Author Topic: other forum  (Read 2708 times)

Offline hank

other forum
« on: May 29, 2023, 01:48:44 PM »
trying to get in touch with someone over there for a item for sale seller id maddog7771938
hoping someone can reach out to him and get me his number

Offline Freddy

Re: other forum
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 06:44:59 PM »
I sent him a PM with link to this.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Freddy

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 09:08:56 PM »
Done.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline hank

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 07:27:37 PM »
thanks

Offline dboogie2288

• Beginnerbikers.org
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 10:59:47 AM »
I sent him a PM with link to this.

Good man. I'm almost about to hork up the cash to pay for it, but I DO-NOT-SUPPORT them in anyway. I would just consider it a cost incurred to do business and communicate with other members. I think their BS pay to play forum is against the idea of sharing of information and the whole idea of the internet.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 04:19:06 AM »
Good man. I'm almost about to hork up the cash to pay for it, but I DO-NOT-SUPPORT them in anyway. I would just consider it a cost incurred to do business and communicate with other members. I think their BS pay to play forum is against the idea of sharing of information and the whole idea of the internet.
100% agree. Used to be a Concours Owners Group but has now become the Concours Owners Club.
I was a proud member for many years and participant/contributor since 1994 but how the group was administered changed and the overall tone of the forum changed and not for the better.
For me the final straw was charging for forum access and I don't regret leaving as getting away from all the nastiness on there has improved my outlook no end.
There are a few C10/C14 based Facebook groups to avoid too as the trolls ruin them. Luckily there is here (thanks to Rick & all the Admins) and a few FB groups that are well administered and pleasant places to exchange information so I have no need for COG.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline dboogie2288

• Beginnerbikers.org
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 06:55:24 AM »
100% agree. Used to be a Concours Owners Group but has now become the Concours Owners Club.
I was a proud member for many years and participant/contributor since 1994 but how the group was administered changed and the overall tone of the forum changed and not for the better.
For me the final straw was charging for forum access and I don't regret leaving as getting away from all the nastiness on there has improved my outlook no end.
There are a few C10/C14 based Facebook groups to avoid too as the trolls ruin them. Luckily there is here (thanks to Rick & all the Admins) and a few FB groups that are well administered and pleasant places to exchange information so I have no need for COG.

Yeah thankfully for me, I dont have/use facebook. Never will. I too was a participating member over there for a long time starting in 2007 when I got my first 1986 ZG1000. They do however, have a much more popular classified section. That's all I'll use it for really. I dont buy much brand new, so to that end I'll buy stuff off of cog but probably wont be there for much else.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023, 11:56:25 AM »
I think their BS pay to play forum is against the idea of sharing of information and the whole idea of the internet.

That's why I left and came here. I even offered the idea of a reduced fee for simple forum access. They "declined", and were none too polite about it. Basically said the knowledge was worth the payment, and my contributions to the community were worthless.

So I took my ball and went to play over here. Might be quiet, but the people are nicer. Which is a bit odd as far as internet forums go...
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 04:41:03 PM »
Yeah thankfully for me, I dont have/use facebook. Never will.

You sound like me.  I have absolutely ZERO "social media" accounts.  No Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, whatever.  Never have, probably never will.  I watch Youtube and Rumble without an account.  Use most forums anonymously/pseudonymously.  I have uBlockOrigin (highly recommend) installed in Firefox (highly recommend).  Block third-party cookies.  Browse unusual sites using "private" mode.  Etc.

Not interested in broadcasting my personal info all over the place for who-knows what and when.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 04:46:32 PM »
Might be quiet, but the people are nicer.

Well, we have had our share of drama, but nothing horrible.  Some of that is just demographic (I am not going to call us "older").  It is a lot quieter here in the last few years as the Concours is starting, unfortunately, to fade.  Sad.

Which is a bit odd as far as internet forums go...

Yeah, I am constantly amazed at just how nasty/rude/judgemental/insane some people can be when they are online.  Things they probably would never say in person or treating people like trash.  It is a lot like the "in car" / "road rage" syndrome, where the other people on the road are not people, they are objects.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline hank

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 05:19:44 PM »
Same thing here no social media

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2023, 05:58:51 PM »
Havnt been by for awhile as its been pretty quiet. Stop by to find the only recent posts are bashing another forum that enjoys the same great machines we do here.  Slow couple months huh? I have been helped a great deal by both forums and try to give back.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2023, 08:06:45 PM »
Havnt been by for awhile as its been pretty quiet. Stop by to find the only recent posts are bashing another forum that enjoys the same great machines we do here.  Slow couple months huh? I have been helped a great deal by both forums and try to give back.

