Author Topic: So after her winter nap I go to start and have nothing.  (Read 11259 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: So after her winter nap I go to start and have nothing.
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2023, 05:58:14 AM »
My voltage check was under zero load since I have zero response from the bike. But point taken. It could be the battery.

You *must* have some load on the battery to test it in any meaningful way (the multitester, itself, is almost zero load).  Even a small load will do for a quick sanity check.  Otherwise, you are just measuring "surface voltage."  Just hook up a 12v incandescent lamp or something inline with your meter to test the voltage.  If it drops much compared to no load, it is likely pretty dead.  A true test requires a LOT of load (many dozens of amps over a significant amount of time, after being fully charged), but this simple test will tell you if it is enough to wake the bike up or not.

As others (and I) have said many times, the C14 is particularly picky about voltage (and good connections).  A little too low and it will freak out, or do nothing at all.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2023, 07:52:29 AM »
So I pulled the battery out again and found a 12v bulb and tried to get it to light up and realized that the positive terminal has some corrosion on it (which doesn't look horrible), which was not allowing a good contact. I used the multimeter probes and touched the top of the terminals again and got nothing. If I touched at the bottom of the terminal block (under the floating nut), it was fine.

I have a battery on order now, coming Sunday (Amazon was $46 and the local dealer was $130).

Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2023, 08:22:10 AM »
BTW, I checked my records and the last time I replaced the battery was just over 6 years ago, so I am due.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2023, 08:40:40 AM »
A load resistor that comes with some LED bulbs makes a good dummy load for a sanity check of your battery.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2023, 04:05:30 PM »
So I pulled the battery out again and found a 12v bulb and tried to get it to light up and realized that the positive terminal has some corrosion on it (which doesn't look horrible), which was not allowing a good contact. I used the multimeter probes and touched the top of the terminals again and got nothing. If I touched at the bottom of the terminal block (under the floating nut), it was fine.

You didn't tell us the voltage when it did light up in series with the meter :)  I am sure many of us are curious.

And yes, at 6 years, it is overdue for replacement, most likely.  This is especially true if the battery ever sat for long in a low charge state.  I have yet to have a battery last that long, even using a battery tender on it ALL the time it is not ridden.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2023, 04:15:17 PM »
You didn't tell us the voltage when it did light up in series with the meter :)  I am sure many of us are curious.

And yes, at 6 years, it is overdue for replacement, most likely.  This is especially true if the battery ever sat for long in a low charge state.  I have yet to have a battery last that long, even using a battery tender on it ALL the time it is not ridden.

It didn't light up because I could not get any voltage from the positive terminal where I connected it.
Scott

Offline dl1911

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2023, 04:24:27 PM »
Okay so yesterdays diagnosis was slightly more productive.

Does anyone think the actual ignition switch could be bad? I have battery voltage going to the KiPass housing and ignition switch but I have no voltage getting back to the main ECU or the KiPass ecu?

I can turn the motor over with the starter but I have no dash, fuel pump or ignition.

Ideas?

I also checked continuity between all the joing terminals and the main plug under the left fairing.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2023, 06:56:42 PM »
I have not heard for a faulty ignition switch assembly (apart from stuck activation switch) in the 16 years I've had one and been on these forums.

Did you remove some plastic and thoroughly inspect for rodent damage?

See reply 27.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline dl1911

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2023, 03:59:25 AM »
Freddy,

I have removed all of the plastics from the dash rearward. I still havent found any rodent damage.

The next alternative I guess is to pull the front to get the ignition/KiPass housing.

This is really starting to get frustrating! As much as I love this motorcycle it has WAY to much electronic crap on it!

The search comtinues!!!

Offline Freddy

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2023, 05:02:50 AM »
Have you checked on top of the valve cover?

The ign swiitch ECU is NOT where KIPASS lives, which is the black box (ECU) under the seat with 1 harness connector.

I do not think that KIPASS is the problem. 

Yours is a very rare issue.  As I've said, if there is no rodent damage, try another fuel injection ECU as described earlier.

As for electronics - newer models & makes have LOTS more.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2023, 11:49:13 AM »
My issue is solved. New battery is installed and it started right up. I have it on the charger now and will bring it in for it's annual inspection in a few days.

I hope dl1911 can get his figured out soon.
Scott

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2023, 01:42:09 PM »
LOL!   I am very glad yours is fixed now and it was just the battery.

DL's issue might be a tad less straight-forward, unfortunately.

Offline dl1911

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2023, 02:45:46 PM »
Freddy,

Where is the fi ecu box located?

Offline Freddy

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2023, 06:06:33 PM »
There are 4 black boxes under the seat;  one with 3 plugs is the Relay box; one with 2 plugs is the FI ECU; one with 1 plug which is the KIPASS ECU ; and one with no plug which is the tool box.

Offline dl1911

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2023, 06:47:39 AM »
Freddy,
Okay I was misunderstanding the nomenclature. I understood this box to be the main ecu.
If I replace it, it will have to be reflashed using the KDS system correct?
I am trying my best to avoid having to have to take this in to the dealer.
I dont have a lot of faith in the local Kawasaki dealers to get this fixed.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2023, 05:33:42 PM »
If I replace it, it will have to be reflashed using the KDS system correct?

See reply 29.

Where are you located?  Perhaps someone on the COG forum with KDS can help you out.

Offline dl1911

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2023, 06:11:01 PM »
Im in Alliance, Ohio

Offline Freddy

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2023, 03:20:11 AM »
Are you going to buy that ECU off ebay?

Offline dl1911

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2023, 04:20:39 AM »
I havent decided to buy anything just yet. Im still searching for the culprit before I start spending money.
If I need to replace the ecu I need to find someone able to do the re-register.
Figure in those costs.
The dealers around here are very high on their shop rates.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2023, 05:09:48 AM »
l have asked on the COG forum if someone with KDS can help you, with a link to this thread.