Author Topic: It's the little things I brag about  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
It's the little things I brag about
« on: October 09, 2011, 03:27:35 PM »
Last night, after my usual night at work, as I was leaving there was a decked out Harley cruiser, with the 'oval' fairing that does a good job of directing the wind around the handlebars (sorry, I'm not a Harley guy, so no idea exactly the model), and a nice blue trunk.  The rider was also suiting up for his ride home.

It was chilly out (about 40 degrees or so), so I immediately noted that the Harley had no wind protection below the waist (i.e. the rider's legs are on their own).  I then looked at my Connie, and appreciated again how good a job Kawasaki had done in directing the wind around one's legs.  Fairing extenders are of course better, but I have skinny legs so the fairing does me fine.

I then hopped on, settled in, adjusted the enricher lever to just the right sweet spot, hit the starter and she caught about immediately, as if she had fuel injection, even though she was cold at that point (I had parked 8 hours earlier).  I'm always amazed how well my Connie starts with the right enricher settings, and even my fuel injected riding buddies are mildly suprised at how quickly she starts at times.

Anyways, I rode away, smiling smugly to myself, the grip heaters kicked in, and about 40 minutes of freeway/backroad commute later, I was home, not really noticing the cold much at all below the helmet.  I left the visor cracked for defogging, so the nose was a bit nippy.

And I of course had a little fun on the way home, zipping up the onramp, swerving to avoid the manholes just because, and again enjoyed my time with my C-10.

I'm assuming the quick start for the Connie is typical for most well cared for bikes?
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
Re: It's the little things I brag about
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »
That's the way mine starts.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 04:20:52 PM »
Honda's tend to be cold hearted for starting. The Connie surprised me in the eager to start category coming from a FI bike.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:27:12 PM »
I've not ridden for about a month because of some surgery, but once a week, I've started the Connie on the center stand and run her to operating temperature. Half prime and dead cold, but about two turns of the starter & VROOM!! Now that's a big sounding image in our garage. I LOVE IT!

I had a couple of Hondas years ago and now that you mention it, one was a little cold natured. Both were carburated.  The newer one, a '78 Hawk I (400 cc) only had a kick startery and once in a while to show off for the girls, I'd start it by pushing the kick lever through the start cycle with my hand to start it. Don't know if it impressed them or not!  But it usually started on one or two revs. That machine was the first one they did that had a 10,000 rpm redline.

2014 C-14 Red

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 05:34:52 PM »
Yep.   :)
Rie safe all, and ATGATT please.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 06:40:19 PM »
In many ways, the Concours is better than it has to be. The only time I had starting problems with the Concours was my own fault, the ignition system had deteriorated with corrosion on the high voltage connections, and it was a little sluggish. Once that was corrected, it's always started up like a charm.

FYI, the EX250 also starts well, although it does take longer to warm up.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Silver Connie

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 07:27:14 PM »
mine has never been a quick start in cold weather. youre lucky.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 08:10:07 PM »
The newer one, a '78 Hawk I (400 cc) only had a kick startery and once in a while to show off for the girls, I'd start it by pushing the kick lever through the start cycle with my hand to start it. Don't know if it impressed them or not!  But it usually started on one or two revs.

State tune & state of mind..... My 72 HONDA CB750 acquired in 83 once tuned my way was when warm a one kick or should I say HAND wonder; that bike would start without fail with no more than a hand crank....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline TXIN

• H-Minus
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 08:12:05 PM »
I'm at stay at home dad, and my youngest is only 10 weeks old, so for about the last ten weeks, I only get to ride mine once every two to three weeks. I got to ride two weekends in a row these last two weekends and counted myself lucky. Mine starts up first shot as long as I put that magic lever right in the middle.
Squeee!

Offline soyjim

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »
In many ways, the Concours is better than it has to be.

I agree. My bike starts well when cold. I think it maybe due to the carb cleaning I had done after buying the bike used. The carbs may have been OK but they were out to have overflow tubes put on.

I am really just getting comfortable with being back into cycling.   Yesterday I had a hummer blow past me, so I throttled up in sixth gear. In no time I was passing the hummer. when I looked at the speedometer I was showing 100, I think. Thats when I got scared. I have never before gone over 85 on a bike. I don't think I had it wide open. That was fun. It was stupid. Will I "doditt" again?

Normally I am happy just puttering around under 6000 rpm. Usually under 5000.

What a bike! The 2001 blue must be the fastest.

legal rejoinder  "This story is just a big fish exageration and I was in legal speeds at all times. It didn't really happen"

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 03:06:02 AM »

I agree. My bike starts well when cold. I think it maybe due to the carb cleaning I had done after buying the bike used. The carbs may have been OK but they were out to have overflow tubes put on.

I am really just getting comfortable with being back into cycling.   Yesterday I had a hummer blow past me, so I throttled up in sixth gear. In no time I was passing the hummer. when I looked at the speedometer I was showing 100, I think. Thats when I got scared. I have never before gone over 85 on a bike. I don't think I had it wide open. That was fun. It was stupid. Will I "doditt" again?

Normally I am happy just puttering around under 6000 rpm. Usually under 5000.

What a bike! The 2001 blue must be the fastest.

legal rejoinder  "This story is just a big fish exageration and I was in legal speeds at all times. It didn't really happen"

Yeah, it always weirds me out when I notice that 90+ MPH feels comfortable on a Connie.  Not that I spend much time at all at that speed, but she's a smooth ride at those speeds.  75-85 is no big deal at all, and she doesn't complain at all at that speed.  I find myself having to keep a keen eye on the speedo, as my throttle hand tends to 'creep open'...

Once it drops around/below freezing, starting becomes a little more difficult, again where the magic enricher lever is placed seems to make the difference, and it isn't always exactly the same spot.  Even in single digit (F) temps, I've managed to get her started, although my starter clutch tended to slip at those temps, requiring just the right setting to get her to catch before the clutch slipped.  That problem went away once temps got warmer, but I may have to deal with that one down the road.

That's OK though.  After my spill last January, I'm now a firm believer in the no riding in freezing temps camp.  At least not without those cool studded tires I'll probably never buy...

While I wouldn't mind a lighter bike (assuming I could find one with a similar fairing), I'm quite happy with my Connie, and will probably get another one if I can find it once this one gets too long in the tooth.  Or go the C-14 route, although the fancy electronic displays don't impress me.  I'm quite happy with my analog gauges.

45,500 happy miles and counting...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.