Author Topic: Can't remove the seat, is there a trick to it?  (Read 652 times)

Offline Seneca

Can't remove the seat, is there a trick to it?
« on: March 29, 2021, 03:52:01 PM »
New to me 2009 C14, 16K miles, tried to remove seat to investigate the ECU for possible reflash BUT the seat won't budge.  I read what the owner's manual says regarding removal, it says to push down on the rear of the seat if it's stubborn.  No joy.

Does the key normally need to be held against spring action while removing the seat? Mine does which makes the seat pulling/lifting a one handed operation. Is this right?

Previous owner removed the seat during pre-buy for me; it was very difficult to get back on, requiring a screwdriver to push forward on a couple of tabs at the rear of the seat.  Is this typical?  I really didn't look at the latching mechanism when the PO had it off and have no idea where to pry or what to do.

Thanks in advance!

Seneca

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Can't remove the seat, is there a trick to it?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 04:14:34 PM »
New to me 2009 C14, 16K miles, tried to remove seat to investigate the ECU for possible reflash BUT the seat won't budge.  I read what the owner's manual says regarding removal, it says to push down on the rear of the seat if it's stubborn.  No joy.

Aftermarket seat?  Mine (Sargent) is extremely difficult to remove or install.  Takes many attempts, sometimes cursing.  And doing it alone is really bad- sometimes I will put a vice grip on the key to keep it engaged so I can use both hands.  Sometimes pressing down and forward on the center while pulling up on the back.

Does the key normally need to be held against spring action while removing the seat?

Yes
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Seneca

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 05:26:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply; had my wife hold the key while I tried both hands pushing and pulling, no luck.  While I went to find something to pry with, wife says, seats off, no biggie.  What!? How did you do that with one hand??  No prob, she says, glad to help.

WTF??!!

She says she'll take anybody else's seat off in in our area (Little Rock)....for 50 bucks.

Oh, and the ECU was stock! Now to get Steve to work some magic on it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 01:02:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply; had my wife hold the key while I tried both hands pushing and pulling, no luck.  While I went to find something to pry with, wife says, seats off, no biggie.  What!? How did you do that with one hand??  No prob, she says, glad to help.  WTF??!!

Yep, I can fight mine for 10 minutes and then all of a sudden it just comes off easily.  Makes no sense.

Oh, and the ECU was stock!

Eeeeeeeew!

Now to get Steve to work some magic on it.

:)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 08:46:03 AM »
I very seldom take mine off, but it seems it just releases when I turn the key & I lift with my left hand. RDL seat on stock pan.

If you should ever need work done that you're not comfortable with Fred Harmon is in Mountain Home, good guy & quality work.

I'm just up the road from you in Greenbrier.
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 02:04:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply; had my wife hold the key while I tried both hands pushing and pulling, no luck.  While I went to find something to pry with, wife says, seats off, no biggie.  What!? How did you do that with one hand??  No prob, she says, glad to help.

WTF??!!

She says she'll take anybody else's seat off in in our area (Little Rock)....for 50 bucks.

Oh, and the ECU was stock! Now to get Steve to work some magic on it.

Hahaha, thanks for making my day! And probably thank your wife for taking the seat off! Hopefully the latch is not hung or tight on any loose cables.

You will not regret getting your ECU flashed from Steve! I have the Mtn Runner Premium and its refined at slower speeds, but in the twisties you'll have a big grin searching for more curves.