Author Topic: Rear Brake/ABS Pump issue  (Read 52436 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Rear Brake/ABS Pump issue
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »
I took ABS "module" out, air line blow thru inlets,  put back together, easy bleed (front brakes 1st)  then back.
100% working good again..

Did you see any crap come out?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline feelergaugephil

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2016, 10:08:17 PM »
Yes, a little trash, The ABS module will only blow (air line) one way, put it all back together and rode 20 miles, stomping on brakes, ABS works fine, no codes, no light on.
Its now at the dealers (show room floor) awaiting a new owner, while I save till March for a 2013/14 Connie.
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue

Offline Freddy

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2016, 11:08:14 PM »
Perhaps you applied compressed air to the outlet ports rather than the inlet ports, causing the valves to return to their correct position. 

Yet an interesting and simple fix that could be done without removing the unit, though probably temporary - but who cares if it's up for sale.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline feelergaugephil

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2016, 04:44:18 PM »
Sold..... Cmon March....... 8)
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue

Offline WolfPack Rider

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2017, 07:31:41 PM »
Another example of rear abs failure. My 09 has 12k miles and the dealer says the abs unit is bad. They called Kawasaki and it took them less than a minute to agree. The rear brake is frozen in a hydrostatic lock. They want $1600 to replace part and bleed whole system. Kawasaki won't help cover any of the cost. I've searched for salvage parts and can't find any. I can't afford that much for a repair. I've been a proud owner of Kawasaki bikes my whole life but this type and expense of repair might make it my last. In fact, $1600 repair bills is the reason I didn't get a bmw. I'm desperate for any help you guys can provide. Thanks!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2017, 04:33:52 AM »
Another example of rear abs failure. My 09 has 12k miles and the dealer says the abs unit is bad. They called Kawasaki and it took them less than a minute to agree. The rear brake is frozen in a hydrostatic lock. They want $1600 to replace part and bleed whole system. Kawasaki won't help cover any of the cost. I've searched for salvage parts and can't find any. I can't afford that much for a repair. I've been a proud owner of Kawasaki bikes my whole life but this type and expense of repair might make it my last. In fact, $1600 repair bills is the reason I didn't get a bmw. I'm desperate for any help you guys can provide. Thanks!

What's the maintenance history on this bike as far as brake fluid replacement?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2017, 05:41:23 AM »
What's the maintenance history on this bike as far as brake fluid replacement?

I can't hear you......
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2017, 06:23:59 AM »

Such a low mileage bike......theorizing low rear brake usage and little or none flushing the brake system.  The ABS unit is crudded up..   Alternatively one could try what Phil did or one may want to call these folks...  https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/

I take it there's no extended warranty in which case Kawasaki isn't going to cover it.  I don't blame Kawasaki for that.  I still have the extended warranty on mine.  Why on earth would you be upset at Kawasaki?  I just checked mine and I'm good into 2019..

If anyone wants to extend their warranty, I suggest you do so..  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0  Still a very good deal considering the price of fixing and parts.

So every year, flush out the brake fluid (I only use Kwackers brand) and invoke the ABS on the rear. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:11:50 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2017, 11:32:06 AM »

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2017, 03:31:56 PM »
Such a low mileage bike......theorizing low rear brake usage and little or none flushing the brake system.  The ABS unit is crudded up..

Good speculation.  On the gen 1, the brakes were not linked and quite a few people (myself included) rarely, if ever, even use rear brake pedal.  On gen 2, you are forced to use the rear whether you want to or not (due to the linking).

...So every year, flush out the brake fluid

Ug!!!  :)  Bad Max

and invoke the ABS on the rear.

Amazingly, I am not sure I have ever triggered the ABS.  It is also on my to-do list.  I certainly have in my cars.  There is just something so much more scary about doing it on the bike.

Even traction control is a very rare event.... and yet it just started doing that to me a few weeks ago on some spirited take-offs.  It was cold and my tires are worn out.  I am guessing that as I have worn through most of the regular tread, the remaining portion is harder than normal.  Yes, it is on the never-ending list, too...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline WolfPack Rider

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2017, 08:18:16 PM »
I called and got the final word from Kawasaki. They said they were unaware of any systemic issues with that part and would not assist with the replacement. PO was very meticulous with the bike, all service records are up to date and bike has numerous creature comforts. This guy loved it, as do I.  The bike is four years out of warranty. I've owned the bike almost two years so I was planning to do a brake and clutch fluid flush, even though the pads and fluids are still look good. I'm in Alabama I would ride the bike anywhere and prior to this incident I would have said bike and maintenance were near perfect.

im sure takata airbags were fine too until the Feds made them replace all of the inflators...too many people on various forums are having this same abs issue for this to be a fluke.

As far as getting this fixed, can anyone provide a tutorial for removing the part?

