Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 730138 times)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2040 on: June 22, 2015, 07:31:10 PM »
 :rotflmao:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2041 on: June 23, 2015, 04:05:34 AM »
Ahhh, pleading the for a fifth?

FIFY....   Always.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2042 on: June 23, 2015, 07:36:49 AM »
You had a sinkhole under your beer glass, Jim?

Stomach?

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #2043 on: June 23, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »
I don't think so but who knows? We have a basement and as far as I can tell there are no cracks in the walls. The broken picture window has double hung windows on either side of it and they both open and close just fine, no binding at all.

I'm thinking that maybe a rock was thrown up by the neighbor's lawnmower (he mowed the day before, delayed breakage?) or maybe a car caught a rock just right and sent it into the window? No rocks on the porch though...

I called the window company this morning and the replacement glass pack has been ordered, so she said...

We had one of ours go like that - the dealer (who replaced it under warranty) suggested that perhaps the nitrogen "filling" wasn't pure nitrogen (due to contamination or something) and may have been something with a much greater expansion rate - it was a really hot day when it happened.

Sounds dodgy, but possible, I guess...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2044 on: June 23, 2015, 01:12:44 PM »
It would not matter if the nitrogen was contaminate by another gas(s) due to the ideal gas law. In other words, all gasses expand equally so the mix is not important.

If it were something like water inside the sealed window, that would be very different and the gas pressure from water vapor would go up with temperature. Still, if the pressure inside the window or door were high enough to actually blow out the tempered glass, I would think it would sort of 'explode' rather than just crazing..... ? Unless the pressure on the glass was pushing it against something like a grain of sand or similar- then it would amount to a high pressure point loading and tempered glass almost never chips, it crazes across the entire pane instead.

Brian

We had one of ours go like that - the dealer (who replaced it under warranty) suggested that perhaps the nitrogen "filling" wasn't pure nitrogen (due to contamination or something) and may have been something with a much greater expansion rate - it was a really hot day when it happened.

Jamie
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2045 on: June 24, 2015, 04:48:10 AM »

Jamie

Not that it matters (as Brian explained above) but the gas inside the two panes of these windows is Argon. Last year we had several of the double hung windows replaced under warranty because the seal between the two panes of glass failed and allowed 'something' to fog the glass between the two panes. The picture window that broke did not get replaced and it did not have anything visible between the two panes.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2046 on: June 24, 2015, 05:46:11 AM »
Argon.  I like that word.  Has a good ring to it.  Let's make it the word of the day.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #2047 on: June 24, 2015, 07:49:49 AM »
Argon.  I like that word.  Has a good ring to it.  Let's make it the word of the day.

All my friends "are gone".
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2048 on: June 24, 2015, 08:34:20 AM »

When I finish my breakfast, all my biscuits "argon".

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2049 on: June 24, 2015, 10:03:39 AM »
What's not to like?  Argon keeps on going..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2050 on: June 24, 2015, 10:19:33 AM »

:thumbs:

Not spelled the same but...

Argonne National Laboratory http://www.anl.gov/

I did some work for them back in the day.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #2051 on: June 24, 2015, 10:51:14 AM »

There are better uses for Argon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-9_Sidewinder

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2052 on: June 25, 2015, 10:33:48 AM »

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2053 on: June 25, 2015, 04:51:58 PM »
Probably because Argon is heavier than air and will tend to settle inside the window channel rather than trying to escape upward. Bigger particle size too, which makes it much less likely to leak- compare this with helium, which will find leaks that no other material can flow though (other than <maybe> hydrogen>).

Argon- one of the noble gasses. It used to be an inert gas as well until 'some idiot found a way to get it to react with fluorine and hydrogen at ridiculously low temperature followed by irradiating it....' as a college professor once said. But for most of us mere mortals, it really IS inert.... mostly all the time.   :rotflmao:

Brian

Not that it matters (as Brian explained above) but the gas inside the two panes of these windows is Argon. Last year we had several of the double hung windows replaced under warranty because the seal between the two panes of glass failed and allowed 'something' to fog the glass between the two panes. The picture window that broke did not get replaced and it did not have anything visible between the two panes.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2054 on: June 25, 2015, 05:00:58 PM »
Yep, neat word- from the Greek 'a' meaning 'without' and 'ergon', meaning 'work'. This transitions to the word 'argos' (also Greek), meaning 'idle'. It is an idle material because it will not interact or form any bonds with any other element; we use the word inert to describe it in English.

Tomorrow's word should be 'lead' (as in lead pipe) and why it got the chemical symbol Pb..... It is from the Latin word "plumbum", which means liquid silver. It sort of does look like silver when it melts too, unlike silver which does not look like silver at all when molten. Anyway, I think it is an interesting thing that the first big use for lead was to make plumbing..... which is why people who work on plumbing are still called plumbers, meaning he / she who works with lead (plumbum) even though the lead is long- gone from.... well, plumbing. All the time, at least mostly.  ;D
Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2055 on: June 25, 2015, 05:34:42 PM »
Lead is so uninteresting...how about plumbum for tomorrow's word?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2056 on: June 25, 2015, 05:56:36 PM »
Liar! Liar I say!!!  ;) ;D

Lead is fascinating, especially when watching a plumber pour a lead joint or make a wiped lead seam. Also pretty interesting to watch a combination man (or woman) use lead, a set of wooden paddles, beeswax and a torch to fill in low spots (read: dents) on auto body panels. Spray lead (!!!) is even more fascinating but I cannot even imagine the blood / lead level of a person doing THAT (shooting a stream of molten lead out of a gun with compressed air to stick to a car's body panel). All of this is in the great olden' days of course but still.... pretty cool methinks.

Most things are fascinating if one merely puts in the effort to actually look at them rather than letting them slip by....  ;)

Brian

Lead is so uninteresting...how about plumbum for tomorrow's word?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2057 on: June 26, 2015, 05:33:04 AM »
I took my middle grandson to see his first major league baseball game yesterday. Cubs vs. Dodgers.

The game was great fun, even though the Cubs got shut out.

I was reminded why I hate driving in the city, the traffic sucked!!! It took us twice as long to get home as it should have. Bumper to bumper in stop and go for nearly an hour and a half on the 290.  :banghead:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2058 on: June 26, 2015, 06:01:36 AM »
It's good you're teaching the grandson that winning isn't everything. There's always next year.  ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2059 on: June 26, 2015, 06:36:42 AM »
It's good you're teaching the grandson that winning isn't everything. There's always next year.  ;D

I think that I taught him a few new words too after driving in that :censored: traffic!