Author Topic: I need help being pushed off the fence....  (Read 2381 times)

Offline sas mayhem

I need help being pushed off the fence....
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:30:58 AM »
I'm looking to get a helmet cam before my next adventure. But I'm on the fence as to which one to get.
I've narrowed it down the the following 3

GoPro http://gopro.com/, but I'm not sure that I need all the bells and whistle is has to offer ,

Contour http://contour.com/

and so far my favorite I think because I've seen it in action the and it's water proof right out the box
Tachyon XC http://www.tachyoninc.com/

I want HD and I'm just using it for road trips that's all

Any thoughts, I know most people have the Hero I think, and more know lesser of the Tachyon.

Cheers
Ron

OH under 280.00 bones
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Son of Pappy

Re: I need help being pushed off the fence....
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 10:42:41 AM »
Hands down Contour HD, get the water proof case.  Much easier to use then the Go pro, great pics, and IMO mounts up easier.  Night and day differance in ease of use.

Offline skeet

• 2009 Concours 14
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 10:55:15 AM »
I have the gopro HD. It is easy to use, (short learning curve) and takes great video. I got the lcd backpack so I could also use it like a standard camera. I am pleased with the results so far.
One issue that I have is you can not see the led blinking on the front of the camera when it is mounted on the bike. So for turning it on while you are riding some times I missed the shot. I got used to double checking to make sure it was recording but it was a pain. Learned this after going back to check the video and not seeing some great twisties.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »
Are you two both running at 1080? or another setting?

Thanks for the inputs so far.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline skeet

• 2009 Concours 14
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 11:42:15 AM »
I have used 1080, 720@30fps and 720@60fps all of the modes work very well. I have not used it enough to find a favorite mode. I used the 720 modes the most because it provides the most record time. I have'nt have time to process the videos I took from my trip out west but they look really good. It will be fun to look at this winter while I'm snowed in.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:49:52 AM »
I'll run 1080 when it's a short video, but I have no issue with lower settings.  The twin lasers really help with alignment, be it on the helmet or on the bike.  You get an audible beep when you first switch it on and a simple slide controls record mode.  I had the GP, loaned it to a buddy who rode to Baja, he managed to crush it so he replaced it with the cam of my choice, since I never liked the on/off and small screen on the GP I went with the Contour.  Very happy with it, just dont forget to rotate the lens for angle of mount, I have a video of me riding sideways, and upside down ;)  Seems even lining up dots is too complicated 8)  (Lens rotates to orient camera position) It is a feature I like, I mount the cam on top of my helmet, it is sideways, making for a smaller profile, on my street helmet it is on the side, mounted to the visor, this way I can swap out visors and no mount for daily rides.  I think I made a good choice in the Contour and if I had to choose again, it would be the Contour.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:10:09 PM »
Thanks guys, Pappy what extras if any did you need, and what size card do you have?
09 Connie

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:22:23 PM »
I have a 16 and 2 8 gig cards, 2 spare batteries, several differant mounts, the waterproof case, and I also bought the car charger.  A buddy has been using his for over a year and his only issue is once and a while the back door will open up, but it is expected when your out dual sporting ;)  The waterproof case will solve this, but nothing falls out, so no big deal.  The cover wont come off, just flops a bit.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 01:56:29 PM »
Have both a GoPro and Contour, and like the Contour best. HD and it's got a BIG button to turn it on when you want to record. Can do it with gloves on --- heck, just did on Saturday. Much less fiddly.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 02:35:48 PM »
I see the Contour records in File format: It records in .mov file format.  Is the quality still good on a PC or TV?

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 02:37:41 PM »
I havn't tried the TV, but it kicks serious butt on the PC!  Rather amazing just how clear things are.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 04:02:39 PM »
I bought the Venom Cam almost 2 years ago, on One deal a day dot com, got it for $30....
it has a bunch of harness and adapters to achieve mounts anywheres, i have mine mounted on the front of my chin bar on my Genesis helmet...it's that tiny....
quality is exceptional, i can get about 2 hours on a charge, and it's VOX activated....
it ain't HD, but i'll tell you the recording is superb and clear.
and if you dump it...hey, it was only $$30.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/venom-snake-eye-micro-xtreme-sports-cam.aspx?a=643448

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=VNR0690

for the price, if you can find one around $30-50 on sale, you can't go wrong, just don't "hard mount it on the bike", mount it on your helmet.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..