Author Topic: Seat cover for commuting?  (Read 6340 times)

Offline topsy_t

Seat cover for commuting?
« on: May 25, 2011, 08:42:35 AM »
Been using the C14 for commuting this year, and a guy at work with a different type of bike uses a seat cover for when it's in the parking lot to protect the seat from the sun.  Is the stock seat prone to breaking down when sitting in the sun all day?
'11 Ninja 1K
'07 Tuono

Offline CrashGordon

Re: Seat cover for commuting?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 09:15:50 AM »
Long term sun exposure is never good, but it's much worse for a leather seat than for a vinyl one.  The Concours seat is going to be pretty durable and should hold up just fine unless you're parking it for hours every day in the southern sun--and even then it will probably last a while. I suspect the guy you're talking about may have a leather seat. They're prone to drying out and cracking due to overexposure and excessive heat. They also shouldn't be left in the rain so maybe he's worried about rain. Either that or he doesn't want to burn his tushy when he gets back on it. ::)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 09:18:09 AM »
Stock seat cover does get plenty hot!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 09:21:39 AM »
I don't know if Connie's seat is any more or less susceptible to sun damage than anything else but I use a Nelson Rigg UV-2000 in XL cover on mine. The cover is very light and it's very reflective and keeps the bike cool and prevents fading.

In the pic the cover doesn't look very reflective, but it is.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 09:31:17 AM »
Yeah, if I had to park out in the sun I'd be much more worried about the paint than the seat. Luckily, mine lives in the garage at home and it gets to wait near the door under the awning when I commute to work.  The only time the seat sees the sun is when I'm on a trip or out where I have to park in a traditional parking space.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 09:44:09 AM »
I don't know if Connie's seat is any more or less susceptible to sun damage than anything else but I use a Nelson Rigg UV-2000 in XL cover on mine. The cover is very light and it's very reflective and keeps the bike cool and prevents fading.

How small does that fold up?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 10:13:42 AM »
How small does that fold up?

It comes with a nice lil case, prolly about half the size of a loaf of bread. I could take you a pic but I didn't ride today. It was pouring rain this morn and they're talking about some bad storms this afternoon, hail and junk.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 02:20:18 PM »

Doesn't that massive potato launcher melt it though if it was just ridden Conrad, or is it heat resistant??  ???

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 02:45:22 PM »

Doesn't that massive potato launcher melt it though if it was just ridden Conrad, or is it heat resistant??  ???

That pic isn't of my bike ZG, I don't have the launcher anymore anyways. I tuck the cover between the can and the bag, the Area P doesn't get that hot anyway.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »
That pic isn't of my bike ZG, I don't have the launcher anymore anyways. I tuck the cover between the can and the bag, the Area P doesn't get that hot anyway.

:yikes:   

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »

Folded up?  While you are riding?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 02:53:14 PM »
I walked right into that one didn't I?

I don't pull the cover over the exhaust when I cover my PARKED bike.

When I'm riding the cover lives inside one of the bags, happy now?    8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 03:01:09 PM »

I walked right into that one didn't I?

All good brutha, my mind just lives in a gutter...  ;)

YoDoc

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 10:33:26 AM »
You could check out these guys if all you want/need is a SEAT cover, or a whole bike cover is too big to carry everyday.

http://www.genuinecoolass.com/

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 06:45:37 AM »
You could check out these guys if all you want/need is a SEAT cover, or a whole bike cover is too big to carry everyday.

http://www.genuinecoolass.com/

Like I said, the UV2000 folds down into a bag that's about half the size of a loaf of bread, that's not too big to carry everyday at all. YMMV

Offline topsy_t

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 07:00:17 AM »
Thanks for the input
'11 Ninja 1K
'07 Tuono

YoDoc

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 10:22:45 AM »
Like I said, the UV2000 folds down into a bag that's about half the size of a loaf of bread, that's not too big to carry everyday at all. YMMV

Roger, that's the same cover I have.