Author Topic: A couple of questions, temp guage/oil light.  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Ron Moss

A couple of questions, temp guage/oil light.
« on: May 18, 2012, 10:16:47 AM »
I have had a couple of things pop up that are a puzzle. 1st, my temp gauge works but just barely. The fan switch works just fine, fan comes on just fine when in traffic,etc. It worked just fine the first 40000 miles, going almost half way up on the gauge in normal riding.
2nd, At my last oil change about a week ago my oil light has started not always lighting up when the key is turned on, ( engine not running, bulb check) The only change was the oil and filter change. Is it possible the filter could somehow effect the light.? The filter is a Fram tough guard which I don't like but that was all they had that would fit at the time and I was in a hurry.
(I have Dan's filter adapter and use Rotella syn 5W40 )
Any thoughts??   

Offline Summit670

Re: A couple of questions, temp guage/oil light.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 11:42:10 PM »
Temp - is fan kicking on too soon or running all the time?  Thermostat probably stuck open is my guess, especially if it has never been changed.

Oil light - I don't know but I doubt the fram filter has anything to do with it.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Ron Moss

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 08:07:24 AM »
Temp - is fan kicking on too soon or running all the time?  Thermostat probably stuck open is my guess, especially if it has never been changed.

Oil light - I don't know but I doubt the fram filter has anything to do with it.
Fan runs as it should, comes on when in traffic etc.  Will check out the thermostat.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 08:16:38 AM »
If the fan seems to be coming on/off as it should then it is not likely that you have a T-Stat issue. I would look at the temp sender that is located on the T-Stat housing. It has a single wire hook up that is known to get loose where the male spade is riveted to the sender. If found loose if your careful you can tighten it up with a couple light taps from a hammer and punch. BTW your fan switch in on the left back side of the rad and has nothing to do with the temp gauge.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010