Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 729594 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2120 on: September 14, 2015, 12:32:35 PM »
Are we sure the command module is not reflected in some tiny piece of the LEM?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2121 on: September 14, 2015, 01:38:54 PM »
Nope, but then that opens the whole philosophical question of whether or not a reflection is "in" a photograph. I guess it all comes down to "It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the—if he—if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not—that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement"

Maybe somebody should ask Mr. Collins, and perhaps he would say something like 'I did not have photographic relations with myself while in space!'.  At any rate, heady stuff and beyond my simple powers of deduction.

;D

Brian

Are we sure the command module is not reflected in some tiny piece of the LEM?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #2122 on: September 14, 2015, 01:42:28 PM »
If the—if he—if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not—that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement"

Brian

You lost me at 'if'.   :o

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2123 on: September 14, 2015, 02:00:29 PM »
Not me- that is a quote from someone else. And I think he lost everyone at 'if'. Not so much that they could not impeach him over it though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_and_acquittal_of_Bill_Clinton

Brian

You lost me at 'if'.   :o
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #2124 on: September 14, 2015, 08:18:23 PM »
Not me- that is a quote from someone else. And I think he lost everyone at 'if'. Not so much that they could not impeach him over it though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_and_acquittal_of_Bill_Clinton

Brian

It makes more sense when I read it in a creepy Clinton voice.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2125 on: September 15, 2015, 04:52:34 AM »

:rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2126 on: September 15, 2015, 07:23:07 AM »

Seems there's a fine line between creepy (your take, and probably Hillary's) and sexy (Monica's take)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2127 on: September 15, 2015, 10:33:16 AM »
Seems there's a fine line between creepy (your take, and probably Hillary's) and sexy (Monica's take)
I'd guess she's rethought that by now.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2128 on: September 16, 2015, 08:26:14 PM »
So there I was, going happily and ignorantly through life, WHEN SUDDENLY I found out I am partially composed of Neanderthal man! Great! I thought my ancestors were tall, svelte, graceful and, perhaps wishfully, a handsome people only to find out that some of them thought it might be a good idea to.... er, 'have relations' with some short, wide, hairy, and I suspect of having questionable hygiene 'people' (and I am using this term loosely). But it has been a while now and I have made peace with the fact that there is a bit of.... less than desirable breeding in my woodpile, as it were. Now I find out that I my ancestors also interbred with another two species along the way, one of whom, the Denisovan seems to be close related to Neanderthal and possibly, just possibly, even shorter, wider, stouter and still having questionable hygiene. I am having trouble with the entire concept, although it most certainly does explain some things I have seen and continue to see..... but that is another discussion.

So let me suggest to anyone, everyone who may read this: if you happen to be out and about, minding your own business when you happen to see a short, hairy, smelly, grunting "human" batting her eyes at you, run! Run immediately! Do not linger and whatever you do, do NOT try to 'get to know her' in any way, shape or form. I am starting to suspect they had (have?) some magical pheromones or something that cause us (Homo Sapiens Sapiens, or 'The Tall Ones') to make terrible decisions regarding.....er, biological acts.

In closing, all I can say is 'Nice Going, great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great- Grandpa!

Brian (mostly)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2129 on: September 17, 2015, 04:35:06 AM »
So there I was, going happily and ignorantly through life, WHEN SUDDENLY I found out I am partially composed of Neanderthal man! Great! I thought my ancestors were tall, svelte, graceful and, perhaps wishfully, a handsome people only to find out that some of them thought it might be a good idea to.... er, 'have relations' with some short, wide, hairy, and I suspect of having questionable hygiene 'people' (and I am using this term loosely). But it has been a while now and I have made peace with the fact that there is a bit of.... less than desirable breeding in my woodpile, as it were. Now I find out that I my ancestors also interbred with another two species along the way, one of whom, the Denisovan seems to be close related to Neanderthal and possibly, just possibly, even shorter, wider, stouter and still having questionable hygiene. I am having trouble with the entire concept, although it most certainly does explain some things I have seen and continue to see..... but that is another discussion.

So let me suggest to anyone, everyone who may read this: if you happen to be out and about, minding your own business when you happen to see a short, hairy, smelly, grunting "human" batting her eyes at you, run! Run immediately! Do not linger and whatever you do, do NOT try to 'get to know her' in any way, shape or form. I am starting to suspect they had (have?) some magical pheromones or something that cause us (Homo Sapiens Sapiens, or 'The Tall Ones') to make terrible decisions regarding.....er, biological acts.

In closing, all I can say is 'Nice Going, great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great-great- great- great- great- great- Grandpa!

Brian (mostly)

I'm fairly certain that I saw a couple of your ancestors in Walmart the other day. You're right about that questionable hygiene...  :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #2130 on: September 17, 2015, 05:15:14 AM »
I'm fairly certain that I saw a couple of your ancestors in Walmart the other day. You're right about that questionable hygiene...  :o

I shower once a week whether I need it or not.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2131 on: September 17, 2015, 05:44:16 AM »
So there I was, going happily and ignorantly through life, WHEN SUDDENLY....

There appeared a hole in the oil pan on my Rav...

