Author Topic: ZX14 dash?  (Read 5620 times)

Offline BigEdPVD

ZX14 dash?
« on: July 13, 2016, 08:59:00 AM »
Curiosity question, has anyone swapped in a ZX14 gauge cluster into a Concours?  I have a 2009, and I like the white gauge faces better, and was wondering if anyone has tried it?
"You've seen it, you've HEARD it, and you're still asking questions?!?"
"Yeah, when do we go for a RIDE!?!?"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: ZX14 dash?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 03:24:17 PM »
I have never seen a post about that.

Considering most of the two bikes are either identical or extremely similar (the dash included) it wouldn't surprise me if it worked.  But there are features on the Concours that the ZX14 simply doesn't have.... for example, TPS.  I can't name all the differences.  I don't know how that might affect compatibility.  So it also wouldn't surprise me if it didn't work :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline chap

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 03:38:29 PM »
Why don't you just get a set of custom printed faceplates. You could even get a custom text put on them. Would be easier than trying to get a different cluster to work. But it could be an interesting experiment.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »
Why don't you just get a set of custom printed faceplates.

Interesting idea- of course you would have to remove the needles, somehow, to get them on there (I assume).  Never done something like that before, but it seems like delicate work.  I imagine the faceplates would have to be printed on mylar, plastic, or metal or something to prevent them from fading/yellowing/cracking/failing.  Tricky
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 04:27:00 AM »
I seem to recall that someone did something like that in the past.  I did a very quick rudimentary search via Google and came up with nothing, though.  If the face is similar to the ZX-14, you may be able to come up with a kit that can interchange.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 05:29:56 AM »
I seem to recall that someone did something like that in the past.  I did a very quick rudimentary search via Google and came up with nothing, though.  If the face is similar to the ZX-14, you may be able to come up with a kit that can interchange.

I believe the face is identical.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 05:39:29 AM »

Offline muguvian

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 06:21:16 AM »
The needles pop right off the stepper motor shafts by levering with a pair of spoons.  Just make sure you mark the initial point on a piece of tape that doesn't move during the face swap and also don't disturb the shaft before you get the needles back on.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 03:48:18 PM »
http://www.bluegauges.com/motorcycle/kawasaki_zx14_06.htm

Those are backlight options, not replacement faces.  Unless I missed something.  But there ARE links on that site to one brand of replacement face plates:

http://www.bluegauges.com/images/indiglo/kawasaki/830_831_day.jpg
http://www.bluegauges.com/images/indiglo/kawasaki/1084-2.jpg
http://www.bluegauges.com/images/indiglo/kawasaki/1083-2.jpg

Of more interest, note how absolutely identical the entire 2006-2011 ZX-14 dash is to the C14, except the dial faces being white....  and except what is actually being shown on the dash LCD (we do not have a combined trip meter on the screen at once), which is what I was talking about when I said we have more features, so what appears in the LCD might be different (and that could all just be programming but using an identical display panel).

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 11:35:40 PM »
a bit  :offtopic: I know, but I just noticed looking at the clocks shown by Maxtog, that they read up to 340Km/H.

Here is the RSA the display only shows to 280Km/H, and the indicators stops at 300Km/H. Rumour has it that they are not allowed to show/are limited to 300Km/H here in SA. Don't know how true that is, but there are always way and means of crossing the limitations of that 300Km/H limit.

I had the ZX12 which had it's ECU flashed in the states, and man that bike moved. ZX14 that followed the 12 could not keep up, but I didn't have the money to spend on having that ECU flashed as well.

Now that I have the Connie, I have the bike I always wanted....the ultimate sports tourer... :chugbeer: :chugbeer:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 01:41:07 AM »
a bit  :offtopic: I know, but I just noticed looking at the clocks shown by Maxtog, that they read up to 340Km/H.

Here in the RSA the display only shows to 280Km/H, and the indicators stops at 300Km/H. Rumour has it that they are not allowed to show/are limited to 300Km/H here in SA. Don't know how true that is, but there are always way and means of crossing the limitations of that 300Km/H limit.

That is not uncommon for certain countries to require a speedometer show only a certain maximum speed and/or be speed limited to XXX.  In the USA, the ZX14 and C14 both read and label 180MPH maximum and have a hash mark for 300Km/H but only print numbers up to 280 for Km/H (which does seem odd).  So it doesn't seem yours is any different.