Author Topic: Random nonsense  (Read 35957 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Random nonsense
« Reply #220 on: December 21, 2023, 10:02:08 AM »
Looks like it did contain mercury and was banned in 1998 sadly.  It worked for me and the whole family.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #221 on: December 21, 2023, 03:39:54 PM »
Looks like it did contain mercury and was banned in 1998 sadly.  It worked for me and the whole family.

Yeah, well, mercury is really not a good thing when it gets into the body.  Surprised it was on the market even that long.  There are different forms and some can be absorbed through the skin...

And yes, as a kid, I did play with mercury in my bare hands (as I am sure many of you did).  Pure (elemental) mercury won't penetrate in-tact skin.  So there is that.  But I probably wouldn't do it again... why push luck?  It is a fascinating material, holding a liquid metal which is cold and heavy.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #222 on: December 21, 2023, 07:33:28 PM »
Mercury was used for all sorts of things. Jim's wound care solution, thermometers, eyedrops, fillings, vaccines. Then came the anti-vaxers and ruined it for all of us.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #223 on: December 26, 2023, 08:10:20 AM »
I was actually able to lift my right foot to get into the passenger side of the Prius.  Getting better.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #224 on: December 26, 2023, 09:43:18 AM »
Awesome news, Jim!
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #225 on: December 26, 2023, 02:19:55 PM »
I was actually able to lift my right foot to get into the passenger side of the Prius.  Getting better.

:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

Jim, you had to know it was only a matter of time.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #226 on: December 26, 2023, 06:57:58 PM »
Haven't dared trying the truck yet...

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #227 on: January 03, 2024, 05:51:30 PM »

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #228 on: January 04, 2024, 07:16:11 AM »
I'd imagine Jim didn't get one of those, as the manufacturers were admonished already in 2022. Hope you're continuing to improve at pace, Jim.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #229 on: January 04, 2024, 10:58:43 AM »
I am indeed improving day by day.  Actually drove the truck the past few days on some short hops.  At least my right leg doesn't bother me anymore using the accelerator pedal and brake.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #230 on: January 04, 2024, 03:04:45 PM »
Did you get this? Just read this on google news.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/do-not-use-synovo-total-hip-resurfacing-system-fda-safety-communication

Well, I'm hoping all the right things were done.  The surgeon seemed very competent as is his office staff.  I guess we'll see in the long run..  Now I need to get better and start riding the bike again.  Planning on doing way more traveling this year with the wife on the bike and vehicles.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #231 on: January 04, 2024, 06:08:08 PM »
I'm sure all the right things were done. I just wanted to bring this up to your attention just because it came onto my newsfeed and we were discussing hip replacement here. For personal interest, I'm subscribed to medical news so I often get recalls and warnings showing up in my news panel.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2024, 03:30:34 AM »
I appreciate the heads up...

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #233 on: January 05, 2024, 06:45:52 AM »
Good to hear you're continuing to do better. I totally understand wanting to do more with the wife. Looking to do more traveling with my family this year, too.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2024, 06:55:26 AM »
How are those blisters? They dry up?

Have you resumed your alcohol consumption or are you waiting till you are completely healed? :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #235 on: January 05, 2024, 11:33:27 AM »
The blister broke before I got to the doc to look at it.  Completely healed now.  I've stopped drinking temporarily (aaaargh!)  :yikes:  as it's affecting my sleeping (stopped a day ago).

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #236 on: January 08, 2024, 10:24:14 AM »
We went dry for a few months before Thanksgiving. After that, we stayed off everything but bourbon. Much lower calories than the beer we were drinking. Trying to be better about my own health.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #237 on: January 08, 2024, 11:43:13 AM »
I'm more of a whisky drinker myself as well.  Only time I do beer is when I'm grilling.  One beer, to set up the grill.  Another to actually grill.  A final one for the serving after the cooking is done.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #238 on: January 15, 2024, 04:41:16 PM »
Getting married in 6 weeks and we're going on a motorcycle camping tour of part of the state and Route 66 from one side of AZ to the other. Two people, two bikes, four days. Done plenty of camping, plenty of long riding, but motorcycle camping is new to both of us. Any suggestions?

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #239 on: January 15, 2024, 05:17:25 PM »
Go to a back packing store. Camping gear for back packers is what you need for motorcycle camping.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.