Author Topic: Sena SMH10 v5 Firmware  (Read 90298 times)

Offline wb57

Re: Sena SMH10 v5 Firmware
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 07:33:37 AM »
Depends on the brand and depends where you're at. The range is limited to the range of the non-sena device. I have a Sharktooth bluetooth and connected it via intercom to my Sena friends with no issues except when I was more than 400 yards away. Also if you're using intercom in the city the range is significantly bad.

Check the range of the non-sena bluetooth device and that should be your approximate maximum range when connected to a sena device.

Good to know.  I was told by someone - I thought a Sena rep - that it was a Bluetooth connection.  It may well be that I read that on another forum.  Moot at any rate for me as I'm going to go back to 4.2 for the time being.
My issues are strictly intercom related and from rider/passenger on one bike.  I've noticed no change in phone quality, and I rarely use it for GPS from the phone.  Probably 95% same bike intercom and  5% phone.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09
Turning paychecks into spent fossil fuels.

Offline TonyR

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 08:20:02 PM »
I'm on the market for a new communication system and the Sena seems to have some really nice features. I ride with my wife most of the time and we both use headphones.
Does the Sena have headphone support?
We currently use the XBi and I modified the speakers and soldered a wire to a jack so we can plug in the headphones. It works great, it can be used with or without headphones.
If there is no interface for the headphones, do you know if the speakers can be open to do the same?

Thanks
Tony

Offline orangewingnut

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 11:50:21 AM »
I upgraded mine and am now having trouble pairing it up with my garmin 350lm. Paired up with my galaxy note 2 just fine. I am always hesitant to 'upgrade' things that work perfectly only to find more problems than I had before.

I emailed sena and await a response... they are usually good in getting back to me quickly.

I may, like others here, have to go back to the previous version..

Bill

Offline OldBalz

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 01:09:57 PM »
I tried this weekend to upgrade my Sena SMH10s to the 5.0.1 firmware and after two hours and two different computers it continues to give me the same message...'Doesn't recognize my devices".  I've downloaded the proper Installation Device Manager for Windows and follow the instuctions but still get the same Message.  My Senas are SMH10B models. I'm stuck and I also think that their video and upgrade package is pi$$ poor..
I do like the Senas but this upgrade deal has me perplexed.
S/E Michigan Boy
2012 C-14 Arabian Red
1973 Norton 850 Commando
1969 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler

Offline orangewingnut

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 02:13:58 PM »
ok. so while i was waiting for a response from sena, i found out that i was using the wrong pairing method to get the sena to pair up with my garmin. I was using the standard phone pairing method and needed to use the multipoint gps method!!  :-\  Now all is right with the world.

for those having trouble,(probably just me), make sure you are using the correct pairing method. Here's what i found...

Forums/FAQ/Bluetooth Setup
How do I pair my Sena Bluetooth headset to my device?

Sena
posted this on Jan 15 11:09 AM
Pairing mode is sometimes called discovery mode.

Standard Phone pairing – Hold down the Phone button for 5 seconds until both red and blue starts to flash rapidly.
This will pair to both HFP and A2DP profile of the phone. This means you can make calls and listen to music from your phone.

Multipoint GPS – Hold down the Jog Dial for 5 seconds until the red LED starts to flash rapidly. Within 2 seconds tap the Phone button then the LED turns to flashing BLUE. You will hear it say “Multipoint pairing”.
Multipoint pairing is used when you already have a mobile phone paired to your SMH10 and you want to add a GPS or the SR10.
This mode pairs to the HFP profile.

Selective pairing A2DP – Hold down the Phone button for 5 seconds until both Red and Blue LED starts to flash rapidly. Within 2 seconds tap the Jog Dial, the Red LED flashes rapidly. It will say “Medial selective pairing”.
Used for iPod touch or Bluetooth audio systems.
This mode only pairs to the A2DP profile.

Selective pairing HFP – Hold down the Phone button for 5 seconds until both Red and Blue LED starts to flash rapidly. Within 2 seconds tap the Phone button again. The Blue LED will flash rapidly. It will say “Phone selective pairing”.
This mode only pairs to the HFP Profile.

