Author Topic: ZX14 Lowering Links  (Read 7729 times)

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
ZX14 Lowering Links
« on: August 22, 2014, 10:35:24 AM »
So if I buy ZX14 Stock Links to lower my C14 it should work?   Do I use the same year ZX14?
Just lowered mine in the rear , front is next on the list..

I little trick I found is I used my stock links off my ZX14R .. They bolt right up and clear the center stand ... The ZX14R links are about and inch longer than the C14 .. Since most ZX14 guys lower there bikes they just toss out the factory links , you should be able to pick up a set cheaper than Muzzys or other brands ...
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: ZX14 Lowering Links
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 05:16:59 PM »
So if I buy ZX14 Stock Links to lower my C14 it should work?   Do I use the same year ZX14?

You can buy links that are specifically for the C14:  http://www.muzzys.com/concours14/concours14_links/  Note they lower the bike exactly 1 inch, not the incorrectly claimed 1.5" (which would probably be too low, anyway).  Of course, they are more expensive than trying to use a ZX toss-off (if you can even find any).  But the price of the Muzzy links are cheap compared when you then realize you must replace the kickstand also.

See:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:07:24 PM »
....  Of course, they are more expensive than trying to use a ZX toss-off (if you can even find any).  ...
See:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0
Ebay has a few of them for $19.00 a set.
Anyway for the facts - I got a message from the person who did use them and they lower the bike 2 to 2.5", not what I'm looking for.
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 11:54:54 PM »
Ebay has a few of them for $19.00 a set.

I searched before posting and noticed it was very difficult to determine/trust [in the ones I saw] if the links were stock or not.  Seems risky.

I got a message from the person who did use them and they lower the bike 2 to 2.5", not what I'm looking for.

That would be way, waaaaaay too low!  I don't think anything lower than 1" (MAYBE 1.25" if there is not much sag) is going to be safe.  I wish it weren't so, since I could really use it being even lower.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

sailor_chic

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 06:05:42 AM »
I'm going to find out.  I bought a set on eBay for $18. Figured it was worth the gamble.

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 08:38:37 AM »
Okay - Keep us posted. Thanks.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:28:01 PM »
I'm going to find out.  I bought a set on eBay for $18. Figured it was worth the gamble.

My advice is to carefully measure the bike clearance before and after.  Make sure it is not dropping anything more than 1".   If it does, you are in great danger of bottoming out and/or hitting something, and might also place excessive stress on the rear differential.

Also, remember to lower the front of the bike by the same amount (by dropping the head on the fork tubes).

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 10:15:13 AM »

My question is why are some of you taking so much interest in lowering the bike? Are those that are thinking about or have lowered the bike doing so because of being vertically challenged and wanting to be able to flat foot the bike or is there some other advantage?  I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam and can flat foot the bike easily but my interest would be if there is some other advantage to lowering the bike. Does lowering the bike lower the center of gravity and make the bike seem less high centered and more easily handled in parking lot situations?   I do know that sometimes I feel like I am sitting on the bike rather than in the bike and just wondered if lowering the bike will make it even more responsive to handle. Inquiring minds want to know.

Fork

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 02:40:44 PM »
I think it's all about being inseam challenged........or not.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 02:55:14 PM »
My question is why are some of you taking so much interest in lowering the bike?

Not everyone has a 32+ inseam.  Mine is 27 or so.  Lowering the seat an inch, the bike an inch and raising my boots two inches results in an apparent inseam of 31, making it just possible to handle the bike (I can put one foot flat down without leaning too much, or both almost flat down if I stretch and strain).

would be if there is some other advantage to lowering the bike.

No, not really.  Lowering is never recommended because it will change the ride clearance negatively, reduce available suspension travel,  possibly hurt overall handling aspects, put extra strain on certain components (like the differential), and make the center stand difficult (or in some cases impossible) to use.  It should only be done when really necessary.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 05:21:55 PM by maxtog »

Offline Cuda

Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 08:58:32 AM »
Max have you ever tried hanging up side down in a pair of inversion boots? ;D

I don't think that will help much, except for stretching the spine (our spines tend to collapse as we get older, unfortunately).  Yeesh that looks painful.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 12:10:24 PM »
A lot of lowering links will not work with the Center Stand, that is why Max recommended a good option.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 05:19:40 PM »
A lot of lowering links will not work with the Center Stand, that is why Max recommended a good option.

I think the biggest issue are with the more complex adjustable links.  They have more hardware and are thicker, so they interfere with the center stand.  Adjustability is nice, but I know I didn't want to lose the ability to use the center stand (even though it is a b**** to use when the bike is lowered).

Offline blackwidow

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 10:37:12 AM »
My Projekt D lowering kit is for sale in the sale section , drop the bike is 1x inch and my ajustable side stand is for sale too , you still can use the center stand with this kit but it's less easy to do it.