Author Topic: Keypass dies on trip  (Read 29521 times)

Offline Cuda

Re: Keypass dies on trip
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2013, 09:27:15 AM »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2013, 09:39:34 AM »
haters!  :(

Steve, I've been working a theory for a while.  Do you agree that the mad pow-ah is mad enough that disparaging remarks might affect karma at a level disproportionate to disparaging remarks about other parts of our beloved bike?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2013, 10:15:33 AM »
Steve, I've been working a theory for a while.  Do you agree that the mad pow-ah is mad enough that disparaging remarks might affect karma at a level disproportionate to disparaging remarks about other parts of our beloved bike?

^^^because of the awesomeness of the question, can I not agree nor disagree this time
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2013, 11:48:37 AM »
When the wind bends the reed, is it the wind or the reed that is stronger? If a motorcycle falls in the woods, and no one is there trying to start it, can KiPass really be stuck? Can we really know the will of KiPass?

These are the ponderous questions with which we struggle daily. I do not think we can ever know the answers and have no choice other than to put our faith in KiPass and forge ahead.

A KiPass fob in your pocket is like a song in your heart.... an inner light that cannot be extinguished..... a special tranquility that touches all within its range..... and stuff like dat dare.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2013, 12:01:38 PM »
When I'm home my FOB is ALWAYS in the right pocket of my jeans. When I travel on business I leave the FOB home lest I loose it. But when I reach into my right pocket and the FOB is not there, I feel incomplete. A sort of sadness knowing that I am thousands of miles from my FOB.  :'(

Offline PH14

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2013, 12:22:30 PM »
KIPASS didn't fail.  A piece of stamped steel and weak spring did.  Same components a keyed system use.

Yes... no. KIPASS electronics didn't fail, but its mechanics did. With a regular key it would still work.

Offline PH14

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »
Clean a C14!?   

I'm afraid of this washing the bike thing people speak of. I'm concerned it may cause the saddlebags to fall off. I will never do something so drastic as to remove the protective dirt from my bike.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
When I'm home my FOB is ALWAYS in the right pocket of my jeans. When I travel on business I leave the FOB home lest I loose it.

I have one and only one riding jacket (it is a 3-way convertible).  The fob lives in the inner zipped pocket of the jacket and I don't have to think about the fob, ever.  It is never misplaced, it is never lost, and I don't have to remember to bring it or have it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2013, 04:32:51 PM »
When the wind bends the reed, is it the wind or the reed that is stronger? If a motorcycle falls in the woods, and no one is there trying to start it, can KiPass really be stuck? Can we really know the will of KiPass?

These are the ponderous questions with which we struggle daily. I do not think we can ever know the answers and have no choice other than to put our faith in KiPass and forge ahead.

A KiPass fob in your pocket is like a song in your heart.... an inner light that cannot be extinguished..... a special tranquility that touches all within its range..... and stuff like dat dare.

Brian

Sigh....

If you use contact cleaner be SURE that it says safe for ALL plastics on the label. Not all are.

Good point.  I never checked the label on mine but I could have sprayed it with silicone instead of contact cleaner...either way it still works (he says knocking on wood)..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »
I'd be wary of silicone spray too- all the stuff I've seen has some kind of a wax or wax- like base that leaves some terrible pond scum looking stuff behind. It works great.... for about two days and then starts the gumming process.

And sigh back at ya' 'cause this is a KiPass thread and as we all know, a KiPass thread 1) can't be ruined because it is pre- ruined and 2) at least someone, and hopefully many, has to keep up the mysticism that is KiPass in all its glory.   ;)

Brian

Sigh....

Good point.  I never checked the label on mine but I could have sprayed it with silicone instead of contact cleaner...either way it still works (he says knocking on wood)..
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2013, 11:17:07 PM »
I doubted KiPass one night, and it about VAPORIZED my arse  :o

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2013, 04:36:03 AM »
I'd be wary of silicone spray too- all the stuff I've seen has some kind of a wax or wax- like base that leaves some terrible pond scum looking stuff behind. It works great.... for about two days and then starts the gumming process.

And sigh back at ya' 'cause this is a KiPass thread and as we all know, a KiPass thread 1) can't be ruined because it is pre- ruined and 2) at least someone, and hopefully many, has to keep up the mysticism that is KiPass in all its glory.   ;)

Brian

Brian is right about those silicone sprays. Please keep the silicone where it belongs.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2013, 06:49:09 AM »
^^^^she's looking for a guy with a FOB  ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2013, 08:23:01 AM »
Yep, you simply CANNOT ruin a KiPass thread. No matter how hard one may try....

:rotflmao:

Brian

^^^^she's looking for a guy with a FOB  ;)

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2013, 03:10:11 PM »

I found this on YouTube.   Kipass failure Kawasaki Concours 14

The guy has everything off the front so you can see what's going on.

Offline Makz58

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2013, 03:30:25 PM »
Yes I have seen this he does add some interesting twists to the problem.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2013, 04:20:37 PM »
Interesting video but it he uses the word "switch" interchangeably with "solenoid". He is attempting to "fix" the solenoid that isn't broken. It is the actual switch on the left side at the 9 o'clock position from the stove knob that is sticking and needs to be fixed with a cleaning and stronger spring.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2013, 04:28:47 PM »
Give that man a cheroot!

Yep, the switch that sticks is on the other side of the ignition switch housing and does not look anything like that solenoid. The solenoid he was tinkering with is the one that controls the shot- pin that stops the ignition switch from being turned unless KiPass gives the 'okey dokey' to the bike that it has a valid fob signal. Put another way, the man was addressing a symptom, not the underlying problem.

Brian

Interesting video but it he uses the word "switch" interchangeably with "solenoid". He is attempting to "fix" the solenoid that isn't broken. It is the actual switch on the left side at the 9 o'clock position from the stove knob that is sticking and needs to be fixed with a cleaning and stronger spring.

Offline Coomers

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2013, 01:00:16 PM »
So I sprayed the hell out the key area and 9 o'clock switch with an alcohol based contact cleaner. The switch worked for the first time since having the trouble. I went for a short ride and tried the switch about 10 times, so far so good. I hope this will just be a maintenance thing but I have a feeling I haven't seen the last of the kiPass issue.

Thanks for all the help,

Son of Pappy

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »
Just promise to not go backwards and buy an FJR ;) ;D