to run it at full down when it's hot out, good airflow. At full down, it is more shield than the stocker at full up.

I don't know about your weather there, but you would BAKE here with that.  I had to cut 5" off the stock 2nd gen windshield to be comfortable in summer.  I can't imagine running the stock shield in anything less than full down in summer.  Ouch.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 04:19:49 AM »
For the 08/09 models, when you operate any screen in full down, you cut off cooling air flowing under the bottom left and right of the screen over the black fairing covers down towards your shins.  It's counter intuitive to do this but it's a fact that I've tested many times on my bike.  You need to leave at least an inch or two from the bottom of the screen for airflow.  I don't know about the 10+ bikes as they're designed a bit slower.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 05:44:44 AM »
For the 08/09 models, when you operate any screen in full down, you cut off cooling air flowing under the bottom left and right of the screen over the black fairing covers down towards your shins.  It's counter intuitive to do this but it's a fact that I've tested many times on my bike.  You need to leave at least an inch or two from the bottom of the screen for airflow.  I don't know about the 10+ bikes as they're designed a bit slower.

I don't think this is the case for the 2nd gen, since the windscreen and other aerodynamics are a little different.  At least, I haven't noticed what you describe... there just never is any airflow to the legs.  That is, until I cut the screen down by 5", then I finally have some airflow.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 09:36:42 AM »
and watch what happens.

Not all CalSci windshields, just the barn door ones. I have a CalSci and mine doesn't make much of a difference up or down. I have the old medium. It is just a bit higher than the original '09 windshield. Anytime you put a huge windshield on a bike you will affect the gas milage.

Offline clogan

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »
I don't know about your weather there, but you would BAKE here with that.  I had to cut 5" off the stock 2nd gen windshield to be comfortable in summer.  I can't imagine running the stock shield in anything less than full down in summer.  Ouch.

I agree 100%!
Plus, with the big Cee Bailey I run in the winter, it's like pushing a refrigerator thru the wind. It affects handling significantly.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline Shoe

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »
............................ Anyone with a V Stream have any mileage figures?

I had a V Stream also and I sold almost immediately. I don't recall the mpg figures. I sold it mainly because it was too tall and vibrated.
I've tried Cee Bailey as well and decided that the stock windscreen is the best for me. I agree that a small gap at the bottom helps cooling.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 10:20:53 AM by Shoe »
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Buzzard63

• 2008 C14
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 08:31:34 PM »
I cut my XL Cal Sci down just a bit, much happier with it. Took off the lower protrusions that nearly hit the mirrors, and tapered it in 3" on each side at the top.

Offline elektradw

• 21st Century Crusade
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 04:16:33 PM »
I have 3 California Scientific windscreens. Tall, X-tall, Xtall / Xwide. The tall was purchased for my 08 which is close to OEM on the 2010 and up, so I dont use that one at all on my 2011. For sale cheap if anyone wants it. I use the Xtall for summer and Xtall/Xwide for winter. I love them both, although I had to send the Xtall/Xwide back to have it trimmed. Seems they modeled it on the 08, which had a different mirror position. My mirrors would hit the bottom corner of the windscreen if pushed forward. A slight adjustment, and a heads up to their mistake, and all is well. Cal Sci trimmed it to my markings and shipped back for free. I never ride with my windscreen in the down position so the Xt/Xw gives me a lot of options for looking over or through. The Xt/Xw gives me a bit more protection in my arms when riding in the cold. I have not noticed any induced gas milage decrease with the windscreen in the up/max position. I do get a lot less buffeting.
'68 Hoda 305 Dream, '76 Triumph Bonneville,  '85 BMW K100, '85 BMW K100 Turbo, '95 HD Heritage, '97 HD Dresser, '99HD Roadking, '01 HD Dynaglide, '08 C14, '11 C14