Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 727182 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2940 on: December 22, 2017, 11:04:51 AM »
Yeah, I thought it was a perfect fit to a perfect ending to that series.

Another song that could not have been more perfect for that series, used in the season before the last one, was Crystal Blue Persuasion by Tommy James and the Shondells. The music used in seasons 5 and 6 (I know there are supposedly only 5 seasons, but they made me wait an entire year before showing the last half of the episodes from "Season 5" so I think there was a sixth season) matched and worked with the series perfectly IMO. The only other presentation I know of that made such excellent use of the soundtrack synchronized to the video was Scorsese's Good Fellas.

Brian

Good stuff, I see why they chose it, as the first line is "I guess I got what I deserved"
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2941 on: December 22, 2017, 11:31:14 AM »
Do you need 20kw?

Yes. It's an all-electric house, save the gas range and oven and two fake fireplaces.

Not my idea of heaven, necessarily, because I'm a big proponent of gas heat. Much more efficient and less expensive. But if when the SHTF, we're ready.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2942 on: December 22, 2017, 11:41:46 AM »
Yes, that is one drawback but there are others: an automatic, stand-by generator needs a dedicated main breaker panel and has to be maintained / serviced if one really expects it to truly 'stand by'.

I too go with a portable 5K generator and find it is the best solution for me. It is just a gasoline, portable generator, about $600 new, and it sits in my garage and is wired into the garage sub- panel. So, when power fails I just open the main breakers on the house, start the generator (by hand- no electric start on it) and fuel it as needed, leaving it running inside a closed, detached garage for as long as power is down. It will run the whole house quite comfortably IF one is sane about it: no A/C unless a small room unit. It will run the boiler, refrigerator, freezer and all small appliances, all lights we want to use, and TV's, cable boxes, computers. It will run ONE burner on the electric stove OR one high wattage heating device at a time: coffee maker, toaster oven, microwave, etc. So we can live comfortably but have to be a little bit aware of what we are doing and be reasonable.

I am not willing to 1) spend the money on a stand- by generator and the associated costs (wiring panel, lockouts, etc.) 2) do the annual maintenance to make sure it works (would rather tinker with the portable generator if / when it needs it or when I need it) 3) spend the money to arrange for sufficient fuel, either diesel or propane (no natural gas available here) and if propane, 4) not willing to try and maintain the large fuel tank on the property filled as the days tick off. It is a very significant investment and commitment installing and maintaining a true stand- by generator and the benefits are just not worth it to me.

Brian

To each his own. When Mrs. E and I lived in Salt Lake City, some cretin ran his car into an electric sub-station up in the Pacific NW somewhere, and the resulting fallout put us without power for 9 days.

Never again.

Regarding maintenance, the only maintenance I've had to do with a Kohler 17kW I had in a previous house was an oil change once a year, spark plugs every 3 years, air filter, and a battery over an 8 year period. That's not much more than I'd do with a lawn mower.

The Generac generators do not have self-adjusting valves, so there's that particular hassle. Of course, since we Connie owners love to adjust the valves in our bikes, we have no problem with adjusting valves, right?

The other part to this scenario that I like is the service I get. When/if a problem happens, the Kohler guy is right there. Kohler, as a company, had to acknowledge the business that Generac was taking, so they came down in price significantly AND they upped their customer service to boot.

Money well spent, AFAIC. YMMV.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2943 on: December 23, 2017, 06:33:21 AM »
I just received notice of my annual 3% cost of living increase to my retirement pension.

Yep, that's right, a 3% raise for doing nothing (and I'm damn good at it too).   :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2944 on: December 23, 2017, 06:50:55 AM »
You're welcome.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2945 on: December 23, 2017, 11:45:57 AM »
You're welcome.

Yeah, really.  What is a "pension"?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2946 on: December 23, 2017, 12:00:31 PM »
I've got one from IBM but not going to hit it for a few years more.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2947 on: December 23, 2017, 12:02:19 PM »
It is the money you will be paying to Al Franken for the rest of his life....

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #2948 on: December 23, 2017, 03:03:28 PM »
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2949 on: December 24, 2017, 07:39:58 AM »

That's the money the state of Illinois pays me (for the rest of my life) each month for doing nothing (they also pay my health insurance for life). I don't get Social Security because I haven't paid into that system while I worked for the state. I did pay into SS before working for the state and I'm fully vested. So at some point I will be able to draw some benefits from SS but it won't be much. 

Thanks G!   :)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2950 on: December 24, 2017, 08:37:04 AM »
That's the money the state of Illinois pays me (for the rest of my life) each month for doing nothing (they also pay my health insurance for life). I don't get Social Security because I haven't paid into that system while I worked for the state. I did pay into SS before working for the state and I'm fully vested. So at some point I will be able to draw some benefits from SS but it won't be much. 

How does one not pay into Social Security (while also staying out of jail), which is a federal program, no? (I'm assuming one is not an illegal immigrant. If so, I believe it's the case that none of our laws actually apply to you, but all of our benefits do = Sweet deal.)

