Author Topic: Antifreeze leak-posted too early  (Read 1461 times)

Offline soyjim

Antifreeze leak-posted too early
« on: October 09, 2011, 04:47:41 PM »
modified post - Will update when I have a better idea of whats going on. If I knew how I think I would take this post out. Sorry to have bothered the experts before I knew what was going on.

I am pretty sure the moisture is antifreeze. The puddle formed is just about under the coolant system over flow resovoir. This has been a pretty dry fall. I noticed the puddle some time after I rode on some wet roads, sporadically after that. Today  after I looked at the over flow tank it is getting more regular. I had the coolant hoses changed this summer. I will have to take the side panels off to see where it is coming from. Oh boy.

I usually park the bike on the sidestand in the carport.

The the coolant overflow tank is pretty full. I probably should change the oil before it gets too cool, so will have to take the belly pan off.

Not much  sense trying to diagnose the problem until I  can take the panel off and look around.

I really thought the occasional moisture was just water. It seemed to evaporate up pretty clean. guess it was wishful thinking.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:44:44 PM by soyjim »

Offline billhook

• Arena
Re: Antifreeze leak-posted too early
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 08:42:34 AM »
If you had the coolant hoses replaced this summer, I would bet that the clamps have probably loosened.  Well, they haven't loosened, the rubber of the hoses has settled into it's new compressed form under the clamps.  It seems to be a "normal" occurence that new hoses leak upon cold start up, and sometimes just sitting, a few weeks after new hoses get installed.  After warm up, the rubber expands and re-seals.  Giving the clamps a one-time, tightening up (I use a nut driver or a small 1/4" ratchet, instead of a screwdriver to get  a little extra twist on the clamps) usually solves the leaking issue for good.