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2017, 09:44:46 PM »
After reading this and other threads I bled the lines.  It has been a few years since I installed the SS lines. I was expecting the fluid to be non clear or beige but it was clean and clear. I went through a big bottle just be sure I cleared anything that might be in ABS -nothing just clean clear fluid =mine is a 2008.
Then I drove it around the yard on grass - I felt the ABS pump working when I tried to lock the front and then the rear. Nothing scary or upsetting happened.
 I will run the pump more often and keep my eye out for a used one just to have.
Thanks
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2017, 11:17:34 PM »
I called and got the final word from Kawasaki. They said they were unaware of any systemic issues with that part and would not assist with the replacement. PO was very meticulous with the bike, all service records are up to date and bike has numerous creature comforts. This guy loved it, as do I.  The bike is four years out of warranty. I've owned the bike almost two years so I was planning to do a brake and clutch fluid flush, even though the pads and fluids are still look good. I'm in Alabama I would ride the bike anywhere and prior to this incident I would have said bike and maintenance were near perfect.

im sure takata airbags were fine too until the Feds made them replace all of the inflators...too many people on various forums are having this same abs issue for this to be a fluke.

As far as getting this fixed, can anyone provide a tutorial for removing the part?

Well, call the person you spoke to, and have them come here, on this forum, and see how many have "popped up" just out of warranty... and also tell them most of us meticulously maintain systems, and DO have a clue how to do so... and we will create a thread just for Kaw, with everyone that has experienced this syndrome...
Who ever was on that phone is full of b/s, and sounds like the old run around people got for every single issue we have documented repeatedly that needed correction....

Maybe its about time to get the C14 Technical Editor to step up, and do something.... anything, anything at all, even respond to the issue... and earn his position within COG as an officer, by TAKING THIS TO KAW AND ASKING WHAT THEY ARE PLANNING TO DO TO KEEP OUR LEVEL OF FAITH, IN THE BIKE...

or, maybe not.... but that's what I would/have done in the past....
Its getting a bit rediculous...when the answers and help on the COG forum are not coming from the person appointed to do so.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Freddy

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2017, 12:34:22 AM »
I called and got the final word from Kawasaki. They said they were unaware of any systemic issues with that part and would not assist with the replacement.

Below is a link to our Australian forum discussing the same issue.  It seems Kawasaki has now decided to clam-up and deny knowledge.   See post 77 and a few of the posts before and after.  The price of the part here is $2440 plus tax. 

http://gtr1000.yuku.com/topic/6620/Hard-Rear-Brake-Pedal?page=4#.WMje5We1tzA

Offline Conrad

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2017, 04:45:02 AM »
Below is a link to our Australian forum discussing the same issue.  It seems Kawasaki has now decided to clam-up and deny knowledge.   See post 77 and a few of the posts before and after.  The price of the part here is $2440 plus tax. 

http://gtr1000.yuku.com/topic/6620/Hard-Rear-Brake-Pedal?page=4#.WMje5We1tzA

From the above post.

"There was a delay in delivery of a correct replacement to Victor Motorcycles as the first one sent was apparently for the 2009 model which I was told is not suitable for the 2008 model.  (Victor Motorcycles did say this was probably their error in the order rather than Kawasaki.) Could be that the problem may be limited to the 2008 model like mine but I have not tried to confirm that one way or the other."

Interesting that they're saying that there's a difference between the '08 and '09 ABS pumps. I find that hard to believe.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2017, 05:59:27 AM »
Don't know about over there but 2008/2009 part numbers are the same here.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2017, 06:28:33 AM »
From the above post.

"There was a delay in delivery of a correct replacement to Victor Motorcycles as the first one sent was apparently for the 2009 model which I was told is not suitable for the 2008 model.  (Victor Motorcycles did say this was probably their error in the order rather than Kawasaki.) Could be that the problem may be limited to the 2008 model like mine but I have not tried to confirm that one way or the other."

Interesting that they're saying that there's a difference between the '08 and '09 ABS pumps. I find that hard to believe.

Typical dealer ignorance, BS, hopelessness & frustration.  I linked to the correct info (parts fiche) in the next post in that thread.  Same/same as Jim says.

The more important point is that Kaw Aust is also now saying they nothing of this failure.  I also pointed out that this is untrue.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2017, 06:39:01 AM »
ABS pumps 'fail'.  They can fail on whatever vehicle they're in.  Doesn't make any difference if it's a car or a bike.  Connectors can corrode, circuit boards can crack and solder connections can fail.  One of the first things to ask is that can you bleed the rear brakes?  What are the symptoms other than the light is on?  Have you checked the sensors on the wheels?  Are the rear brakes even working?  Did this happen after some other maintenance was performed?  Did it happen out of blue?

Offline Freddy

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2017, 07:02:32 AM »
This is true Jim.  However, my issue with Kaw is the failure of the warning system as detailed in reply 56 of this thread.  That should never happen and Kaw isn't bothered by it - we can all go crash into a brick wall for all they care.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2017, 08:24:19 AM »
Which is true of all the companies run by the Man.  Nothing different there.  Griping about it here won't help your cause with them.   The only thing we can do is help you troubleshoot or you can just get rid of the bike.

Now, who is interested in seeing the manual pages of the ABS piece?   PM me if you are interested.  It would be for a 2008 but 2009 should apply as well.