Author Topic: Mirror vibration  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
Mirror vibration
« on: October 15, 2011, 01:47:03 PM »
My right mirror is able to move to the rear about 3/8" (measured at the outer edge).  This shows as a blurring vibration when riding on rough roads/over bumps.  It 'naturally' stays forward but I can pull it back by hand the 3/8", when I let go it 'springs' back to the forward position.  When I move it more than the 3/8" back all is good and tight.  There is no slop when I push it forward or up/down as if to adjust the position ... all is good and tight.

So, in other words, I have 'slop' only in the front/back direction and the mirror tends to stay forward as if slightly spring-loaded in that direction.

Before I slit the bellows for the common 'floppy mirror repair' .... does this sound like the symptom when the 'hidden 10mm nut (or bolt)' needs tightening?  I hesitate because the mirror does not seem at all loose once I move it beyond the limited range of 'slop' .

The left mirror is completely tight, no range of easy motion at all in any direction.

Thanks in advance!
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Mirror vibration
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 04:51:24 PM »
Sounds like one of the bolts that hold the mirror to the fairing is loose.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Centex

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 05:51:37 PM »
Nothing loose at the base of the mirror / fairing.  The base does not move when exercising the slop.

Can the outer housing (with the glass) loosen independent of the arm tightened by the 'normal fix'?
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 05:57:55 PM »
It's not a horrible project to remove the 'shield and necessary fairing pieces to gain full access to the mirror mounting. I would take the time to do it, just in case there is something cracked that may be fixable before it breaks completely. It will give full access to the entire assembly, no cutting required.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »
Can the outer housing (with the glass) loosen independent of the arm tightened by the 'normal fix'?

It's been a while since I had my apart, but I think the mirror housing itself is held to the arm by a single bolt.  If the nut was loose, you might also get the flexing you are experiencing.

To fix it, you'll have to remove the mirror glass.  The thin plastic frame of the mirror can be slowly and carefully pried off the rest of the housing, then the glass will come out and you'll have access. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Centex

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 11:11:13 PM »
To fix it, you'll have to remove the mirror glass.  The thin plastic frame of the mirror can be slowly and carefully pried off the rest of the housing, then the glass will come out and you'll have access.

Thanks, Jon, that got me on the right path.  :thumbs:

A 1-1/4" wide steel putty knife was the ticket for scratch-free removal of the thin frame to pull the glass.  Found that the housing was cracked where that stud penetrated that fastens the housing to the cast metal 'arm' covered by the bellows.  Removal of the mirror glass was the only way to see that surface.

Your memory is correct, a single 12mm nut holds the housing on the 'arm'.  Removed the housing and I've injected cyanoacrylate (super glue) into the cracks from both sides, I'll let it cure overnight.  We'll see how that holds-up and if not, I can see other ways to reinforce that plane of the housing now that I've been there.

Thanks again   :chugbeer:
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750