I wanna do that, too. I trust my investment decisions much more than the government's.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2951 on: December 24, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
It's a government union thing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2952 on: December 24, 2017, 08:49:50 AM »
That's the money the state of Illinois pays me (for the rest of my life) each month for doing nothing (they also pay my health insurance for life).

Yeah, I think I read about pensions in a history book a long time ago...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2953 on: December 24, 2017, 08:51:46 AM »
Honestly, I am amazed at that- I was not aware anyone was exempt from SS while earning wages. ??

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2954 on: December 24, 2017, 09:16:32 AM »

How does one not pay into Social Security (while also staying out of jail), which is a federal program, no? (I'm assuming one is not an illegal immigrant. If so, I believe it's the case that none of our laws actually apply to you, but all of our benefits do = Sweet deal.)

I wanna do that, too. I trust my investment decisions much more than the government's.

Honestly, I am amazed at that- I was not aware anyone was exempt from SS while earning wages. ??

Brian

Rest assured I am not an illegal immigrant. I worked as a civil servant of the state for 30 years and as such didn't pay into Social Security. What I paid into instead is called SURS (state university retirement system. I paid in 8% towards my pension while the university matched that amount). And yes, it's a very sweet deal. I retired at 55 after 30 years in the system and that meant that I maxed out my benefits. They pay me 80% (for life) of what my highest salary was while I was employed and I also don't have to pay state taxes and my health insurance is also covered for life. When you boil all of that down, I'm actually bringing home just a lil more dough retired than when I was working.   :)   

And if I was so inclined, I can get another job (as long as this job is outside of the SURS system) and it won't affect my pension amount at all. Plus I'm guarantied a 3% annual cost of living increase.

The amount that I paid in, and that the university matched, doesn't really matter. If I live long enough I can easily get paid more through my pension than what was paid in. 

VERY sweet indeed!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2955 on: December 24, 2017, 10:22:34 AM »
Yes sweet indeed. Conrad, this is not personal as I realize you and thousands of others in the state just worked under the system as it exists but the result of this system is an insurmountable debt. Depending on who's counting, Illinois' unfunded pension liability is any where from 150 billion to 250 billion. Compare that to the GDP of half or more of the countries in the world. The state can only hope for a congressional bailout. Much like other Democrat controlled states.
We are doomed as a state to eternal debtor status. Enjoy your pension as long as the state can send the check.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2956 on: December 24, 2017, 12:08:47 PM »
So the Fed. let you 'out' of SS if you signed on and into that state system? Still amazing IMO. If that door were open to enough people, SS would fail in about 24 minutes, not nearly as long as the 11 years it has left in it with <virtually> all wage earners participating.

That sounds like a joke but it is not; the system is not being adjusted fast enough to keep pace with the changing economy. And now that 'the game is afoot' (now that the Social Security system is embedded into the US economy), it is a gigantic, sideways Ponzi scheme that is failing slowly because the participants are locked into it. If allowed to leave, all sane young people would bail out, leaving the system with a shadow of its former income and all of its former out-go.

Brian

Rest assured I am not an illegal immigrant. I worked as a civil servant of the state for 30 years and as such didn't pay into Social Security. What I paid into instead is called SURS (state university retirement system. I paid in 8% towards my pension while the university matched that amount).

<snip>

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2957 on: December 24, 2017, 01:40:23 PM »
I know *I* would have opted out of SS decades ago if I could have.... As it is, I have paid tons of money into a system that will likely not be there (or anywhere near what it should be) when it is MY time.  Of course, knowing this, I have put as much money into my OWN retirement plans as possible for those decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIKIdE0vYok

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2958 on: December 25, 2017, 05:37:24 AM »
Yes sweet indeed. Conrad, this is not personal as I realize you and thousands of others in the state just worked under the system as it exists but the result of this system is an insurmountable debt. Depending on who's counting, Illinois' unfunded pension liability is any where from 150 billion to 250 billion. Compare that to the GDP of half or more of the countries in the world. The state can only hope for a congressional bailout. Much like other Democrat controlled states.
We are doomed as a state to eternal debtor status. Enjoy your pension as long as the state can send the check.

This is all true, the system as is is not sustainable but this is what I was guarantied when I started my employment as a civil servant with the state back in 1984. All of this is written into the state's constitution and our benefits can not be diminished. They tried that and failed.

The biggest problem with the SURS system is that in the past governors of our great state illegally 'borrowed' money for pet projects from SURS coffers with a promise to repay those funds and then, guess what? Never did. If the system wasn't mismanaged by our state politicians it certainly wouldn't be the mess it is today.   

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2959 on: December 25, 2017, 05:43:04 AM »
snip...

So the Fed. let you 'out' of SS if you signed on and into that state system? Still amazing IMO.

Brian

Yes! And guess what? My wife is also in this system, she retires 7/1/2018. What she will receive for her pension is unrelated to what I receive. I believe with SS the two amounts are somewhat related? She wont be maxing out her pension as I did (80%) but she's close.