It was a beautiful day yesterday and I'm coming home from visiting a client west of Roanoke on I64 near Charlottesville when I spy some debris in the road on the center line.  Ah hah I say, wanting no part of said debris, I move over to the left lane as far as I can get.  A pickup truck in the right lane must not have seen it and clipped it throwing said debris right at me.  Oh  :censored: t!  I hear the thudding underneath the vehicle and think this isn't good.  It could have have been worse, it could have been through the windshield and taken me from the land of the living and away from tormenting the membership.  That would be most sad indeed methinks.

I'm continuing down the road and see what looks like smoke coming out of the rear of the vehicle.  It's really wispy so I'm not sure if it there at all.  Get off the interstate at Shadwell and head towards Gordonsville on 22.  The oil light begins to flicker and I'm thinking Oh  :censored: k!  There really isn't anywhere to pull off so I slow down and look for anywhere suitable.  Turn off on a side which has a convenient commercial gravel drive, cut the car off, and look under the car....oil is pouring out of the pan.

Call AAA and ask for a tow to Fredericksburg and they say the wait is nearly two hours.  45 minutes later the tow truck pulls up.  I then spend the next hour and a half enjoying the conversation with the tow operator as we go towards Fredericksburg.  Very professional young man (25).  I enjoyed the ride.  Dropped off at Rosner Toyota where I hear one of service writers talking to someone saying that they are so busy it will be next week before they get to her.....sigh.

I'm thinking it will be next week before they even look at it.  That's ok though, as I have the bike and my truck available.  I get a call later in the afternoon and was told that they were able to get a look at it and the price so far is just for the pan and installation....$510 and if that's all the damage involved it will be ready by this afternoon late.

I'm hoping that there isn't any engine damage.  The engine sounded fine when I cut it off so I'm hoping it's ok.   What a day...

BTW, the debris was one of those large straps that truckers use to tie down those large loads on flat beds.  The buckle is huge.  I daresay if it had bounced higher I'm not sure I'd be here writing this....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2132 on: September 17, 2015, 06:11:42 AM »
Take the pan to the local welding shop and have it fixed for $25.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2133 on: September 17, 2015, 06:57:31 AM »
I'm not worried about the cost.  I just need it back and operational as soon as possible.  It would be a lot cheaper that way but I just don't have the time futz with it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #2134 on: September 17, 2015, 09:59:12 AM »
Take the pan to the local welding shop and have it fixed for $25.

Lots of them nowdays are cast aluminum. Real thin and easy to break.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2135 on: September 17, 2015, 10:02:05 AM »
I don't know on this one.  The tow operator was saying that some Fords have plastic pans.  He also said he's never seen an oil pan holed.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #2136 on: September 17, 2015, 11:06:45 AM »
I don't know on this one.  The tow operator was saying that some Fords have plastic pans.  He also said he's never seen an oil pan holed.

It's fairly common to see them (especially the aluminum ones) cracked, maybe not so much as "holed". Often people keep driving until the engine stops from oil starvation despite that RED warning light, thinking its an "oil level advisory" instead of NO OIL PRESSURE warning.
Transverse mounted engines in smaller cars catch a lot of road hazard stuff. I have a "panzer plate" on the VW. It's aluminum, transverse mounted and susceptible especially in the winter here from icebergs off semi-trucks, etc. 
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2137 on: September 17, 2015, 04:01:39 PM »
Now that was a great post- informative, enlightening and funny. And it was funny too. :-)

A few years back, a gentleman used a Feejer (Yamaha FJR) to set a new 'corner to corner of the USA' time record, starting in Deadhorse, AK and ending in Key West, FL in something like 86 hours (not sure of the actual time but it was too short to cover the distance he covered in that amount of time). Apparently the first 300 or 400 miles of road is 'gravel' and it took him three starts to make the trip; one start a tire shredded on the 'gravel', and another time a piece of 'gravel' smashed the bottom of the engine's oil pan away. The third time was the charm. They must have some heroic 'gravel' on that logging road to Deadhorse though....  :yikes:

Brian

It's fairly common to see them (especially the aluminum ones) cracked, maybe not so much as "holed". Often people keep driving until the engine stops from oil starvation despite that RED warning light, thinking its an "oil level advisory" instead of NO OIL PRESSURE warning.
Transverse mounted engines in smaller cars catch a lot of road hazard stuff. I have a "panzer plate" on the VW. It's aluminum, transverse mounted and susceptible especially in the winter here from icebergs off semi-trucks, etc.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2138 on: September 19, 2015, 06:25:27 PM »
The last question on a psychology exam at UMD:

"Here you have the opportunity to earn some extra points on your final paper grade. Select whether you want 2 points or 6 points added to your final paper grade. But there is a small catch: if more than 10% of the class selects 6 points, then no one gets any points. Your responses will be anonymous to the rest of the class, only I will be able to see the responses.

[2] Points
[6] Points  "

This is based on the economic (and social science) concept called 'Tragedy of the commons.". It was coined by an English economist in 1833 (the concept, not the professor's question quoted above) and it works as well today as it did then. The results today are the same as they were in 1833.

I did not envision the outcome by a country mile.  ;)
Brian

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2139 on: September 19, 2015, 06:40:37 PM »
8)