I have as well, and also try to give back, however, I was a member of that forum for a long time, I got my C14 in 2010 and was on that forum as soon as I found it not long after. I left after the idiocy began that basically kicked everyone to the curb unless they wanted to pay. It wasn't paying that bothered me, I actually pay for other sites, including ADVRider, which doesn't require you to pay. It was the attitude they had that made me leave. I would have gladly paid to remain a member had they not been so absolutely snotty. Once in a while I consider joining, but only so I could buy easily on their for sale section, but so far I haven't. I have simply looked elsewhere. One day I might, but it will have to be for some compelling reason.

Offline blue72beetle

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2023, 08:08:42 PM »
I bailed on the other site when they wanted my home address just to sign up for the forum.
Ain't nothing over there so special that it can't be found anywhere else on the internet.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2023, 09:38:08 AM »
:offtopic:

Can you tell us a little more of your experience using UBO? Is it a resource hog? My chrome is a resource heavy browser as-is.
I am particularly interested in using this on older laptops I still use with less RAM and CPU power. Intel i5 with 4GB etc.

... I have uBlockOrigin (highly recommend) ...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2023, 05:12:01 PM »
:offtopic:
Can you tell us a little more of your experience using UBO? Is it a resource hog? My chrome is a resource heavy browser as-is.  I am particularly interested in using this on older laptops I still use with less RAM and CPU power. Intel i5 with 4GB etc.

All multi-platform browsers that are not Firefox are Chromium.  They are all based on the same engine, controlled by Google.  Chrome, Edge, Vivaldi, Opera, Brave, etc, are all the same engine.

Firefox is more standards-based, community-driven, and more privacy-focused than Chromium browsers.  It also uses less considerably less RAM and performs just as well.  So I would recommend using it.  Adding UBO (the uBlock Origin addon) does seem to make it consume a little more RAM, but not much.  It can actually improve performance as it strips out so much junk from sites.  I have Firefox + UBO (under Linux) running on some low-end, 10-year-old i3 chips with 4GB of RAM and they do fine.  Although 4GB is pretty weak nowadays.

I simply could not tolerate the "web" without UBO (or something like it) at this point.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2023, 10:33:07 AM »
Sold. Thank you Max.

I still use a couple of old laptops because I refuse to move to the cloud based subscription versions of the software I previously bought and installed on these computers. But alas, soon I might have to move because once someone edits a file in the new cloud software some of my old standalones cannot open them! Assholes.

Do you use any such add-ons/extensions for iphone browser apps? I see that ubo doesn't have any for mobile phones. I do know apps run very differently.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2023, 12:12:16 PM »
More off topic nonsense Microsoft Office 2021 was the last stand-alone non-online version and it's on sale for $40 right now.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2023, 12:24:22 PM »
Thanks. That's a good deal. I am on Office 2016 which is supported till 2025. I think it's time to hoard on 2021.

People should consider buying this if they don't want to pay for stupid subscriptions. This should be supported for many years and on at least a few generations of new hardware architectures.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2023, 05:18:26 PM »
Do you use any such add-ons/extensions for iphone browser apps? I see that ubo doesn't have any for mobile phones. I do know apps run very differently.

Sorry, I don't know much of anything about iOS.  All my desktops and servers are and have always been Linux, and phones/tablets are Android Linux.  I know that iOS is strange- all browsers are required to use the Safari engine, so there is no real browser choice in that space.

Thanks. That's a good deal. I am on Office 2016 which is supported till 2025. I think it's time to hoard on 2021. People should consider buying this if they don't want to pay for stupid subscriptions. This should be supported for many years and on at least a few generations of new hardware architectures.

Actually, people should also consider using something completely different, like LibreOffice  https://www.libreoffice.org  which is free, non-cloud, non-ad, private, multi-platform, community-driven, and open-source.  And it supports the MS-Office file formats.

Some major thread drift going on here :)  But hey, at least it is some traffic!