Author Topic: How can I tell?  (Read 1736 times)

Offline pat8228

How can I tell?
« on: September 03, 2011, 09:56:58 AM »
I'm the third or fourth owner of my 04 connie. How can I tell if previous owners put a lowering kit on the bike? I'm 5'10 and can touch flatfooted on the road. Just curious. Also how can I tell if a carb modification has been done? I seem to have plenty of power from 2k rpm up. The bike did come with handle bar risers on it, so I'm just wondering what other mods has been done to it.
Thanks for any information.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: How can I tell?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 10:38:09 AM »
Something to immediately check for is overflow tubes in the carbbies.

Simple test: Grab one of your longer vacuum hoses and stick one end on the drain outlet of any of the carbbies. Do NOT unscrew the drain screw. Blow into the hose, if air flows, your engine is protected against hydrolock, if it does not flow, your engine is vulnerable to terminal damage. I would make this the #1 priority. Not all engines will suffer a hydrolock, but it is really ugly if you get one. Figure on replacing the engine.

Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline RedWyvern

Re: How can I tell?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 11:01:08 AM »
Lowering kit...  look at the side and centerstand - have they been (cut down and ) welded?  If you have the lowering kit they'd need it.  The stock sidestand is 10" from the top above the bolt to where the foot aims outward.

also, is on the cog-online... with pictures, showing the stock vs aftermarket rocker.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,29038.0.html

That said, 5'10" should be able to be flat footed, maybe even a bit of knee bend.

Mark