Author Topic: TC-W3 dosage  (Read 11043 times)

Offline julianop

TC-W3 dosage
« on: December 06, 2012, 10:08:52 PM »
For those who swear by it, what's the recommended dose of TC-W3 per tank full ??
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: TC-W3 dosage
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 04:54:04 AM »
Better make it stronger than 50:1. Why? That's what's in yer weed eater, right? How does it start in the spring?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:24:00 AM »
I run 2 oz / tank. If a bike is gonna sit a good long time, maybe double it, but that's alot.  I will say this - my bikes sit in a steel building in the summer in Florida, and don't get ridden much during the summer. Ethanol evaporates at an alarming rate, and in just a day or 2 I would need to use  prime to refill the bowls. On the voyager it goes from insta-start to cranking forever to fill the carbs (fuel pump). Pre tcw-3 I was having carb issues. i actually had to pull shoodabens carbs after a 6 week layoff because the pilots were clogged hopelessly. Since the tcw-3 I have has ZERO issues. I know older guys used Marvel Mystery oil the same way, and tout the same advantages. JMO, Steve

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:31:53 AM »
2 oz. per tank kept my connie starting and running fine. Backin Steve up on this one as I had the same experience with my bike.
2004 C10 RIP

Offline julianop

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 06:40:06 AM »
Thanks chaps. I've been through one bottle at about that 2oz/tank dose, and have just bought a second bottle. My bike doesn't sit much more than a week, and I'll ride through the winter as much as I can, but I am virtually convinced it helps anyway...

Seems to me it helps to lube the carb slides, making roll-ons and roll-offs between 2000 and 3000 smoother. Could I be right, do you suppose, or is it my imagination and wishful thinking?
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:23:20 AM »
Seems to me it helps to lube the carb slides, making roll-ons and roll-offs between 2000 and 3000 smoother. Could I be right, do you suppose, or is it my imagination and wishful thinking?

I can't offer any real proof, but I agree that I think it helps. It certainly doesn't hurt them.
I rode year round here in arkansas and never had more than a week or two in the winter that it sat. But with todays crap they sell for gas, that was enough time to cause a problem if I didn"t have the oil added. And in the summer heat it took less than a week.
2004 C10 RIP

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 08:06:05 AM »
So why do chain saws and weed eaters have problems?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline julianop

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 08:38:42 AM »

Poor design, probably. The carburetors in those things are hardly top grade designs, and the slightest imperfection would be likely to cause problems.

Just my expressly uneducated opinion.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 08:53:32 AM »

I don't do chain saws and weed eaters - to lazy, I pay someone - but I've been using tcw3 for a few years in my pressure washer, and it has looong sits. never fails to start and runs like a champ. I have to admit though, it's a honda  :rotflmao:  Steve

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 09:09:26 AM »

I'm not having any issues with the weedeater or lawn mower I use it in.  ;D
2004 C10 RIP

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Or maybe the carbs in the weed-whackers and saws are better designs than motorcycles. - ??

I have a Sindawa 25 brush cutter, 2 Stihl saws (029 and 170), cheap-a$$ MTD lawnmower, and Generac 3.5K generator.  Except for the mower, all are 18 years old and all start with two or three pulls of the string even after sitting all winter.  The fuel in the Generac is from 1996, sitting in a damp cold basement and it starts and runs just fine.  I don't use tcw-3, but I do use Stabil in the Generac, the Connie and the Wee-Strom.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 04:00:25 PM »
I'm intrigued by all this.  I use Stabil and have had no problems in the snowblower, weed eater, street bikes, dirt bikes, pressure washer, lawn mower, atvs.  It'd be cheaper and more convenient for me to throw in a few ounces of 2 stroke oil, but does it have to be TCWIII specifically or will Castol Actevo Snow 2T 2cycle oil for snowmobiles work?

Another question - I wonder why Toro sells their 2 cycle oil with "fuel stabilizer added"?
http://www.lifeandhome.com/toro-snow-oil.html?gclid=CMbqsrSwibQCFao7MgodwSgAbA

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 04:59:16 PM »
Stihl advertises an ethanol free gas/oil mix on their web site for sale.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 07:53:12 PM »
Poor design, probably. The carburetors in those things are hardly top grade designs, and the slightest imperfection would be likely to cause problems.

Just my expressly uneducated opinion.
No wonder, carbs made by harley could never be top grade.

Offline gruff54

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 05:12:18 AM »
Stihl advertises an ethanol free gas/oil mix on their web site for sale.

Just about all the small engine shops around here sell pre-mixed fuel and highly recommend it. They say the majority of their work is carb work. Co-worker swears by it, says it has a long shelf life.
Mike

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 08:43:19 AM »
Just about all the small engine shops around here sell pre-mixed fuel and highly recommend it. They say the majority of their work is carb work. Co-worker swears by it, says it has a long shelf life.
I asked the guy that runs the small engine shop (teaching inmates how to fix and rebuild them) at my prison a few questions earlier this year.  He suggested using premium gas.  (Ethanol free not available anywhere near here.  And how much more does the premium really cost in the amounts you use in small engines?)  But he said that even the premium gas here in NY wasn't great.

I had asked him about my line trimmer, which wouldn't run, except on half choke.  Even when new.  He said that the EPA settings (unadjustable) on the carbs, and the crappy NY ethanol gas both contributed to it.  The solution:  Keep running it on half choke.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Bob Young

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »
TC-W3? Brand name or ????? I guess it's a fuel stabilizer, right? Been using Sta-bil; any advantages to TC-W3?

Thanks,
Bob Young

Offline The Other Brian

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 11:23:57 AM »
TC-W3? Brand name or ????? I guess it's a fuel stabilizer, right? Been using Sta-bil; any advantages to TC-W3?

Thanks,

Two Cycle Outboard Motor Oil
Coon Rapids MN
2010 FJR 1300

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »

Thanks,
It is a specific rating/specification for two-stroke oil.

http://www.nmma.org/certification/certification/oil/tc-w3.aspx

"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »
I use Lucas TCW3 and put a cap full in every time I remember that I just filled up...around home, anyway...
'02 C-10