Intercom - Turn on both units. Press and hold the Jog dial on both units until the RED LED flashes red. Then tap the Jog dial on one of the unit to start the pairing process. When done, both units will flash a double Blue LED and will be in intercom mode.
One person found this useful. - Me too!

Add a comment

Support Software by Zendesk

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 03:26:26 PM »
I've only paired with another smh10 and my phone but that's good into right there.

Offline Flyteof4

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 12:37:25 AM »
I tried this weekend to upgrade my Sena SMH10s to the 5.0.1 firmware and after two hours and two different computers it continues to give me the same message...'Doesn't recognize my devices".  I've downloaded the proper Installation Device Manager for Windows and follow the instuctions but still get the same Message.  My Senas are SMH10B models. I'm stuck and I also think that their video and upgrade package is pi$$ poor..
I do like the Senas but this upgrade deal has me perplexed.

I had the same problem and couldnt figure it out. Finally switched to a different usb cable and suddenly everything worked perfectly. That cable worked on everything else as far as i know but wouldnt work on the senas at that particular time. Might be worth a try.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 06:47:49 AM »
My SMH10 can't be updated.  So far no issues pairing with my new smartphone and my 2010 GPS.  Been thinking about a new Garmin Zumo, but man those things are expensive!
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline lablank

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2014, 10:57:43 AM »
Well, guys, I have bad news to report about one of my SMH10 units. On Thurs and Fri, I did 500 miles riding the twisties throughout the south end of the great state of Vermont... in the downpour. I'm happy to report that every part of my outfit, including gloves, boots and rain suit, remained absolutely dry...on the inside! However, my sena started acting up on Thurs after riding about 3 hours in the rain (shutting itself off when I pressed the jog dial, for instance!) and, by Fri, more rain and the unit became totally unresponsive. I was, to say the least, very disappointed because I love my sena. I've had this particular unit for a few years and never had any problems with the rain. Just recently upgraded to 5.01.
 I've sent an email to the company to try and find out if there was something I should have done... other than staying inside by the fireplace... or putting the unit in my pocket!!! I thought these units were waterproof, like my Zumo 660, but I guess there is a limit to water "resistance"!! In the unit's defense, at times, it was really like riding under water...that's how much rain there was, all day. But still, these units should be rated IPX7, nothing less... considering it is sold for use on a motorbike!

Now waiting for the company to let me know what can be done.

Rene
2012 C14 Candy Arabian Red; 2005 Hayabusa Red/Black
1988 Katana 1100; 1990 Intruder 800; 1979 GS1000E; 1978 GS750E; 1973 CB350

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 11:38:54 AM »
Did them about a month ago and have been having issues ever since.  One unit stopped being able to initiate a connection to the other, was getting a horrible flutter about every 30 minutes that would require a reboot.  Wind noise seemed to increase to the point where they were almost unusable.

Been working with Sena ever since.  Have done all the resets to no avail.  Reflashed to V5 and then to V5.0.1 the other day.  No change.  The tech sent me the old V4.2 yesterday.

I really liked these units before the flash.  Not so much now.  Hopefully "upgrading" them to the old firmware will fix the issues.

The only advantage I was looking forward to was the ability to connect to other brands, but found that was a Bluetooth connection which would limit you to about 25-50' anyway.

Upgraded my Firmware and all of a sudden I can't access the intercom mode and communicate with my wife's helmet! She can push her intercom button and we can talk but if I push my button to go to intercom mode, nothing happens!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 01:33:59 PM »
Unless someone comes up with a fix, your best bet is to to the Sena folks.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lablank

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 11:33:59 AM »
Now waiting for the company to let me know what can be done.

Rene

Well good news. It turns out my unit was still under warranty. I shipped it to the company and got a brand new one yesterday in the mail, all set up with the 5.01 firmware. Works like a charm!  I'm happy as a clam!!!   :cool:

Offline lablank

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »
Firmware v5.1 is out!!  8)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 12:28:24 PM »
My SMH10 can't be updated.  So far no issues pairing with my new smartphone and my 2010 GPS.  Been thinking about a new Garmin Zumo, but man those things are expensive!

Picked up a Zumo 660 this summer.  Everything works together with my gen 1 SMH10.  I will definitely stick with SENA if/when this one wears out.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077